Which rod to make into single handed Switch

Ontarioflyguy

Reaction score
Just back into fly fishing and thinking of making one of my 8 weight rods - for Tributary Steelhead fishing - into a single handed Skagit type rod.

I have a 9 foot 8 weight Greys GRXI+ and a Fenwick Aetos 9 foot 8 weight.

Which one would make the better rod to set up for a single handed switch rod and what set up should I look for?

have a Greys GTS 500 with 3 spools to work with. Any information greatly appreciated.

flav

Reaction score
Are you just using the rod as is, or adding a longer bottom handle to make it a switch rod (a process I see little use in doing)? Either way you'll probably be better with whichever rod has a more full flexing action to it.
When you ask about what setup to look for I assume you mean what line system. That depends on what method of fishing you primarily want to use; swinging or nymphing.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Don't think this is an approach that will work. You can fish a switch line on a SH rod, but you can't make a SH into a switch.
The point for me, is the reach you get with a switch...10'6" to 11' is the ticket.
Just sell both of those single hand rods and get a real switch rod.
You will be much happier.

Jim

Last edited:

Ontarioflyguy

Reaction score
I guess what I'm looking for is which rod would be better for running a switch line on. Mainly this will be for swinging as I will have the other rod for traditional single hand work.

tcorfey

Reaction score
Perhaps instead of a switch line a Single hand spey line would work better for you?

Here is a nice write up on spey/Skagit/Single hand spey using RIO lines by Reds fly shop.
UPDATED! - Spey Line Selection Chart for OPST Commando Heads and Switch Rods > Fishing Reports & Blog > Red's Fly Shop

Besides RIO lines SA, Wulff, Airflo etc... all make lines that are designed to work well with Single hand spey cast and swinging techniques.

Of course as Bigfly pointed out a longer rod than 9' is still preferable but not absolutely necessary for these techniques.

Heck, I use these techniques to swing flies on 9' rods with DT lines or long belly fly lines all the time.

Regards,

Tim C.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Seems like you might need to cast a switch to understand the love......I actually throw spey casts on all my rods, dry fly and the rest. But, I cannot get switch rod performance with the other sticks......you try it and you may not go back to your rod afterwards......you get more work done with less effort.

Jim

Ontarioflyguy

Reaction score
I agree with you however I mainly fish big steelhead and salmon that are on fairly narrow rivers-creeks that have sections with tough back casting which is why I was thinking of making one of my rods set up for skagit casting....I may be wrong but in most of my situations a 9 footer will do although being able to do spey casts in certain areas would he awesome. Was wondering more about what rod, Grey's GRXI or the Fenwick Aetos would be better in my situation.

If I start fishing more wider rivers more often I will defiantly buy a switch or small spey rod......or if I go back to the east coast this summer.......

Bigfly

Reaction score
I think I'd try a 8-9wt skandi or salmo taper and if you swing use a sinking leader. If it's small water a skagit is probably overkill on distance, and is difficult to mend....gotta ad a reach cast every cast to help.
You can stop overhand casting, I rarely do it now. When you can roll cast or snap-T cast to 60+ft, why would you?
If it's as small a water as you say, it should be easy to reach them.
What folks don't consider......the longer rod allows you to play the fish better as well...the longer lever (held sideways) they have a hard time resisting.

Jim

flav

Reaction score
I think you've got the right idea, a 9 foot 8 weight and a SH Skagit head if you're going to swing on GL tribs. I love my 2 handers, but after a day on a smaller GL trib this fall I was wishing I had brought a 9 foot 8 weight instead of an 11 foot 6 weight. The shorter rod is so much easier in those confined spaces, the short head keeps your D loop out of the bushes, and the shorter rod gives you more leverage against big fish headed towards snags. A Skagit isn't a distance line, that's what longer bellies are for, they're designed to deliver a heavy payload with very little effort in limited casting room. That's exactly what you want on those smaller GL tribs where the fish will likely be holding in a 3 foot deep slot that's the size of a bathtub along the far bank maybe 30 feet away.
I don't know which of your rods will be the better one for this, I'd try them both, but whichever one has the slower action will most likely be the better Skagit rod. You might feel differently, though, the only way to know is to compare them.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Flav, not sure how you get a better lever with a short stick....
But I can see not using a big stick in the tight woods.
The OPST set up might be nice, in tight spaces.

Jim

Last edited:

huronfly

Reaction score
Sounds like your fishing Lake O tribs. Never tried either rod but the OPST setup will work nicely, I also have a wulff ambush 8wt head that works good for swinging smaller huron tribs so that's another option, but I still think OPST is best for tight streams.

lake flyer

Reaction score
I really like the Wulff ambush heads for throwing sink tips and on a single hand rod you also have the ability to haul when Spey casting. They are easy to use on an overhead cast as a shooting head, although they do land with splash. I couldn’t say which rod would be best, I think that depends on your casting style or preference.

Ontarioflyguy

Reaction score
I think you've got the right idea, a 9 foot 8 weight and a SH Skagit head if you're going to swing on GL tribs. I love my 2 handers, but after a day on a smaller GL trib this fall I was wishing I had brought a 9 foot 8 weight instead of an 11 foot 6 weight. The shorter rod is so much easier in those confined spaces, the short head keeps your D loop out of the bushes, and the shorter rod gives you more leverage against big fish headed towards snags. A Skagit isn't a distance line, that's what longer bellies are for, they're designed to deliver a heavy payload with very little effort in limited casting room. That's exactly what you want on those smaller GL tribs where the fish will likely be holding in a 3 foot deep slot that's the size of a bathtub along the far bank maybe 30 feet away.
I don't know which of your rods will be the better one for this, I'd try them both, but whichever one has the slower action will most likely be the better Skagit rod. You might feel differently, though, the only way to know is to compare them.
Perfect...you understand my fishing grounds...I'm thinking from the revealed chart that a skagit head up to 300 gr will do..I can single hand cast most of it but there are stretches of river that require skagit or spey casts.....so much research bet have a few months...almost very warm winter here.....

Ontarioflyguy

Reaction score
Ok you all are starting to give me some good advice for my situation....yes GL tribs.....some of the creeks and the Ganaraska River...none large but hold large fish...Most spots give no back cast although I have caught some. Will try to figure out which rod is better for single handed skagit and give it a go this spring

Ontarioflyguy

Reaction score
As per the chart posted above I purchased a 300gr Airflo spey/switch sCOUT and 150' 30lb Airflo mono Impact running line.
I'm know researching best ways to finish the set up. I really want to try a single hand 8wt skagit/spey caster in some tight spots this spring.

All info and advice is appreciated as am new to this type of casting. I will likely buy a 11' switch down the road but want to try a short type switch/skagit/spey on some tight GL tribs.

Any advice are info please feel free to offer.

ddb

Reaction score
Try an OPST Smooth line with a short -- 5' or 7.5' -- head. It softens the line splash down. To get flies down use the split shot below the fly drop shot style -- fewer hangups and the fly rides right in the fish's face.

ddb

Last edited:

Ontarioflyguy

Reaction score
Kinda unfamiliar with this set up...so I assume I'm going to add a 100 yards or so of backing then attach to my 150' of 30lb mono running line then attach my Skagit Scout head. I figure I need possibly three heads from floating to sinking of different rates and then my leader. Going to do a few tests to figure out which rod is the more flexible overall....
If anyone has any more input feel free.

ddb

Reaction score
Do you mean three different "tips" of varying weights to attach to the Skagit scout head?

ddb