Syndicate Fly Rods

rootbeerbugger

Reaction score
I recently went to a local fly shop to test the Scott Flex. While I was there they brought me a syndicate aquos 10 foot 6 weight to test. I felt pretty good casting demo rio floating line, but how well does it cast intermediate and heavier lines. Does anyone have a syndicate rod and what’s it been like.

silver creek

Reaction score
From what I have been told, Syndicate is a rebranding of Grey's fly rod that went belly up. Someone mentioned Syndicate as similar or the same as the Greys' XF2 fly rods and made in the same rod manufacturing factory. I don't know if it is true. Maybe someone can verify or deny the rumor.

rootbeerbugger

Reaction score
that’s why I’ve heard. There’s still not a lot of info on the bigger rods just the light weight nymph rods.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
From what I have been told, Syndicate is a rebranding of Grey's fly rod that went belly up. Someone mentioned Syndicate as similar or the same as the Greys' XF2 fly rods and made in the same rod manufacturing factory. I don't know if it is true. Maybe someone can verify or deny the rumor.
I don't know but I would be surprised. When Pure Fishing bought Hardy & Greys, they consolidated their North American mid-priced offerings under the Fenwick brand that they already owned and discontinued or rebranded the Greys products so the two brands wouldn't compete with each other. They maintained Greys as their midpriced brand in Europe, though, where it already held a dominant position. I've heard nothing to suggest that Greys "went belly up". You can still find plenty of Greys gear on European retailers' websites.

However, I suppose that wouldn't prevent Syndicate from buying the rights to discontinued Greys tapers and continuing to market them under a different name, or from hiring a factory that also supplies other rodmakers.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I believe the bit about Grey's is actually a rumour, but I can't confirm or deny either. I think Syndicate develops and designs their own rods then has them built at high quality factories and shops overseas, which very well could be the same great source of Pure Fishing's fly rods, as well as Douglas, etc.. They are excellent quality, no doubt, but I don't think they're actually affiliated with Grey's/Hardy/Fenwick, etc. They are located in Knoxville, Tennessee as far as headquarters and product development goes.

I've used the excellent Pipeline competition series before, but never had the chance to use an Aquos. I doubt they would have any issue throwing sinking lines of appropriate grain weights. They are built to have a lot of power in the butt end of the rod, and a softer tip to protect tippets. Maybe you could take one of the lines you have in mind and cast it at the shop you mentioned?

rootbeerbugger

Reaction score
Yes that’s the plan when I get some time free. I tried to do some research on them but it doesn’t give a lot of background on them.

blogflyfish

Reaction score
Don't know the Aquos.

But, for Competition Euro products, they design their own fly rods. Source: I interviewed one of the founders (link here).

I've tested their #2 and #3 Euronymphing rods. I decided to buy the #2 for smaller rivers. I love its sensitivity. Their #3 felt too noodly.

I then tested the Thomas and Thomas Contact #3 and loved that rod. In fact, it's my favorite fly fishing rod: lightweight, very accurate and can also throw dries. So, I then retired my Sage ESN #3, in fact.

el jefe

Reaction score
Don't know the Aquos.

But, for Competition Euro products, they design their own fly rods. Source: I interviewed one of the founders (link here).

I've tested their #2 and #3 Euronymphing rods. I decided to buy the #2 for smaller rivers. I love its sensitivity. Their #3 felt too noodly.

I then tested the Thomas and Thomas Contact #3 and loved that rod. In fact, it's my favorite fly fishing rod: lightweight, very accurate and can also throw dries. So, I then retired my Sage ESN #3, in fact.
How does the tip of the T&T Contact compare with the tip of the Sage ESN? Does the tip on the T&T lean more toward the flexy side, or the traditional fly rod side of things?

blogflyfish

Reaction score
Very sensitive; it definitely is a Euro rod. But, the rod has much, much less reverb than the ESN, and so, it's much more accurate.