Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  43
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Default Re: Go to stillwater trout patterns

Would it be bad to use say, a size 16 zebra midge in Stillwater? Is that just too small of a hook for bigger water. Where as a bigger streamer you can move around and cover more water quicker?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Go to stillwater trout patterns

Quote Originally Posted by wr1nkles View Post
    Would it be bad to use say, a size 16 zebra midge in Stillwater? Is that just too small of a hook for bigger water. Where as a bigger streamer you can move around and cover more water quicker?
    I've done that when the fish are being super tight-lipped and if there's a decent breeze. usually that means a cold front or a high pressure system has moved in.

If the water's calm, it can work, but it's dead nuts boring. You can sit there for an hour waiting in one place, watching your bobber or whatever go nowhere.

You can sometimes get a strike under those conditions if you very gently and very slowly walk the midge back to you, with lots of longish pauses. At least you're doing something, and you're covering some water.

But if the fish are biting at all, you're better off either stripping something bigger back to you subsurface, or even stripping terrestrials. the main idea about fishing lakes is covering fishy water efficiently until you find a pod of them.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

I don't usually fish midges that small on Stillwater (I usually fish #12/14 midge patterns) but I've seen guys do well fishing #16-20's under indicators. The technique I'd suggest is to trail a small fly about 18-24" behind a small, lightly weighted/ unweighted bugger/leech and move them very slowly, with a lot of pauses, with an intermediate sinking / int sink tip line. I had a day last fall where all the fish I caught were on the small trailing fly. While I can't say for sure, I think the bugger acted as the attractor fly but when the fish investigate the smaller trailer looks more natural and closes the deal. Good luck.

Tom

#6-8 Olive Woolly Bugger
    #18 to 22 Perdigon red or black
    #16-20 Mosquito

Well as I've said many times ....lol most know , " Para-emerges klinkhammer "
    Always works for me ...I also rely on BWO ....... I guess it depends on the area you live in ? Lol. I just love the hell out of " Klinkhammer s, love tying and casting them

A Thin Mint (size 8 or 10) below an indicator about 3 1/2 feet move slow with an occasional twitch works real good here in Southern Colorado most months of the year, especially in the colder months. Personally I go fishing at one of our local lakes and take only a box of these flies with a few chromies as well and do very good all the time.

I've recently discovered balanced leeches....may be the very best stillwater fly anywhere
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234