Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Adversely affected spey cast?

Yes, you are sure. It was only hypothetic question.

I think that we can close this discussion.

Many thanks to all.

Sorry, I want to ask one question. When I use lighter scandi head than "optimum" is there any cast, which loads rod deeply than other cast? If no, how should I be able to affect level of loading? Is it about large of D-loop?

Blog Entries

Describing how I vary the loading of a rod in text is nearly impossible for me but a short answer is 'yes you can to an extent'. I don't study you tube videos and am not sure what my casts are called therefor I can't provide a name and trying to describe what I do is not easy. What I said earlier about lines being too light is I believe an across the board rule. That 375 grain that we tried to use on a rod needing 475 could not be made to work properly. It had neither the mass to properly load the rod or to carry the tube fly.

I would avoid going light on a line.

For the sake of disclosure; I've been casting the same way since 1994 using many different type of set ups for my casts, essentially that was before the advent of You Tube and the popularity of "Spay" casting. Because of this and the fact that my casting seems better than many I see I've never had the desire to watch. If you don't have 26 years to refine your casting then I would suggest searching and watching videos

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by transporti686 View Post
    Sorry, I want to ask one question. When I use lighter scandi head than "optimum" is there any cast, which loads rod deeply than other cast? If no, how should I be able to affect level of loading? Is it about large of D-loop?
    My favorite cast with a light line, Scandinavian dry line is the single spey, I can generate line speed with that cast. I use a double spey for the heavier stuff, but as The Doctor said, Flies- I mostly fish tube flies and classics, so I don't need as heavy a line, some of the time a T-11 or the lightest intermediate scandi sinking tip.

5. Thanks transporti686 thanked for this post
  6. Default Re: Adversely affected spey cast?

With the profile of a scandi line, the thicker profile of the line is at the rear of the head. My understanding is that you need that part of the scandi head to drive your forward cast and pull the front taper in the cast. If the back section of the head is in the guides, you will be using the slimer less powerful portion of the head to the rear as well as the front and tip, creating slower line speed, which would make a larger open loop, and less tip turn over.

If you are short on casting space, and that is the reason you are stripping in your scandi head into the guides, then you should consider switching to a skagit.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

This discussion almost sounds like it's about overhead casting ? I thought spey didn't need casting room?
    When I look at scandi profiles, they appear to have a triangle taper much like the Wulff lines, and I have no trouble casting the Wulff lines with lots of head still in the guides. The only effect being reduced weight in the cast is equal to reduced distance cast, but if the casting distance is long and using a dynamic roll cast the head would not be drawn into the guides much past casting distance.
    I guess I'd need drawings to understand the problems. Fly fishing sure is a lot more complicated than I had thought at first.

8. Default Re: Adversely affected spey cast?

Quote Originally Posted by trev View Post
    This discussion almost sounds like it's about overhead casting ? I thought spey didn't need casting room?
    When I look at scandi profiles, they appear to have a triangle taper much like the Wulff lines, and I have no trouble casting the Wulff lines with lots of head still in the guides. The only effect being reduced weight in the cast is equal to reduced distance cast, but if the casting distance is long and using a dynamic roll cast the head would not be drawn into the guides much past casting distance.
    I guess I'd need drawings to understand the problems. Fly fishing sure is a lot more complicated than I had thought at first.
    Yes one of the benefits of spey casting is that it does not need alot of casting room, but the longer scandi heads need a little room, and shorter Skagit needs less and the even more compact skagits need just about no room.

The with a over head cast, it is easier to generate line speed with single hauls, double hauls and false casting, where with scandi casting it is all coming from an anchor, forming a D-loop and a roll cast.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

9. Likes trev liked this post

I guess I thought the rod length set the distance needed for a loop to develop, but I've never seen a spey cast in real life, so, I'm sure I'm missing something. If I read enough of these threads maybe a bulb will come on.

With a short skagit head you dont need much room for a D loop at all especially with a 11-12 foot rods. With my long scandi, yeah I need some room or the D loop is in the woods. I wouldn't call scandi good for back to the wall casting, although its my favorite style on big water, great distance, 10 minute swings and far less stripping, I did strip in way past the head trying to following grayling to hit, but Raven is right a shorter skagit head is better for that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12