The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Stillwater Fly Fishing Discuss stillwater techniques, patterns used, ask questions, get answers on the best way to fish stillwaters

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 08-12-2017, 04:00 PM

fr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Koi, anyone?

I was out yesterday playing with bluegills, but looking for carp. One big ol' goldfish has been hanging around the same place for months. (2500 acre lake) Maybe 20#. He was still cruising. Bigger than anything I've seen before and easy to spot. I've tried but not had it take on several trips. He looked a couple times but backed off. Saw a white one, a tad bit smaller but same result. Couldn't bring myself to kill the fish if I ever caught one.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:35 PM

pnc is just really nicepnc is just really nicepnc is just really nicepnc is just really nicepnc is just really nice

60 acres is a pond & a half or more ! With all the fish you pointed out. One koi is not a problem.
With the mention of C&R. Big koi , like food brought to them. Tributaries that have a drop into main body. A few inches , enough to cause disturbance of water. Or a fall emptying into pond. Are likely spots to see koi.

...... pc
Old 08-16-2017, 08:23 AM

brownbass is just really nicebrownbass is just really nicebrownbass is just really nicebrownbass is just really nicebrownbass is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Probably over-reacting but they are just making a point perhaps. Some knucklehead near me poured an aquarium of goldfish in his farm pond. A few years later you throw some feed in and the surface boils orange. It's quite impressive but the pond is screwed. Thousands of goldies in a 1/4 acre pond.
My neighbor did the same thing. After years of big fish kills he gave up stocking catfish and bluegill and tossed a bunch of goldfish in and now traps them to run trotlines on the Missouri river.

Bill