Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drys

Default Drys

Anyone dry fly fish on lakes? I've never done it and I never really read anything or se videos online of it.

Thanks!

Default Re: Drys

Throwing dries to rising greenbacks on alpine lakes is what I dream about. I had the opportunity to spend some time in the backcountry last summer fishing some out of the way lakes and those days are high on the list of my best days ever.
    Assuming your fishing for trout, they are actively looking for terrestrials in high lakes in late summer/early fall and an elk hair caddis will pull trout from just about any stillwater in summer.

3. Likes spm, slowdown liked this post
    Blog Entries

At this point fishing dries is about the only way I fish stillwater anymore. There are a couple lakes I visit that usually require some kind of dropper at some point during the day, but my go-to flies are hoppers, PMXs, Turk's Tarantulas, cicadas, stims, and EHCs. One lake I like in UT gets these ludicrous giant BWO looking bugs hatches (these things are about 2.5 inches long with 2 inch wingspans), so I toss these #8 or #10 green drakes or my homemade giant para BWOs.

The trick for me is to locate some kind of underwater structure/cover that draws fish into relatively shallow water to feed. Steep banks with drowned trees along them is an ideal 'hole' to fish. If that bank stays shady in the morning or gets shady early in the afternoon, even better.
    Last edited by rangerrich99; 05-13-2017 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Wasn't absolutely precise . . . shocker
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

5. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Since you live in CA, I will suggest that this site be visited for some suggestions on dry fly patterns that work well on Eastern Sierra lakes as well as other Sierra Lakes. Roam around on the maps section. This is for the Twin Lakes Area:

Twin Lakes-Eastern Sierras

These guys hatch with great regularity during the Summer on Eastern Sierra lakes:

California School of Fly Fishing, Nevada City and Truckee, CA

I would suggest this book for further study into the various types of insects one might encounter on the surface of high elevation lakes:

https://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Mount.../dp/1585747742

..and FYI, Blue Winged Olives only hatch on moving water, not in stillwaters see HERE:

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Mayfl.../dp/1571883045

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by planettrout View Post

..and FYI, Blue Winged Olives only hatch on moving water, not in stillwaters see HERE:

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Mayfl.../dp/1571883045

PT/TB
    Shh . . . don't tell the fish, apparently they don't know that! Or the bugs for that matter.

All (okay, some) kidding aside, while I'm aware that the giant bugs I and my buddy and our guide saw that day weren't likely BWOs (just very large mayfly-looking things), in point of fact, I know of at least three lakes here in AZ that do in fact have regular BWO hatches. Apparently BWOs can't read (oh, and your link just goes to Amazon, no actual info about bugs there). These hatches occur right in the creek mouths feeding those lakes out to about 50 yards or so. But please don't take my word for it, just ask one of the local Forest Service biologists or any of the guides that have fished Chevy, Pacheta or Hurricane lakes.

Maybe that statement should have a qualifier in front of it, like "for the most part," or, "in general, " or even, "90% of the time," or whatever. You know, for accuracy's sake.

Peace.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

Quote Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
    Shh . . . don't tell the fish, apparently they don't know that! Or the bugs for that matter.

All (okay, some) kidding aside, while I'm aware that the giant bugs I and my buddy and our guide saw that day weren't likely BWOs (just very large mayfly-looking things), in point of fact, I know of at least three lakes here in AZ that do in fact have regular BWO hatches. Apparently BWOs can't read (oh, and your link just goes to Amazon, no actual info about bugs there). These hatches occur right in the creek mouths feeding those lakes out to about 50 yards or so. But please don't take my word for it, just ask one of the local Forest Service biologists or any of the guides that have fished Chevy, Pacheta or Hurricane lakes.

Maybe that statement should have a qualifier in front of it, like "for the most part," or, "in general, " or even, "90% of the time," or whatever. You know, for accuracy's sake.

Peace.
    Like I said, "BWO's only hatch on moving waters".

The link to Amazon connected to to this book by two somewhat qualified bug guys who don't put a qualifier in front of their statement below::

...and this is from the chapter on the Baetis Complex which includes BWO's ( Chapter 6, pg. 37):

Or how about this:

" The BWO’s are tiny mayflies that are rarely absent from the stream and can’t be found in lakes."

http://northparkanglers.com/blue-winged-olives/

Creeks are moving waters...for accuracy's sake. If there is some credible and linkable source to these BWO hatches on the AZ lakes of which you speak, please provide it - ain't my job to go hunt down your unpublished biologists or guides...

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 05-13-2017 at 09:33 PM.
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

9. Likes rangerrich99 liked this post

Calli

Callibaetis would be the most popular Dry on most of the lakes we have, and the lInk I sent you is specifically for california and nevada lakes. I do fish the nymphs a lot, but it is a pleasure when those heads start popping up taking the dries and emergers.

Also, ants. I fish a lot of them in close to the shore.

My favorite thing though - keeps me up - (just like ZJORY) - are the high alpine lakes. Up there, I fish big ugly Stimi's and ELk Hairs and all kinds of things, and those Cutthroat just cruise on over, tip up and eat as innocently as a newborn.

Just a good day.

11. Likes trout trekker, zjory liked this post

One of the best days i have had fishing still water was throwing size 18 renegades on an alpine lake.

Callibaetis, midges, various caddis, adult damsels, ants and beetles are all represented in my stillwater dry fly box.

For the Eastern Sierras my favorite dry fly for lakes is a poly-wing spinner, usually with an olive body. It just seems to attract trout, whether a hatch is afoot or not. Try it at Virginia Lakes, Trumbull, Walker Lake, and any of the hike-to lakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast