Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: New Switch

1. Default New Switch

I was at my local flyshop on Saturday looking at Beulah rods to find out the platinum series is being discontinued,I was looking for a 11'6 wt but all were gone ,I did find a sweet 10'5wt on the discontinued rack and jumped on it 20% 0ff pretty good deal,I plan on setting the reel up with rio connectcore metered running line with a skagit head to suit next time I get to the shop.Can't wait to try it

2. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Switch

I had opportunity to use an 11 foot 8 weight Platinum a number of years ago and aside from the small bottom cork I really liked the rod. Hope you have many years of fun ahead with the new rod.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

I’ve become partial to short switch rods (let’s not kid ourselves...long switch rods too). I have a 10ft 4wt and the 6wt Beulah platinum. On your 5wt platinum I’d look at an opst or sa spey lite 275 or 300 grain head. It’s nice to be able to comfortably cast two handed or single handed with those shorter rods.

Blog Entries

My favorite is a very old Orvis Light Salmon eight weight (300 grain) that is just 9 1/2 foot long but with a 4" bottom cork. I can make casts across a river with that rod as if it were a 12 foot rod.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

I've cast the platinum 7wt switch and 6wt spey, but my favorite is the 11'7" 5wt spey. I'm sure you'll like that little 5wt.
    I knew they discontinued the platinum and replaced it with the GII platinum, but I didn't realize Beulah stopped making the switches and now has a lineup of 12ft trout speys.