Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Which rod to make into single handed Switch

Just back into fly fishing and thinking of making one of my 8 weight rods - for Tributary Steelhead fishing - into a single handed Skagit type rod.

I have a 9 foot 8 weight Greys GRXI+ and a Fenwick Aetos 9 foot 8 weight.

Which one would make the better rod to set up for a single handed switch rod and what set up should I look for?

have a Greys GTS 500 with 3 spools to work with. Any information greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Which rod to make into single handed Switch

Are you just using the rod as is, or adding a longer bottom handle to make it a switch rod (a process I see little use in doing)? Either way you'll probably be better with whichever rod has a more full flexing action to it.
    When you ask about what setup to look for I assume you mean what line system. That depends on what method of fishing you primarily want to use; swinging or nymphing.

Blog Entries

Don't think this is an approach that will work. You can fish a switch line on a SH rod, but you can't make a SH into a switch.
    The point for me, is the reach you get with a switch...10'6" to 11' is the ticket.
    Just sell both of those single hand rods and get a real switch rod.
    You will be much happier.

Jim
    Last edited by Bigfly; 12-31-2018 at 01:15 PM.
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

4. Likes Ard, tcorfey liked this post

I guess what I'm looking for is which rod would be better for running a switch line on. Mainly this will be for swinging as I will have the other rod for traditional single hand work.
    This year is about fishing minimum one day a week and at least every third weekend trip anywhere that involves fish.

Perhaps instead of a switch line a Single hand spey line would work better for you?

Here is a nice write up on spey/Skagit/Single hand spey using RIO lines by Reds fly shop.
    UPDATED! - Spey Line Selection Chart for OPST Commando Heads and Switch Rods > Fishing Reports & Blog > Red's Fly Shop

Besides RIO lines SA, Wulff, Airflo etc... all make lines that are designed to work well with Single hand spey cast and swinging techniques.

Of course as Bigfly pointed out a longer rod than 9' is still preferable but not absolutely necessary for these techniques.

Heck, I use these techniques to swing flies on 9' rods with DT lines or long belly fly lines all the time.

Regards,

Tim C.

7. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Thanks, That chart was Very Useful!!!
    This year is about fishing minimum one day a week and at least every third weekend trip anywhere that involves fish.

9. Likes Ard, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Seems like you might need to cast a switch to understand the love......I actually throw spey casts on all my rods, dry fly and the rest. But, I cannot get switch rod performance with the other sticks......you try it and you may not go back to your rod afterwards......you get more work done with less effort.

Jim

Bigfly

11. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I agree with you however I mainly fish big steelhead and salmon that are on fairly narrow rivers-creeks that have sections with tough back casting which is why I was thinking of making one of my rods set up for skagit casting....I may be wrong but in most of my situations a 9 footer will do although being able to do spey casts in certain areas would he awesome. Was wondering more about what rod, Grey's GRXI or the Fenwick Aetos would be better in my situation.

If I start fishing more wider rivers more often I will defiantly buy a switch or small spey rod......or if I go back to the east coast this summer.......

Blog Entries

I think I'd try a 8-9wt skandi or salmo taper and if you swing use a sinking leader. If it's small water a skagit is probably overkill on distance, and is difficult to mend....gotta ad a reach cast every cast to help.
    You can stop overhand casting, I rarely do it now. When you can roll cast or snap-T cast to 60+ft, why would you?
    If it's as small a water as you say, it should be easy to reach them.
    What folks don't consider......the longer rod allows you to play the fish better as well...the longer lever (held sideways) they have a hard time resisting.

Jim

Bigfly

14. Likes Ard, mcnerney liked this post

I think you've got the right idea, a 9 foot 8 weight and a SH Skagit head if you're going to swing on GL tribs. I love my 2 handers, but after a day on a smaller GL trib this fall I was wishing I had brought a 9 foot 8 weight instead of an 11 foot 6 weight. The shorter rod is so much easier in those confined spaces, the short head keeps your D loop out of the bushes, and the shorter rod gives you more leverage against big fish headed towards snags. A Skagit isn't a distance line, that's what longer bellies are for, they're designed to deliver a heavy payload with very little effort in limited casting room. That's exactly what you want on those smaller GL tribs where the fish will likely be holding in a 3 foot deep slot that's the size of a bathtub along the far bank maybe 30 feet away.
    I don't know which of your rods will be the better one for this, I'd try them both, but whichever one has the slower action will most likely be the better Skagit rod. You might feel differently, though, the only way to know is to compare them.

16. Likes mcnerney liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast