How many rods

Bchromehead

Reaction score
Hey my name is kevin i usually fish rivers for steelhead but going to try the lake stuff.

In bc how many rods do you guys run at the same time? What lines?

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I really wish I had a ticket to Smithers! Last time I was on the Babine, I was gleefully landing a big Sock on my 9 wt RPL. I was fishing bubbleheads for the mean surface rip and a 15lb Sock exploded on it...Looks like a Sockeye...No they don't hit those...Anyways I was landing the fish and had the rod between my legs and the fish dropped and swam straight through my legs and downstream at warp drive and my sage didn't have a chance. It started as a 2 piece rod and ended as a 5 piece rod. I was done because I had one rod with me and getting around that river is a bit of a hassle. Won't make that mistake again.

So I played tag with the bears.

You live in some rich country.

flav

Reaction score
I'm going to assume you're asking how many rods you carry, fishing more than one rod at a time is a recipe for disaster. I sometimes bring two rods, one with a floating line and the other with an intermediate. Most of the time these days I carry only one rod with two spools, one a floater that I use most of the time and the other an intermediate.

wthorpe

Reaction score
I occasionally carry two rods to fish a stream, one for streamers and nymphs and one for dries, although normally i carry the rod i think i need most and just suck it up and use it if my guess is wrong. I generally accept the notion that the more stuff i carry with me the greater the likelihood i will lose or break something.

But here is a little bit differing twist on carrying multi rods. i fish on lakes a lot, maybe half of my fishing, and most of it from a boat. Much of the fishing i like to do on western lakes is driven by calibaetis hatches and spinner falls which are notorious for their short schedules. They often start at maybe 10 or later and sometimes last as little as 30 mins to an hour. So when i have all the lights on i take multiple rods rigged for various aspects of the hatch, nymphs, emergers, duns, spinners, and often more than one rigged with a dry and dropper so when i break off or tangle, i can put the rod away and get out another and keep fishing. You cannot carry this too far or you will look like a bass pro fisherman with a whole boat full of rods. But a couple extras does help. i also carry some pre-rigged setups of dry and dropper to replace a tangle or breakoff; i wrap those little rigs around a foam pad kept in a plastic box i bought somewhere, brand name not remembered.

fishgolf

Reaction score
I've almost always had two rods on my pontoon boat for stillwater fishing. One ready with a dry (usually Callebetis), and one with nymph or streamer. Setting up rods while in a belly and pontoon boats in a pain in the butt.

wthorpe

Reaction score
Setting up rods in any boat is a bit of a chore. And i bet if you do it enough you will drop a piece of a rod in the water. And i doubt that Sage, Orvis et al will apply a warranty on that one.

Which reminds me for some reason -- and totally off point: a friend recently "caught" a Scott Radian, Lamson reel, and new fly line on the S. Fork of the Snake. Unfortunately (for him) he and scott were able to track down the owner thru the serial no.