Stillwater Large Trout- Does the Pattern even matter?

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
Fishing Streamers in Stillwaters For Large Trout (over 16") not midge fishing, strictly talking about Streamer fishing.

I've been fly fishing for over 30 years and getting around (late to the party) to fishing streamers in stillwaters. And reading books and poking around the internet and hearing trout get the more opportunistic larger they become.
Size and color (EX. using black pattern in stain water) aside. Does it matter what streamer PATTERN you are using buggers, clousers, muddlers.etc? Provided you fish it correctly. I'm getting the impression for large trout on lakes where, when,how deep, and presentation are important but the what pattern usually doesn't matter. If your fishing where large trout are feeding on crawfish for example. Does it matter if you fish a 2" brown crawfish specific pattern or a 2" brown wooly bugger, as long they are both fished the exact same way?

bbbruce77

Reaction score
Some times yes it matters. One pattern that comes to mind is a Zoo Couger which simulates a wounded or crippled minnow when fished properly. Another is Gary LaFontaines " Drunken Sailor" which is unique with its out of balance weighting which causes it to roll over when paused. Rowleys balanced leeches are another unique adaptation to a leech or streamer patterns that remains level when paused, especially under a supporting strike indicator. Fly pattern design can make a big difference in its ability to induse a strike.

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
I'm familiar with the zoo cougar (got a couple) in my fly box. And found the Balanced Leech. Interesting pattern. You have a link on tying the Drunken Sailor? I didn't find it in a search.

planettrout

Reaction score
I'm familiar with the zoo cougar (got a couple) in my fly box. And found the Balanced Leech. Interesting pattern. You have a link on tying the Drunken Sailor? I didn't find it in a search.
The "Drunken Sailor" recipe is in this book starting on page #.38...with an SBS

https://www.amazon.com/LaFontaines-Legacy-Flies-American-Master/dp/1599212757

I use a lot of streamers and buggers for high elevation lakes in the Eastern Sierras...this variation, on a Denny Rickard's Seal Bugger...

...took this 'bow for my son and I have taken some other very large Trout on other variants I tie...

...other lake patterns I use...

PT/TB

Last edited:
J

james w 3 3

Sometimes, but sometimes not.

My belief, and since I'm not a trout it's just a belief, is that most of the time trout in stillwater are opportunists. If it looks like a familiar food they'll try to eat it without regard to what they may have been eating before. Sometimes they lock in to one thing, but figuring that out is just part of the game.

I almost never fish anything as big as a Zoo Cougar. For trout I mostly fish small marabou based streamers, less than 3" long, sometimes as small as 1 1/2". I'm big on lifelike movement and natural colors. Seems odd to net a 26+" trout with a little bitty 1 1/2" bit of marabou in its jaw, but it works for me. ;)

In general I think your premise is right, the specific pattern isn't the most important thing, usually.

ahill123

Reaction score
Some of the time pattern selection matters (during specific hatches, damsels, chirnomids, etc...) and at other times its not as big of a deal. I only fish stillwater and there are definitely certain patterns that produce better than others year round. I personally don't fish big streamers like double bunnies or zoo cougars in stillwaters. I use sparse small (size 10-8) leech patterns and ANCHOR and cast. I don't troll. I feel the biggest reason most people don't pick up large trout on lakes is it they're constantly trolling and kicking through the water they're trying to catch fish in. I also know how you fish/retrieve the fly can have a huge impact on its effectiveness. Slower is almost always better, I use a slow hand twist on leeches scuds damsels etc. Hope this helps.

silver creek

Reaction score
I think the legendary Del Canty would say that patterns matter.

Del Canty - Arizona Fly Fishing Forums

https://books.google.com/books?id=2...fwmCnkQ6AEIWTAM#v=onepage&q=del canty&f=false

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f.../368252-del-canty-fly-patterns-found-1-a.html

I found the Del Canty Fly patterns I received from him when I bought his Lunker Hunter float tube . These are the first two patterns .

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/share-patterns/368289-del-canty-patterns-4-a.html

Here are several Leech patterns tied by Del Canty

Note tying method and style hook

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/350316-grizzly-shrimp.html

Del Canty and Joe Butler caught some monster trout, world records, on the "Grizzly Shrimp". If you have crayfish in your water tie up something similar. My take Sz. 6..........

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Quick hijack....
Del...What an awesome guy!!! If you ever get a chance to sit in on his lecture about catching big fish on pyramid lake, don't miss it. The only guy I know that openly admits to spending over 24 hrs in his belly boat and never, not once, going to shore. In fact, he has fallen asleep on the lake, lost his rod while sleeping, and been blown across the Pyramid in a bad storm. And his stories about brookies on the Grand Mesa will make you cry. Check him out, he's a walking fish. I'm lucky to get to visit with him regularly!

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
I've only recently learned about Del Canty and his exploits. Seems like an interesting dude. Thanks for posting the links and flies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow some really huge fish here:eek:and interesting flies.
Unfortunately for some understandable reasons the owner of the reservoir we fish most of the time banned streamers boobies and big nymphs so we only use dries and small nymphs and buzzers....my friends and I caught some big trout on a Black Kiss or an Ugly Green.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
It all depends. Same as matching hatches on rivers. For example, one of my favorite lakes hosts a awesome damsel hatch. You can still catch fish on other flies but my numbers are greatly increased by matching the damsels. So mimicking what is MOST prevalent at the time can be the ticket. No hatches, I opt for for the staple of the trouts diet (midges) or go streamers. If the waves are up, then all sorts of food can be dislodged and struggling in the lake currents. At that point anything may work.:D

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Most people overlook crayfish as a source of food for Stillwater trout. Joe Butler's record brown trout caught near the dam at Flaming Gorge was fooled by a crayfish imitation. And big wooly worms and buggers look very much like a swimming crayfish. Crayfish hold their legs and claws together as they swim and move so the lack of splayed claws on an imitation is probably a good thing. I'm wrapping a bunch now for this next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk