Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mosquitos

Default mosquitos

Spent last week fly fishing a well known north central lake in Colorado. Have always gone for a week in late Sept or early Oct. The weather was pretty good, windy alot, but was used to that. Caught some fish. Rainbow and Cutts, some pretty nice, some not so big. BIG thing were the mosquitos. Every afternoon 3:30 or so, till dark. Huge swarms around camper and pickup, and us...... Made an otherwise decent trip, almost unbearable. They liked to bite. Question. Is this normal in early June, and if so how do you deal with them? Uncle and I have pretty much given up on going back except in the fall. It wouldn"t have been a huge deal, but we drive 500 miles to fish there. Thanks David

Blog Entries

Default Re: mosquitos

I carry 100 DEET with me as part of my gear. A little on your skin goes a long way to repel mosquitoes. The salt marsh here at times gets thick with very aggressive mosquitoes and the DEET spray handles them well. Get at least 25% DEET if you can’t find stronger. I spray it on my hands and then dab it on other parts of me and my clothing. Permethrin sprays like what’s in yard guard and cutter are pretty effective in creating a mosquito free perimeter. Yard guard comes in a can and cutter comes in a bottle that attaches to a hose so that might not work if you don’t have a hose. You could bring along a pump up sprayer and apply it that way. I’m not sure the rules are on that in every place so you may need to check on it first.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

Yes, it's normal, especially the more humid it is. The wind will keep them down, and that's about the only good thing I can say about the wind.
    But here is one thing you will read over and over and over again when it comes to Colorado fishing on this forum, especially in the summer in the high country.....bring bug spray!!!!! It's rule #1. If you do that, your 500 mile trip will be worth every mile and penny.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

Short summers in the Rockies so insect swarms are intense and condensed. Depending on conditions (snowpack, elevation, air temps, etc.) you can avoid them with proper timing.

I hike/fish the high Uintas here in Utah (~10,000 feet) and if I can get up there before... say NOW, there are no bugs. Mid June thru most of July it's like a horror movie. I swear they try to drill through the windshield as I am pulling into the trailhead. Aug into fall is quite manageable.

Wide-brimmed hat + head net, long-sleeved (loose fitting) shirt, and my trusty "Off fan" and I don't even notice them.

Skeeters are bad, but the Noseeum's are 100X worse IMO. The above works on them too.
    "Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

5. Likes mcnerney, ia_trouter liked this post

In a word, Thermacell.

Thermacell Repellents | Mosquito Repellent and Tick Control

Works great as long as the winds aren't up. Not sure if they would control a swarm but I use one on 3D archery courses and never get a single bite.

7. Likes dennyk liked this post

I also use thermacell. Absolutely worth it. I don't even apply bug spray.

Mosquitos are easy, Black flies on the other hand will leave you bleeding. When I lived in Quebec and we were fishing from a boat, you would see a swarm of black flies coming for you, we would have to gun the boat to a different location. If we were lucky, we had 1/2 an hour before the swarm caught up to us again.

I have not had the same success with Thermacell that others claim. Bug spray with Deet for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes proheli liked this post

Walmart ... $8.00. But it lasts for a long time.
    Just be careful and don't touch ANYTHING plastic until it's fully dried. It'll ruin glasses, rods, lines, etc.

Thanks for all the replys. Have been going in the fall for many years. No problems. Guess if we venture back next spring/ early summer will have to be more prepared. Honestly didn't have a clue how bad they can be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast