Guanacaste - Costa Rica - Inshore fly fishing help

scoutm

Reaction score
Will be going to Costa Rica with family and friends to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday and am hoping get a couple of days of fishing in. Has anyone done any inshore fly fishing in the Guanacaste/Gulf of Papaguyo region?

Google has not provided much in the way of inshore information - most of it is deep see bill fishing info. I'd really like to know about the inshore fishing opportunities - particularly rooster fish.

Anyone have experience in this region? Any outfitters to recommend?

Thanks.

scoutm

Reaction score
I have no idea where in Costa Rica these guys are located, but the fishing sure looks awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJstrUixGGs

Here is the outfitter: Solid Adventures | Jungle Tarpon, Costa Rica
I tried my best to get the wife to agree to the gulf side of the country but she found a VRBO on the Pacific side so no Jungle Tarpon. The main attraction on the pacific are bill fish. All the outfitters I've found will take you out fly fishing but non of them specialize in it. I would really like to target rooster fish but the outfitters primarily bait fish for them in deeper water.

chechem

Reaction score
Generally, Pacific side is bill fishing (as said), but plenty of fish there if you can find a guide.

Caribbean side: crocs, bull sharks, and sea turtles. Nice place to see, but not for wade fishing.

Enjoy!

scoutm

Reaction score

brokeoff

Reaction score
A few important things before you go:

First, there are definitely crocs on the pacific side. I used to surf on both sides of the river mouth in Tamarindo Guanacaste. I would just paddle across. Everyone always said the crocs never bother people. I just figured they were little caimen. One day I was walked the river bank and saw a 10 ft plus croc. Didn't ever make the paddle again. Since then several surfers have been attacked there. A few have died further south. I wouldn't let it stop you from exploring, just keep your eyes peeled.

Second, that video is from the Cano Negro which is in the next state over from Guanacaste. I think it would be a half day drive depending on where you are in Guanacaste.

Costa Rica is awesome. There is good snook fishing in all the river mouths on the Pacific.

Jealous.

scoutm

Reaction score
A few important things before you go:

First, there are definitely crocs on the pacific side. I used to surf on both sides of the river mouth in Tamarindo Guanacaste. I would just paddle across. Everyone always said the crocs never bother people. I just figured they were little caimen. One day I was walked the river bank and saw a 10 ft plus croc. Didn't ever make the paddle again. Since then several surfers have been attacked there. A few have died further south. I wouldn't let it stop you from exploring, just keep your eyes peeled.

Second, that video is from the Cano Negro which is in the next state over from Guanacaste. I think it would be a half day drive depending on where you are in Guanacaste.

Costa Rica is awesome. There is good snook fishing in all the river mouths on the Pacific.

Jealous.
thanks!! you know any good outfitters i should talk to.

brokeoff

Reaction score
Which town are you staying in? I have only chartered the cheapest guy in Tamarindo. We picked up a little rooster fish trolling.

During my research it looked like Rhino Charger was the best. Other people on the trip were on a budget and it wasn't sailfish season so we didn't splurge.

When are you going? I know Guanacaste does have a good rooster fish season.

scoutm

Reaction score
Which town are you staying in? I have only chartered the cheapest guy in Tamarindo. We picked up a little rooster fish trolling.

During my research it looked like Rhino Charger was the best. Other people on the trip were on a budget and it wasn't sailfish season so we didn't splurge.

When are you going? I know Guanacaste does have a good rooster fish season.
we will be in playa hermosa. we leave in 10 days.