The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 06-30-2017, 04:51 AM

eastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant future
Default Thoughts on DSR pass ?

I'm considering a DSR pass, probably the "Steelhead Pass" and I've crunched the numbers based on buying day pass vs. season on the fixed number of trips I do. It is about a break even deal until I add in more trips dependent on conditions and time. I want to maximize the potential of the river resource but also want to be sure I am leveraging my investment.

I would like to hear additional points of view & experiences to make sure I am not missing a hidden benefit that might tilt the scale either way.

Data:

My trips are generally Sun to Thurs. (departure afternoon)

3 main trips , 3rd week Oct. week before Thanksgiving and second week Dec. with two spring (fallback) trips flows depending usually April/May.

* other 'hit & run" trips for 1 1/2 days possible early Sept. and winter but limited.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:54 AM
Thoughts on DSR pass ?

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on DSR pass ?

Welcome to Oregon ..... Basic Fishing Lic., and Steelhead/Salmon 'punch cards,' will run you a bit short of $100.00. Oh .. best you have all three ... our Game Warden's are the Oregon State Police.

They are not known for humor on the river bank ....

fae
Likes eastfly66 liked this post
Old 06-30-2017, 08:46 AM

flytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant future

I'll be nice here. I wouldn't pay $900 annually or $75-$50 per day to fish any "private" land on a public waterway stocked with fish from a hatchery funded with public money. I wouldn't spend a penny to be honest with you. This is a problem threatening many of our waterways and I'm not going to add to it in good conscience. You shouldn't either. There is greed at play.

If you know what you're doing.... you don't need to fish there anyways. A 1/4 mile hike will bring you to pretty nice water. Plus there's still 250 passes issued per day for the DSR during peak run. Thats quite a few people still piled up in a 1.5 mile stretch. And everyone tries to hit the same named spots so you're in the same mess as the circus show up river.

Save your money and plan a trip out West.

ft09

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
~Syd Glasso

Last edited by flytie09; 06-30-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 06-30-2017, 04:36 PM

eastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytie09 View Post
I'll be nice here. I wouldn't pay $900 annually or $75-$50 per day to fish any "private" land on a public waterway stocked with fish from a hatchery funded with public money. I wouldn't spend a penny to be honest with you. This is a problem threatening many of our waterways and I'm not going to add to it in good conscience. You shouldn't either. There is greed at play.

If you know what you're doing.... you don't need to fish there anyways. A 1/4 mile hike will bring you to pretty nice water. Plus there's still 250 passes issued per day for the DSR during peak run. Thats quite a few people still piled up in a 1.5 mile stretch. And everyone tries to hit the same named spots so you're in the same mess as the circus show up river.

Save your money and plan a trip out West.

ft09
Good point.....have to admit I'm having a hard time dealing with that one too.....
Likes mcnerney, rockriver liked this post
Old 06-30-2017, 04:59 PM

flytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant future

Look me up in November... I'll show you some spots. And I'll only charge $25/day. . I'm looking at being up there Nov 1-11. I take cash or check.

Heck... on second thought, a case of a good IPA will suffice. I'm not looking to profit here.

ft09

~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
~Syd Glasso
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes eastfly66, bluewinged46er, mcnerney liked this post
Old 08-14-2017, 08:34 AM

bluewinged46er is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytie09 View Post
Look me up in November... I'll show you some spots. And I'll only charge $25/day. . I'm looking at being up there Nov 1-11. I take cash or check.

Heck... on second thought, a case of a good IPA will suffice. I'm not looking to profit here.

ft09
I've got a couple of growlers I will fill up and take you up on that. :-) I'll even bring the chips and home made salsa. Still looking for my first steelhead - last year was my first attempt. I plan on hitting the Cat this year but I am only 1.5 hours from the SR so I will be up there a bit. I have been bitten by this bug.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney liked this post
Old 08-14-2017, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard

If I were still 225 miles away from that area I'd have to do some thinking on the pass thing. If having one somehow streamlines your access so that you are not sitting in a line waiting to buy a daily ticket then that in itself would be worth a premium. However if I were to buy the expensive annual pass and still face wait time for admission I would balk.

Once they actually got that stretch of river cleaned up which took until around 1993 - 94, I began using it almost exclusively. Prior to that time span that section of water was just as littered and had just as many snaggers as most of the public water available. Once they gained control of the holding and policed it well it was the best place to fish on the river, especially for the steelhead.

I pay 650 annually for one boat launch pass here and 200 for another.qIuit doing the math years ago to see if I were making out. The ease of access makes it worth the expense. I face no paper work and fee on every use and can park my truck & trailer in the launch areas for weeks at a time if need be so it's good.

I don't know how conditions are on the DSR now, I don't know how many people they admit daily. If the place is crowded I would probably opt for other areas of the river, if it isn't I'd still be fishing there. When they began I believe they held the number to 300 rods / day access which on 3 miles of river front, both sides seemed reasonable back then. The daily fee was also just $15.00 and so presented a value when one considered conditions on the rest of the river.

In the end we have to make such decisions based on what we want and nothing else. Only you can decide if there is a value for you in the annual pass, if I had one I'd probably go way more often than if I were paying by the day. In my experience, frequent trips were the only way to learn how and where to be fishing during any given month and species. If it is an honest annual pass that means you have 12 months to learn the channels, troth's and current seams where the fish are to be found. It took me years to figure things out there and I'm sure things have changed by now....................

I'd probably forego a couple fly rods and buy the pass.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes eastfly66 liked this post
Old 08-14-2017, 03:14 PM

I did some asking around on this and did the math too , I'm going to run on day pass if/when I want to fish it this season and than decide for next year. It doesn't appear I will run into waiting lines , I fish only on weekdays and after Oct. 15th. There are other sections of the river I really enjoy and don't want to feel obligated to be on the DSR because I already paid for it. I can't say the pay to fish thing sits well with me but the principle of elevating the quality of the experience does and my experience there last although limited was all positive.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard

Think of it as if you were joining a club which has access to 3 miles of river reserved for club members only, maybe that will help. I can't say that I enjoy writing the checks for $850.00 worth of boat launch and parking rights every year all the way up in Alaska either but the choices are very limited.

I used to belong to a gun dog club which held lease on many acres of training and hunting terrain, I had to pay but access was limited to those who belonged. In the end it was worth the cost to never worry about some approaching individual telling me I was on property where I didn't belong.

I wish there were a stretch of river here where the knuckle draggers were not present due to fees. That's not to say that some knuckle draggers can't pony up fees but it would definitely thin the numbers.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-14-2017, 04:22 PM

Bring the growlers..... it's fish on. My eyes are glued to reports. I see decent AS numbers and so/so salmon/Steelhead numbers in lake.

Get your gear together...... because its quickly upon us. Bring your walking shoes too as I cover 4 miles of river/day. Sun-up to sun-down. Persistence will prevail.

The DSR and Tailwater isn't one of them. I'm cheap and experience and walking will yield fish. Skunk isn't on the menu.

Fish on!

ft09

~Zane Grey

~Syd Glasso