Casting intermediate line on a switch rod?

Omark

Reaction score
Prospective 2-hander here wondering if I can use a small spey/switch rod (say, 9-11 ft) to cover pretty much all the fishing I do with my single-hand 6wt now.

I mostly strip streamers -- and a Skagit head + tip should work well for that. But I have occasionally needed to fish leeches on an intermediate line. Can I use my same reel/line and just overhead cast with an appropriate size switch rod, or is the design of a switch enough different from a one-hander that it's not really comparable?

[Sorry if this question has been asked and answered many times, but my (probably badly done) search didn't find anything.]

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If I understand the question you are asking if the same intermediate line & reel that you currently use on a 6 weight single hand rod on a 9 - 11 foot switch rod.

We have members here who are much more tuned into the switch rod channel than I but my reply will at least keep the topic alive and you'll get other replies.

What this will come down to is what rod are you considering purchase of. Once you transition into rods that are designed for 2 hand style casting those rods are generally a bit heavier (in their action & tapers) than a traditional single hand fly rod. Some of the switch rods and I did say "some" have a recommended line weight that you (the purchaser) need to understand in grains such as 275 grain vs. a #6 line that you may find on the shelf in a fly shop.

You certainly can use lines that are not specifically rated as Switch or Spey Lines on switch or Spey rods but you need to know the accurate belly length and grain weight in order to find the correct match to any one rod. It is that actual grain weight that matters not a single digit notation on the line or box like number 6 or 7 etc.

Reels can be moved from rod to rod at the owners discretion provided they have the capacity to hold the line and backing required for the new application and are not as proprietary in nature as the lines themselves. So, if your existing intermediate 6 weight line has enough head / belly weight to load the new rod (which you didn't specify) the line will work. The only other consideration is the actual head length of the line. For instance, a line may have a short head and while that line may preform well in a 9 foot rod for single hand touch & go type Spey casting that line may prove to be problematic if transferred to a 10' 6" rod...……….

The additional 1 1/2 foot of rod in combination with your height and the depth at which you may wade and cast from will be the determining factor in whether or not a head is too short or conversely, too long. If you stick to the single Spey or touch and go type casts almost any line with enough weight to load the rod will preform for you. If however you advance to more traditional type casts where you use a sustained anchor in setting up the cast this is where the head length can be a factor. Too short = loose or blown anchor because too much of the head is dangling between the rod tip and the anchor point on the water. Too long = stuck or sunken anchoring that hinders the rods ability to pull it up then off of the water.

huronfly

Reaction score
You can do it for sure, I used to do a fair amount of pier casting with my switch rod and intermediate line. If you are looking to keep using your 6wt intermediate line then a matching switch rod would be about a 4wt.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Ive only owned one intermediate line for a 6wt Fenwick, I must admit I hated that line on a single hand rod. I decided to cast shot or eyes over casting that line.

From what I see in my area I fish is a sizable migration from single hand rods to short switch rods, 10`-11` or more depending on size of the water. I would rather cast and swing with a 10` switch than a single hand rod everyday of the week. Most guys ask if you can Indi drift with a switch and the answer is yes, many people do both in my area, but if you are already swinging flies the jump isn't quite so bad.

Getting a workable rig, short scandi or skagit and learning the casts takes a bit of time, but I just started out roll casting, hey it worked great and I was fishing. Nobody starts at the top.

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
You can use single hand casts and methods with any double hand rod. 10-11’ switch rods would be easier than longer 13’+ spey rods. Just understand that the added length of 2 handers benefits ease of casting heavy flies longer distance, mending and controlling your fly during the swing (speed).

quattro

Reaction score
I routinely cast an intermediate line on my 11" 6wt switch rod. I throw the rio outbound short 8wt. matches the rod beautifully. Rod is a sage method 6 wt switch.

dillon

Reaction score
You can use single hand casts and methods with any double hand rod. 10-11’ switch rods would be easier than longer 13’+ spey rods. Just understand that the added length of 2 handers benefits ease of casting heavy flies longer distance, mending and controlling your fly during the swing (speed).
Yes, and Spey casting may be done with a single hand rod.

In regards to the intermediate line. I use a full intermediate on my 6wt. Single hander for Stillwater use. But, with my Spey rod I like a intermediate Skagit head for steelhead fishing. Much easier to cast than a full intermediate line.

Good discussion and information to share, even if the op is not involved...