Koi, anyone?

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Someone released a koi in the pond at the town park. There is no outflow that it could use to leave, so it isn't going anywhere. Folks that have seen it tell me it is about three feet long (though I keep in mind that if fishermen ran the delivery room, every newborn would be listed as 39 inches and 45 lbs). Anyway, the fish and game folks want it out of there, and there is a little prize for the person that nabs it.

So if I am kayaking around and I spot it, what should I throw at it?

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Carp patterns sound reasonable. He was probably raised on pellets but that probably wore off quickly. Good chance somebody will land him on live-bait before long. And they do get huge so 3ft isn't completely out of the question. I think most species grow to a little over two feet though.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
"Sounds like fish & game people are to full of themselves."

Yeah, I imagine it will die of old age at some point, unless someone puts a mate in there for it. Maybe there is concern about invasive species replacing the trout and bass that are in there.

ia_trouter

Reaction score

Yeah, I imagine it will die of old age at some point, unless someone puts a mate in there for it. Maybe there is concern about invasive species replacing the trout and bass that are in there.
Probably over-reacting but they are just making a point perhaps. Some knucklehead near me poured an aquarium of goldfish in his farm pond. A few years later you throw some feed in and the surface boils orange. It's quite impressive but the pond is screwed. Thousands of goldies in a 1/4 acre pond. :)

dillon

Reaction score

I have a ko pond in my yard. Some of them lived there for about 20 years until last winters freeze thinned the herd. Never have my koi reproduced. I suspect any eggs that were laid were eaten by the pack. I doubt that this lone koi will produce any off spring. I doubt it will eat any artificial or bait and I hope he survives for years to come and becomes legendary. No big deal, imo...

pnc

Reaction score
I'm rooting for the fish !
Town parks often have man made ponds. Therefore have no native species unless put there.
First time fishing was for goldfish at town park.

...... pc

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Town parks often have man made ponds.
This one is a reservoir, created in 1948 by building a dam across a stream, resulting in a body of water of about 60 acres. The inflow is from other small brooks in the north end, including one that seems to originate in a bigger pond a little ways north (that pond also has a dam, so I don't think fish come down from that one: the northern pond has big pike, the reservoir has none). The town does stock the reservoir with brook and rainbow trout, but I don't know how frequently. There are good size bass in there, up to at least 5 lb (you Floridians can stop chuckling). I don't know where the bass came from, supposedly they don't stock those (maybe a long time ago). Speaking of stocking, my understanding is that since it is a town resource, and you have to buy a town pass to park there (and only town residents can do so), the state doesn't stock it and the town has to do that.

I have caught LMB, SMB, crappies, brook trout, golden shiners, and millions of bluegills in there (it is a great place to take kids fishing since you can reliably catch as many bluegills as you want, practically on a bare hook). No koi yet though! (Since I do catch and release, I am really not planning to go after that guy.)

fr8dog

Reaction score
I was out yesterday playing with bluegills, but looking for carp. One big ol' goldfish has been hanging around the same place for months. (2500 acre lake) Maybe 20#. He was still cruising. Bigger than anything I've seen before and easy to spot. I've tried but not had it take on several trips. He looked a couple times but backed off. Saw a white one, a tad bit smaller but same result. Couldn't bring myself to kill the fish if I ever caught one.

pnc

Reaction score
60 acres is a pond & a half or more ! With all the fish you pointed out. One koi is not a problem.
With the mention of C&R. Big koi , like food brought to them. Tributaries that have a drop into main body. A few inches , enough to cause disturbance of water. Or a fall emptying into pond. Are likely spots to see koi.

...... pc

brownbass

Reaction score
Probably over-reacting but they are just making a point perhaps. Some knucklehead near me poured an aquarium of goldfish in his farm pond. A few years later you throw some feed in and the surface boils orange. It's quite impressive but the pond is screwed. Thousands of goldies in a 1/4 acre pond. :)
My neighbor did the same thing. After years of big fish kills he gave up stocking catfish and bluegill and tossed a bunch of goldfish in and now traps them to run trotlines on the Missouri river.

Bill