High Country Utah

stenacron

Reaction score
Spent the morning hiking/fishing small lakes in the High Uintas Wilderness area of Northern Utah. Great day for taking pictures in complete solitude (only car at the trailhead when I arrived). Not such a great day for "catching" fish, for me. Oh they were rising all over the place, but I threw everything that I had and only came away with a handful to show for it despite the (sometimes) frantic surface activity.

So much for starving alpine trout that will throw themselves on top of every fly that hits the water. :p

Some lake pic's:

This one from right around treeline (~11,000 feet):

This little fellow came in close for a "look-see"... a Mink I believe:

Nice Tiger from a small pothole lake on a Comparamerger:

Cutthroat... short in stature, but long in beauty:

Straight from the pages of Murphy's Law... I wrap up the rod, break out a quick lunch, and a 16-17 inch Tiger cruises by 10 feet off the shore!

Beauty is everywhere in the high country in July!

J

james w 3 3

I never ever EVER get tired of seeing pictures of and spending time in the high country.
It's not always about the fishing.
Sometimes it's just being alone in those incredibly beautiful places.
Thanks for sharing!

spm

Reaction score
Joe,
Absolutely gorgeous pictures! You are very fortunate to live near such beautiful country. Thank you for sharing it with us.

steve

stenacron

Reaction score
It's not always about the fishing. Sometimes it's just being alone in those incredibly beautiful places.
Truer words could not be spoken my friend! :thumbsupu

Sitting alone on a rocky overlook with no sights (or sounds) of civilization for as far as the eye can see is something that everyone should experience.

stenacron

Reaction score
The pull was too strong... I had to go back today... most selective fish I have come across in a very long time. Somewhat frustrating, but I did get that Tiger... turned out to be 17.5 inches!

The lake outlet framed everything perfectly for the "money shot" :)

luj333

Reaction score
Those are some beautiful pictures. That's one area that's definitely on my bucket list.