Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  24
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Stillwater Trout

Ditto Rip Tide's reply guys....contour maps not only give you a hint as to where the deeper area(s) may be it should display what and where any brooks/creeks enter(or connect any two ponds) to give trout some cooler water and often a potential zone for insects to breed/hatch...often at more than a few times/year depending on what types of insect and/or baitfish inhabit the pond(s). Take time to scout out those brooks/creeks to check out which one(s) may be more apt to harbor insect life. Also use the contour map(s) to follow any entering brooks out into the pond as often springholes will be a continuence of any brook. Check the pond(s) for any structures in the ponds...rock piles, logs that've/were dumped in etc...where food & trout can hide.. Seldom are springholes and baitfish or insects found out in the deepest areas or middle of the pond(s). Trout are avid predators of baitfish along dropoffs, especially in the coolest hours of the day...which is usually in the early AM hours as well. Get down to their levels of feeding, wherever, with slow/medium sinking or intermediate lines..weighted/unweighted bucktail/streamer/nymph...or even a floating line with weighted bucktails/streamers/nymphs, let sink then retrieve erratically. ...AND, if there is any brush on any shore....insects can get blown into the pond on windy days and there will be formed a line where they'll drift . Trout find these lines and just like in a stream, will set up their own lies and wait to the food to come to them. Hope you get a trout population down there...
    Steve

2. Thanks MickT thanked for this post

Forget about wasting time or money tying or buying fancy flashy flies. Tie a bare #14 or #16 scud hook to your tippet. Stop by WalMart and pick up the cheapest can of whole kernel corn they have. Put half of this in a cup then put one kernel on your hook. Throw the corn that's in the cup up and out about 30 to 40 feet. When it hits the water the stockers will recognize that sound and come running. Cast your "fly" out in the mix and get ready.
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

Bonneville Dam on the Columbia has a hatchery that has a pond with massive trout you can feed. Cost of feed is .25 for a small handful. I just wish I would remember to buy a bucks worth.

Quote Originally Posted by awreis View Post

I live in Kentucky and the Department of Fish and Wildlife recently stocked a local lake with rainbow trout. I was wondering what is a good way to fish for these trout. Should I use streamers? Nymphs under an indicator?
    Trout in a pond… 100% of ponds support chironomidschironomids hatch every day from ice out to ice up… trout (especially rainbows) feed on them constantly. Point of vulnerability is the pupal stage when ascending (s – l – o – w – l – y) to the surface.

Google “fly fishing with chironomids”… look for names like Brian Chan and/or Phil Rowley… you’ll be an expert in no time. It will work.

Without knowing your pond situation, fishing chironomid pupae beneath an indicator (4-8 ft this time of year) is a good start. Warming waters will bring other options into play; damselfly nymphs, Callibaetis mayflies, water boatman, etc. Also leeches and scuds available to the trout year round.

Early spring though… prime time to capitalize on chironomid activity.
    "Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

6. Likes mcnerney, dharkin liked this post

Stenacron,

That's exactly what I do in early spring on the local ponds. Here is a link to a very good explanation;
    Chironomid Tactics 101 by Brian Chan — Sport Fishing on the Fly

Quote Originally Posted by dharkin View Post
    Stenacron,

That's exactly what I do in early spring on the local ponds. Here is a link to a very good explanation;
    Chironomid Tactics 101 by Brian Chan — Sport Fishing on the Fly

They are still very much over-looked... at least in my neck of the woods. Not the sexiest way to fish, but the perfect approach to exactly what the fish are feeding on. One trip a few years back and I was a believer... been building on that ever since.

Regarding other posts about hatchery fish being pushovers... yes, at first, but they learn quickly what food items are available and develop a natural preference for insects vs marshmallows.
    "Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

Wind can make fishing from a float tube a little tricky so I often wait to see a rise/roll. I then cast to that spot about 10 seconds later and let it sit for about 30 to 40 seconds while watching the tip of my floating line. If the wind moves me at all, I just continue to wait and let the wind move me. I'll just drift for about 2 minutes and then start over again. All the floating shucks are the first clue as to what's going on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12