Beaver Ponds

goshawk87

Reaction score
Hey all,

I found some beaver ponds I want to try out this weekend. Any suggestions on technique? My first though was to try a dry dropper, but should I be looking more at nymphs or streamers? How do you guys fish beaver ponds? Thanks!

planettrout

Reaction score
Most of the Beaver ponds I encounter are at high elevations in the Eastern Sierras, like this one on Green Creek:

I have been using this pattern for years and have taken Brookies, Browns, Rainbows and Golden Trout on it:

Sierra Bright Dot

These are some DOTs, Lime & Lemon, variants that work well ( scroll down) that are tied by my friend Dean Endress:

FLYJUNKIE'S FLYTYING: October 2013

The water in these ponds is moving so slowly that it is just a blast to fish these very visible patterns and watch the Trout come out of nowhere to smash them...:thmbup:

I would also suggest tossing some of these and stripping back in slow jerks or using an over-hand twist retrieve:

PT/TB

Last edited:

goshawk87

Reaction score
Do you normally fish from shore, wade, or use a float tube?

Edit: thanks for the awesome information!

planettrout

Reaction score
Do you normally fish from shore, wade, or use a float tube?

Edit: thanks for the awesome information!
Most of the time, I am casting from shore. I try not to wade in beaver ponds because the silty bottom clouds up real fast when taking steps, generally putting the Trout down for an hour or so. If it's deep and wide enough to use a float craft, it is no longer a beaver pond - it's a lake....:p

PT/TB

S

smcnearn

I'm a big fan of streamers in beaver ponds where browns reside...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Good advice given. Here in Michigan with all of the foliage that means a lot of heavily stained water. Fortunately the Brookies that usually inhabit them are typically aggressive, even still though I try and use a light line and longer than usual leader/tippet. Whisper soft casts whether using wet or dry flies are the order of the day, and after a catch I like to shift the spot I'm focusing upon to another to give it a chance to settle back down.

Consider working the water inlet area as it runs cooler, and contrary to that the edge of the damn. Though everywhere else you might find luck as well, those spots typically yield higher catches for me. Finally, don't go using your favorite fly of Granddads, expect to lose some as there is often a lot of little twigs, branches and so on just under the water all over. As mentioned above they're typically full of silt. So unless you intend on ending your day there, any snagged flies just break off and tie on another.

B.E.F.

denver1911

Reaction score
There was a beaver pond on a small rivulet that fed a medium-sized stream in the smokey mountains in the late-90s. The stream it fed was a brookie heaven. The pond filled up with them and they got big. Bigger than most of the stream fish. They'd eat whatever you threw at them. Few knew of this location and I'm sure that helped. The pond washed out a few years later and the beavers haven't built one back big enough to hold fish. Oh well, it was great while it lasted.