Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default UL float tubes: Wilderness Lite Backpacker Pro vs. Outcast Trinity

I have fished an Outcast FatCat for a lot of years now and have been very satisfied and impressed with the quality and durability of that float tube. I'm in the market for a more backpackable tube to add to my gear shed.

Naturally, my first thought was Outcast's Trinity model. But further web searching brought me to the Wilderness Lite Backpacker Pro, which is much lighter and also slightly less expensive.

Does anyone have experience with both of these tubes? Any owners of either tube have any complaints or regrets in their choice?

Thanks for any information,
    Bob
    At the southern tip of Lake Champlain

Default Re: UL float tubes: Wilderness Lite Backpacker Pro vs. Outcast Trinity

Just wanted to take another shot at getting some user experience on these two tubes...

I would also add that I am 6'2" and 240 lb. My Outcast Fatcat is a comfortable fit with lots of freeboard and stability.

Tight lines,
    Bob

I've looked at both tubes as I was looking into a lighter tube option as well. I currently have an Outcast Prowler. Its an awesome tube but HEAVY! I will be buying a trinity mostly because Outcasts reliability in construction of their products that has proven itself over the years as well as the inflatable seat portion on that tube looks to be like most of their others which are fairly comfortable to fish out of.

Blog Entries

I fished from a Trinity right after they first came out. Nice tube, though not as robust as my Fishcat. Also not a lot of storage space. But for packing up a mountain trail above 9,000 ft. it's a feather compared to my Fishcat. Also, as it's so light I could use a smaller and lighter fin than my Omegas.

One thing I really like about my Outcast products is their customer service. Over the years I've had zipper issues, seat bladder issues, main bladder issues and so on. Zippers (11 years old) were replaced for free. One seat bladder (5 years old) was replaced free. Both main bladders (6 years old) replaced free with the new over-inflation resistant bladders. I paid for shipping in all cases, and always suggested that I would pay for any repairs or replacements. In all cases they simply fixed/replaced what needed fixing (in a couple cases repaired/replaced things they just found) and I received a receipt that said simply, "No charge." For me, that's worth the extra few bucks over a cheaper brand. YMMV.

Peace.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

5. Likes Lewis Chessman liked this post

I love my Outcast FatCat dearly and can't imagine a better tube. I've had it for many years with zero problems. Naturally, I looked at the Trinity when I needed a backpacking tube. Although I would have really liked to have the raised semi-dry seating the Trinity offers, I chose the Wilderness Lite at about half the weight.

I tried it out last weekend and was not disappointed. When it comes to backpacking, three or four pounds is a lot of weight to be able to save and I'm pleased with the new tube.

That said, the Outcast will always be my favorite and will probably serve me for 95% of my float tubing (unless the remote pond fishing really catches my interest).

Tight lines,
    Bob

I have a different idea. Why not a packraft? My entire backpack with packraft, paddle, life jacket fly gear and everything I need for the day is 23 or 24 pounds. I don't need waders, boots or fins. Plus, I can float rivers in my packraft.
    Just a thought. When I looked at ultralight tubes I immediately added waders, fins and booties and decided that for what I was going to spend for an untralight tube, I could spend twice as much and get way more functionality and versatility.
    flyfishingnwmontana.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by mtboiler View Post
    I have a different idea. Why not a packraft?
    For me, the reason is that I hate trying to fly fish out of a raft, canoe or kayak vs. a float tube, especially if there is any wind. I tried fly fishing from a small two-man raft before and thought it was torture (I'm 6'2" 240lbs. if that makes any difference).

I just prefer the always-have-two-hands-to-fish convenience of a float tube.

Tight lines,
    Bob

Bob, you can use an anchor or drift sock. I use both. An Ikea shopping back, sewn at the folds works great for a drift sock. I also carry an anchor bag. Just add a rock and you are golden.
    Just my opinion,
    flyfishingnwmontana.blogspot.com