Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Fellers, I needs me some hep

Local dialect aside, this is what Iím talking about. Here in Louisville, as the weather turns colder the local lakes are stocked with trout. Iíve gone to one lake about a week after stocking. I can see the trout surfacing and attacking something. I cannot catch one to save my soul. Iíve tried woolies, mudlers, zonkers, clousers, even a little red puffy thing on a strike indicator. Nothing. Iíve had some half-hearted strikes at the wooly and the puffy thing, but Iíve not been able to land anything. Any words of advice?

2. Thanks Ard thanked for this post

Default Re: Fellers, I needs me some hep

Could be taking midges, either in the film or on top ....depending on rise pattern.

4. Likes Ard, fredaevans liked this post

Try a midge larva, emerger, or smallish soft hackle, all just under the surface.

6. Likes Ard, markfrid, fredaevans liked this post

Try rs2's or zebra midges in size 20/22.They are working in Wolfe Creek and the Cumberland right now.That is where your stocked trout came from.Also try the black gnat patterns.
    -Steve

8. Likes Ard, mcnerney, markfrid liked this post

I think these guys are right on the mark. Often when trout are feeding on something just under the surface, the momentum of the take cause them to break the water's surface on the follow through.

Fly guys often interpret that as surface strikes, but a small fly fished just under the surface and very slowly will do the trick. I have also been fooled by similar splashes when fish are feeding on migrating damsel fly nymphs just under the surface, but that is unlikely this time of year.

A small (14 or 16) unweighted leech can also work in these situations. Or something like a Klinkhammer Special that sits on the surface, but has the abdomen submerged.

And if there are weed beds right under the feeding fish, they could also be taking scuds. But the best bet would be midges or soft hackled wets just under the surface.

Don

10. Likes Ard, just4grins, littledavid123, mcnerney liked this post

Thanks everybody. I see a quick trip to the Quest Fly Shop in my future.

12. Likes Ard, littledavid123 liked this post

There are no stupid questions, only dumb askers, but anyway...

Are there any role for poppers, boogle bugs and such in fishing for trout?
    Last edited by adblouky; 11-10-2017 at 12:53 PM.

14. Likes Ard liked this post

I have heard of trout hitting poppers but have never fished them for trout.If they will hit cicadas,hoppers,chernobyl ants and mice i would think they would love poppers.
    They would probably work great at night because of the noise to attract the fish.

The guys spin fishing in Wolfe Creek are using small rooster tails.The stocked trout love them.Last year i got a couple small baitfish flies from Jerry (Hairwing) and they are similar to the rooster tails without the spinner blade.The trout in my local lake love them.I don't have a photo of the flies but they look close to this one i found on google.
    -Steve

16. Thanks adblouky thanked for this post
    Likes Ard liked this post

So what happened?

sounds like you need to toss a set of nymphs under that indicator.
    use 6x tippet, a couple chromatids and maybe a flash back PY or something under them.
    Use small flies 16 PT and 20 for he top two.
    Be very delicate with your casts and try to not splash the area.
    A creek and a couple hours are all the medicine most of us really need!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast