New Rod Offerings from Beulah

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and
Have any of you been tracking new rod offerings from Beulah? I was told by a dealer that the new version of the Platinum spey two hander rod, G2, was supposed to be out within a couple of weeks. As I am looking at their two handers from the Platinum series, any insight /scoop would be appreciated. Thanks.

City Rat

Reaction score
Well it turns out that the rumours are true. Beulah just came out with a member of the Platinum Spey series, the G2. I had a pre-order in after getting a tip. They arrived on Wednesday and it just arrived at my door today. I ordered the 13' 8" in 8/9wt as a steelhead/ salmon rod. There were other choices around that same length but none that I could get to fit in an airline overhead compartment, because it breaks down into 6 sections, not 4, making it the most practical choice for me. I spent time spey casting for steelhead on the Cowlitz River in Washington, State over the 4th of July holiday and was hooked. There is a nice wide place where I can practice on the Potomac while bass fishing, until I can get time to head up to NY and catch the steelhead and/or salmon run. Here are a few pics of my first, never previously owned stick!20190810_180613.jpg20190810_180628.jpg20190810_180635.jpg20190810_180651.jpg20190810_180928.jpg

flav

Reaction score
I haven't seen the new G2, but if it's anything like the old Platinum, it'll be a great rod. I've fished the 12'6" 6 weight, a perfect rod for PNW summer steel, and it was one of the nicest, and easiest, casting rods I've ever fished. I've cast the 11'7" 5wt and the 10'4" 6 wt switch too, but haven't fished them. They're both great casting rods, but I really love that 11'7". Have fun with that new stick.

planettrout

Reaction score
Last year, I was looking for the older Beulah Platinum 13',2", 7wt. Nobody in Lewiston or in Peck (Red Shed) had one in stock. Back in mid-July, one of the guys at the Red Shed ( not Poppy ) told me that Beulah rods were no longer a stocked item in their inventory.

With two of my kids at The Red Shed July, 2019...

Things are not looking good for steelhead fishing on The Clearwater this year although The Red Shed will still hold their very popular "clave" in September.

Updated information from The Red Shed Fly Shop:

CLAVE

Where, BTW, did you pick up your G2 rod ???

PT/TB

City Rat

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. The old Platinum was the recommendation of both the guide and the guy who works to smooth out my casting. I will say that I was looking at their other offerings and they looked interesting and competitively priced but since there are no dealers around here I had no idea how they cast. Glad to hear more good reports.

City Rat

Reaction score
Last year, I was looking for the older Beulah Platinum 13',2", 7wt. Nobody in Lewiston or in Peck (Red Shed) had one in stock. Back in mid-July, one of the guys at the Red Shed ( not Poppy ) told me that Beulah rods were no longer a stocked item in their inventory.

With two of my kids at The Red Shed July, 2019...

Things are not looking good for steelhead fishing on The Clearwater this year although The Red Shed will still hold their very popular "clave" in September.

Updated information from The Red Shed Fly Shop:

CLAVE

Where, BTW, did you pick up your G2 rod ???

PT/TB
No dealers for over 100 miles around me so I called Beulah direct. I first called a month ago to order the Platinum Spey but after talking to them about the rod they suggested that I wait a few weeks until their new rod arrived.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Beulah threads are rare here. Unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of casting a Platinum. My Classic series spey and switch rods are my most cherished fly rods I have no intention of ever replacing. I don't know if Bob Meiser was involved in the latest offerings, but he designed their early rods and they are a joy. I wasn't aware of that until I was searching for a custom line from his sidekick Steve Godshall. They share a building. That's not a bad call to make if you want some good info on what's going on at Beulah.

runningfish

Reaction score
I owned a Classic and several Platinum switch rods and the platinums were head and shoulder better than the classic. If the new G2 are anything like the old platinum or better than you've got a nice fishing rod.

What I can see different between the G2 and the old platinum from the posted pictures alone is that Beulah is going to much simpler build. Not even close to the old platinum in terms of the aesthetic which made the old plat looked like custom made rods. But I guessed what matter is the casting and the fishing side of it right?

DeWayne, Steve's cork design and accent are almost identical to Beulah's platinum. At times I thought he rolled all of Beulah grips.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I owned a Classic and several Platinum switch rods and the platinums were head and shoulder better than the classic. If the new G2 are anything like the old platinum or better than you've got a nice fishing rod.

What I can see different between the G2 and the old platinum from the posted pictures alone is that Beulah is going to much simpler build. Not even close to the old platinum in terms of the aesthetic which made the old plat looked like custom made rods. But I guessed what matter is the casting and the fishing side of it right?

DeWayne, Steve's cork design and accent are almost identical to Beulah's platinum. At times I thought he rolled all of Beulah grips.
I've heard the Platinums are very nice. Not sure I'll ever fish enough water to come close to justifying another long rod, but I wouldn't mind working a used Platinum switch into the plan someday.

Beulah's are rolled over seas, (at least they were before), but they are very clearly influenced in taper design and appearance by Meiser. I'm not saying you are getting a custom Meiser when you buy a Beulah, but you are sure getting a bargain on much of the secret sauce. Same with the Beulah branded lines. If you order a custom line for a Beulah, the recommendation won't stray far from an Elixer unless you are trying to do something outside of the box. These guys talk lol, and they're very knowledgeable guys.

Not to run this thread off course, but when I bought custom lines from Godshall for my Beulah, I wanted one to be as optimal as possible for Ard's weighted leader system. He told me he would need to do some research. He called Ard the next day. :) I thought that was exceptional customer service. He could have just cut me a line and called it a day.

runningfish

Reaction score
DW...if you are about to get a platinum switch. go get the 5wt 10ft. it is Brilliant.
That's the reason why I "chopped" the 11ft gloomis glx roaring river to 10ft. but the Beulah is stiffer and tipper-er. but my Frankenstein rod is better!

ok, i am going to un-hijacked this thread..sorry OP!

City Rat

Reaction score
If I recall correctly the Platinum G2 is deemed to be an upgrade of the Platinum series Spey by adding some of the upgraded features of the Onyx Spey series rods, e.g. guides, etc, hence that is why the G2 series is priced closer to the Onyx series prices. I have no idea beyond that regarding features. Hopefully they will update their web site with a description of the G2 line in a roll out of the to the rest of the world. This is the first time that I went out and purchased a rod straight on the recommendation of anyone without casting it myself. I did it based on the guide who watched me spey cast his Reddingtons for hours and strongly recommended the Platinum as the right rod for me as continue to improve my spey casting. I can hardly wait for this weekend to come so that I can get out on the water with this thing and