Short switch rods...

ryc72

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with shorter switch rods in the 10’0” to 10’6” length? Seems like most switch rods are 11’0” and very few are made at a length shorter...t&t, Beulah, meiser, Douglas being the few that does the shorter lengths. Does anyone have any experience with them in the shorter lengths in 6wt and/or 7wt? In particular the t&t and Beulah rods. Thanks!

kayo

Reaction score
I have a Meiser 10' 4wt switch rod. My go to rod for streamers on small to medium rivers. On switch rods a 4wt is comparable to a 6wt SH rod. Learning curve is higher on shorter rods. Call Bob at the shop, he'll give you a doctorial in switch rods.

ryc72

Reaction score
Thanks Kayo. Would you say you use it more as a regular single hand rod? Single hand spey? Scandi? Skagit? Two handed overhead? May I ask how you have the rod lined with each application? Just tying to get a feel for how people like to use a short switch to see if it’s as versatile as I fantasize it might be. What would you say the compromises are of a short switch if there are any?

huronfly

Reaction score
I use a sub 10' two handed #4 with an OPST head to spey cast and fish trout and bass, I also use a DT6 if I am swinging smaller soft hackles. Longer rods have some advantages, like being able to mend and control line at a greater distance, and cast further. But short rods have advantages too, like casting with limited room behind you, easy casting with a compact stroke, and better feel while fishing.

It's up to you to determine if the extra length is needed, I don't see much difference between 10' and 11' though.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
They have their place although I didn't specifically buy one. I guess you could say I owned one before they became known as 'Switch Rods'.

Mine is a 1984 Orvis Light Salmon 9'6" with a 3 1/2" extension butt. It's an 8 weight that I've used a Javelin line on for years. A Javelin is a British micro brand very similar to the Rio Outbound or now their S.H. Spey lines. So you can call it a Scandi line having a34 foot head with integrated vinyl runner. It makes a fine small stream or braided river trout and light salmon rod.

I tried to point another member toward a ten foot 9 weight in mint condition on the auction site but he was not interested. A nine weight in the old Orvis full flex graphite will use a line in the 325 to 375 grain range. The action of the rods lends itself to spey casting or overhead as needed. The bottom cork is removeable which I find a nice touch on shorter rods.

The rod for sale has been relisted and the seller is prepared to accept offers. It's a 3 piece rod, if I didn't already own the 9 1/2 foot eight weight I would have bought the 10 instantly on sight. Just search Orvis Graphite Rod on the auction, I'd start at 200 because I think it's worth it. If anyone buys it please let me know, I already know you'll like it.

Here are a few pics of mine, the butt extension seen in the photos is the 2" but I have a 3 1/2' also for Spey casting. I've also taken to using a vintage Marquis 8/9 instead of the Viscount you see in the photos.

Super quality rods from another era that will last a lifetime. BTW mine is the 2 piece, the 10 footer for sale is a 3 piece :)

kayo

Reaction score
Thanks Kayo. Would you say you use it more as a regular single hand rod? Single hand spey? Scandi? Skagit? Two handed overhead? May I ask how you have the rod lined with each application? Just tying to get a feel for how people like to use a short switch to see if it’s as versatile as I fantasize it might be. What would you say the compromises are of a short switch if there are any?
Set up
Hardy Ultralight 6000 DD.
OPST 25# lazar line
OPST 225gr 13ft commando head
OPST 12' commando 96gr sink tip
Cutthroat 36" furled spey leader

I go fishing it goes fishing. All I fish with is with steamers.
Casting versatility is what's all about.

flytie09

Reaction score
I have a 10'6" Beulah Classic 6 WT switch rod. It's a nice rod. It's light in hand and you can still put some muscle to large fish. It has limitations as far as flies it can huck and distance. With the lines available to us today.....almost anything is possible.

I like it for swinging sparser flies in lower water in the fall and spring on smaller streams. Coupled with a Scandi Short or Rage Compact, it gets the job done nicely and won't abuse you.

ryc72

Reaction score
Thank you folks for your input. Not that anyone on this site ever needs an excuse or nudging to buy more stuff but I think I’m gonna treat myself and try one of those shorter 6wt switch rods. Discovering this switch/spey world is dangerous. If anyone else has any more thoughts, comments, I’d still like to hear them. Thanks.

Ard, go get that rod.

flav

Reaction score
When switches first started gaining popularity you saw a lot more 10' and 10'6" rods than you do now. I've owned a couple and cast a few others that were under 11 feet over the years and I actually prefer that length. My situation is that I prefer fighting a steelhead on a shorter SH rod, but I prefer casting a longer rod (two handed). The switch is a compromise for me, I can cast it like a spey (I never cast a switch single handed or overhead), but it fights a big fish more like a single hander than one of my 12+ foot speys.

I think you'll be happy with a shorter 6 weight switch. It'll be about perfect for steelhead and you may find it useful in the salt for stripers in some situations as well.

ryc72

Reaction score
thank you everyone for your input. the rod in question was a t & t 10'0" 6wt dna switch rod that was on ebay. i put a bid on it and then forgot about it and when i remembered the rod sold $5 higher than my bid to someone else. this dang day job getting in the way of my fishing fantasies!!! aaaaaargh. thanks again for your input and opinions. on the bright side, it gives me something to stalk going forward...

ryc72

Reaction score
One day I’d love to be able to do that. Unfortunately now is not that time. With any luck maybe in a few years I will make the time to be more hands on with this sport. As of now, I’m a mere consumer.

Ontarioflyguy

Reaction score
They have their place although I didn't specifically buy one. I guess you could say I owned one before they became known as 'Switch Rods'.

Mine is a 1984 Orvis Light Salmon 9'6" with a 3 1/2" extension butt. It's an 8 weight that I've used a Javelin line on for years. A Javelin is a British micro brand very similar to the Rio Outbound or now their S.H. Spey lines. So you can call it a Scandi line having a34 foot head with integrated vinyl runner. It makes a fine small stream or braided river trout and light salmon rod.

I tried to point another member toward a ten foot 9 weight in mint condition on the auction site but he was not interested. A nine weight in the old Orvis full flex graphite will use a line in the 325 to 375 grain range. The action of the rods lends itself to spey casting or overhead as needed. The bottom cork is removeable which I find a nice touch on shorter rods.

The rod for sale has been relisted and the seller is prepared to accept offers. It's a 3 piece rod, if I didn't already own the 9 1/2 foot eight weight I would have bought the 10 instantly on sight. Just search Orvis Graphite Rod on the auction, I'd start at 200 because I think it's worth it. If anyone buys it please let me know, I already know you'll like it.

Ard, it was me you referred this rod to and greatly appreciated. I it a little large for what I am fishing - Great Lake Tributaries but it would be an awesome Rod. Love your opinions and get great advice from your posts!

My wife seen me tying flies and buying a reel so has been really paying attention to my bank account....but if she turns a blind eye...still eyeing that rod :)

Great forum for getting good information.

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
I just finished a 9'6" 6wt (yesterday) . It is a med flx fast action rod . Havent fished it tho . You can build one of these a lot cheaper than buying them and it's not rocket science . Be careful tho , I started about 8 mos ago and now have over 30 rods sitting around , it's addicting .