Who owns one of the newer Winston Spey rods?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 15 foot 7/8 that I like but it is an old rod. By old I mean about 19 years and I was looking on the Winston website for Specs on the new rods. One thing they feel I may not want to know is the weight of the new rods. I don't mean line weight I mean weight of the rod itself. So even if your rod is only a 13 footer if I knew what it weighs I'd be learning more than I did on the website...……………

If you have one I'd like to hear from you :)

zonk1085

Reaction score
I checked my 13'6" BIIITH 8wt and it does not have the weight written on the blank. The previous generation, 13'3" 7/8wt B2X, a rod I use far more frequently, has 6 5/8 oz. listed on the blank.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas, I knew either someone had one or knew where I would find weights. Could be cabin fever but I'm thinking of upgrading the 15 foot rod to a new model.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
You can send me a bill for the wasted post bandwidth, but I am going to guess the new rod will be a couple pounds lighter. I don't think I ever cast the one you have now much longer than 30 minutes and it ain't for sissies. If I ever grow 6 inches and add 40LBs of lean upper body mass I'm gettin' me one :)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd have to go get it out of the tube to check Dewayne but I think it's at least 13.7 ounces. It's the Derek Brown rod with wood insert and yeah it can get heavy. My original plan was to just buy a Bauer RX reel that would be 4 ounces lighter than my old Vortex 9/10 that I use with the rod now. But then if I cut the rod down to 9 oz. and a reel that weighs 7.8 that sets up a 1 pound rod without the 600 grain line...…...The total weight difference would be somewhere in the 10 ounces neighborhood.

I'll have to consider the weight loss vs. the cash loss before I act. The reel is a given, I'll be placing orders for the 2019 toys next month and the RX-5 is on the list. If I keep the DBS rod I also keep lots of money too. The DBS rod casts like a dream and I like it. The trick is long casts & long swings combined with a good long dangle. if you use the rod that way it isn't really tiring at all and as far as looks you'd never know the difference between the old and the new rods unless you are a Winston pro.

Just thinking I should have something other than Sage rods in the new models, the Sage's work really well but...…….. Time will tell. Maybe keep the money and stay focused on that second boat :)

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I didn't really know of course, but I was thinking the rod must weigh roughly double my Beulah 12-7, which isn't exactly Beulah's ultra light model. In any event, it's been a fine rod that has served you well. I sure don't think it would be a bad idea to grab a lighter modern rig. You are still a strong guy with the extra long arms for leverage, but I see no sense in making this harder than it needs to be. A few years down the road the classic big rod will be less pleasant if you use it all day. There are enough vintage things in our lives. :)