6wt. Double hand Spey rods..

LukeNZ

Reaction score
Hey gang!

Am considering a Thomas and Thomas 13'6" 6wt. DNA Spey rod.

I am wondering if anybody has one and can tell me how they like it and any Scandi line preferences?

In addition, it would only see use as a trout spey - we have plenty of wide rivers here and trout spey swinging is essentially all I do these days.

Would the T&T 6wt. DNA Spey be too much rod for rainbows in the 2lb. to 8lb. size range (I catch a lot around the 5lb. mark).

Cheers,
Luke.

LukeNZ

Reaction score
Not too much rod in my opinion, I prefer more rather than less when fish can run large.
Thanks Ard, will be stateside from Thursday for a month, so am looking to bring something useful home, and save the import duty..

Do you have any experience with the T&T 13’6” 6wt. DNA Spey rod?

Am also pretty keen on sorting a custom Meiser 13’ MKX 4/5wt. too when I pass through Medford OR. on the way up to BC.

Have never seen one of Bob’s rods in the flesh, so am looking forward to calling in to see him.

Have you had any rain yet?

Cheers and craft brew beers,
Luke

dillon

Reaction score
I have an older 13' T&T Spey. It's a nice rod, but I don't know anything about the DNA. However, it sounds like a good match for the large trout of the size you mentioned. I use a 12 1/2 ft 6 wt for summer steelhead of about the same size. I have used an Air flo scandi line, but my preference now is there mid belly line for floating line presentations.

As you head north from Medford, a look at the North Umqua is mandatory, imo. A meal at Steamboat in would be a nice treat too!

LukeNZ

Reaction score
I have an older 13' T&T Spey. It's a nice rod, but I don't know anything about the DNA. However, it sounds like a good match for the large trout of the size you mentioned. I use a 12 1/2 ft 6 wt for summer steelhead of about the same size. I have used an Air flo scandi line, but my preference now is there mid belly line for floating line presentations.

As you head north from Medford, a look at the North Umqua is mandatory, imo. A meal at Steamboat in would be a nice treat too!
I like the way you are thinking - we will give the Steamboat a nudge for sure. Thanks for the recommendation!

The Umqua is already on the list.

Cheers and beers,
Luke.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Ard, will be stateside from Thursday for a month, so am looking to bring something useful home, and save the import duty..

Do you have any experience with the T&T 13’6” 6wt. DNA Spey rod?

Am also pretty keen on sorting a custom Meiser 13’ MKX 4/5wt. too when I pass through Medford OR. on the way up to BC.

Have never seen one of Bob’s rods in the flesh, so am looking forward to calling in to see him.

Have you had any rain yet?

Cheers and craft brew beers,
Luke
I read no further than this in the replies. If you have a hankering for a Meiser rod then forget the T&T and go directly to the rod shop. I would e-mail ahead attention to both Bob & Steve to be sure someone will be there in person when you arrive. I can't think of a better way to get the correct rod and line match up than to be in a shop where they will tailor make the line for your application.

You can always tell them (especially Steve) that Ard from Alaska has given full endorsement to your getting set up there :)

For trout I use 11 1/2 foot seven weights that use 475 grain short Scandi lines (36 foot heads) with integrated running line. These rods can easily fish fairly large tubes and other flies out to 90 feet. A 12 1/2 or 13 will only increase your range provided the rod uses a line heavy enough to carry the flies. I would add that when you decide to tie on traditional steelhead flies tied on standard hooks such as Thor, Green Butt Skunk and etc. you will see another 10 to 15 foot in the delivery range.

I am perplexed with the trend in light weight Spey rods and lines. Perplexed in that from my own personal experience the weight of the belly of your line lies in direct relationship to what you can cast at maximum ranges. I would also add that trout in the 5 pound weight class are not small and with the likelihood of hooking even larger specimens a 7 weight 2 hand rod is not overkill. When I swing flies I am thinking big fish. When I catch a small trout there is zero diminished pleasure because my rod may be better suited to an 8 pound fish.

LukeNZ

Reaction score
I read no further than this in the replies. If you have a hankering for a Meiser rod then forget the T&T and go directly to the rod shop. I would e-mail ahead attention to both Bob & Steve to be sure someone will be there in person when you arrive. I can't think of a better way to get the correct rod and line match up than to be in a shop where they will tailor make the line for your application.

You can always tell them (especially Steve) that Ard from Alaska has given full endorsement to your getting set up there :)

For trout I use 11 1/2 foot seven weights that use 475 grain short Scandi lines (36 foot heads) with integrated running line. These rods can easily fish fairly large tubes and other flies out to 90 feet. A 12 1/2 or 13 will only increase your range provided the rod uses a line heavy enough to carry the flies. I would add that when you decide to tie on traditional steelhead flies tied on standard hooks such as Thor, Green Butt Skunk and etc. you will see another 10 to 15 foot in the delivery range.

I am perplexed with the trend in light weight Spey rods and lines. Perplexed in that from my own personal experience the weight of the belly of your line lies in direct relationship to what you can cast at maximum ranges. I would also add that trout in the 5 pound weight class are not small and with the likelihood of hooking even larger specimens a 7 weight 2 hand rod is not overkill. When I swing flies I am thinking big fish. When I catch a small trout there is zero diminished pleasure because my rod may be better suited to an 8 pound fish.
I am happy to get both, (I collect a little bit too.. ) and I don’t have one of Bob’s yet...

I have a good selection of “troutspey” spey line rated 2 handed rods, ranging from 11’6” 3wt. 4wt’s 5wt’s up to 12’6”, from all the usual suspects - Sage, Burkheimer, T&T, Hardy etc.

I really like the way the T&T DNA 11’6” 3wt. handles a Scandi, but it runs out of puff when trying to turn anything over 4lb. if they make a bolt (run) down stream, on a fast run.

Have been into the backing a few times, and been caught trying to extract myself out of the river without falling into a deep hole, so that I could get back onto the bank, and run down it, to get some line back on the reel..

For the biggest river I fish - the mighty, and world renowned Tongariro, I mostly use a Sage One 12’6” 5wt., and also a Burkie Vintage custom 5115-4 , both great rods - but very different. With a fish on, the Burkie is sublime, and like the tempo of casting the Sage in the morning. But in the afternoon thevmore relaxed, and easy action of the Burkie is magic.

I think I can go longer still, than 12’6” for the size of water I cover pretty much everywhere I fish and I have several rods crossing over in the 3-5wt. spey range.

I have a Hardy spey rod (Zephyrus) in 7wt. and it is a bit sterile at that weight, on trout. I use it for really heavy lifting when rivers are high and tips run heavy..

Because Hardy Zephyrus 6/7 has a really beefy and full length Spey grip/handle, it looks pretty full on, fishing it for trout...

So that is why I am looking for a few nice options to fill the gaps between my 5 wt’s and that Zephyrus 6/7wt. - which I will happily let somebody have that has a use form something like that. It is quite short too, at only 11’6” , for my tastes and requirements.

Yes, have organised with Bob to give them a heads up, when I know an exact time and day I will be in Medford....

Will be in San Fran. on Thursday till Sunday, then dependant upon my wife... she loves wine.... and how long it takes me to extract her from the Napa valley.. after that - I will call Bob to see what can be organised without inconveniencing them - as we continue our road trip up to BC.
I can always call in on the way back down too.

But one way or another, I am determined to add a Meiser to my troutspey armoury.

I like the T&T rod selection, because they make longer rods in the lighter Spey wt’s. than most other makers. They are quality, and they cast and fish really good. I actually prefer them over the Sage troutspeys - and I have them all. They are seriously good, and I can’t say that enough.

If the 6wt. DNA Spey is anything like the 3wt. DNA, with a Scandi or a full belly line, then I just want one anyway, for the pleasure of using it!

It is nice to share the work around a lot of rods - rather than thrash the same one all the time, it’s all part of the addiction I guess!!! And , I hope nobody ever finds a cure! .....my name is Luke and I am a troutspey junkie..lol.

Cheers and cold beers,
Luke.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Obviously I'm not nearly as refined as you in my taste for rods, I do get what you are saying though. The rods I actually use are quite similar, they are a Hardy Swift 11 1/2 foot 7 weight - Sage One 13 1/2 foot for 600 grain Scandi (8 weight) and a Sage X 8 weight that I use a 540 Super Scandi with. I have other rods but they see little use on a yearly basis. This year water levels are so low I've used the Hardy all but 2 days.

LukeNZ

Reaction score
Obviously I'm not nearly as refined as you in my taste for rods, I do get what you are saying though. The rods I actually use are quite similar, they are a Hardy Swift 11 1/2 foot 7 weight - Sage One 13 1/2 foot for 600 grain Scandi (8 weight) and a Sage X 8 weight that I use a 540 Super Scandi with. I have other rods but they see little use on a yearly basis. This year water levels are so low I've used the Hardy all but 2 days.
What is it with the weather up there at the moment?

Is it genuinely a global warming thing, or part of a cyclic pattern - everything seems to be moving faster than the scientific global warming forecasts, so is it random even?

I am due a trip out your way in. 2 years - it is going to be a "milestone birthday" trip..

So beware - I will start and pester you for travel and more specific fishing, lodging and guiding information nearer the time...

It will also make me bi-polar, as I have wintered over in Antarctica as the manager of Scott Base - and as Officer of the Ross dependancy also for the NZ govt. (I am English but live in NZ these days - for the fishing),

I really am looking forward to an early spring trip very far north. Not so sure about a winter-over simply because I want to fish too! But it would be great to do a winter there when I retire!

Cheers and breakfast beers,
Luke.