UL float tubes: Wilderness Lite Backpacker Pro vs. Outcast Trinity

desmobob

Reaction score
I have fished an Outcast FatCat for a lot of years now and have been very satisfied and impressed with the quality and durability of that float tube. I'm in the market for a more backpackable tube to add to my gear shed.

Naturally, my first thought was Outcast's Trinity model. But further web searching brought me to the Wilderness Lite Backpacker Pro, which is much lighter and also slightly less expensive.

Does anyone have experience with both of these tubes? Any owners of either tube have any complaints or regrets in their choice?

Thanks for any information,
Bob

desmobob

Reaction score
Just wanted to take another shot at getting some user experience on these two tubes...

I would also add that I am 6'2" and 240 lb. My Outcast Fatcat is a comfortable fit with lots of freeboard and stability.

Tight lines,
Bob

joshw

Reaction score
I've looked at both tubes as I was looking into a lighter tube option as well. I currently have an Outcast Prowler. Its an awesome tube but HEAVY! I will be buying a trinity mostly because Outcasts reliability in construction of their products that has proven itself over the years as well as the inflatable seat portion on that tube looks to be like most of their others which are fairly comfortable to fish out of.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
I fished from a Trinity right after they first came out. Nice tube, though not as robust as my Fishcat. Also not a lot of storage space. But for packing up a mountain trail above 9,000 ft. it's a feather compared to my Fishcat. Also, as it's so light I could use a smaller and lighter fin than my Omegas.

One thing I really like about my Outcast products is their customer service. Over the years I've had zipper issues, seat bladder issues, main bladder issues and so on. Zippers (11 years old) were replaced for free. One seat bladder (5 years old) was replaced free. Both main bladders (6 years old) replaced free with the new over-inflation resistant bladders. I paid for shipping in all cases, and always suggested that I would pay for any repairs or replacements. In all cases they simply fixed/replaced what needed fixing (in a couple cases repaired/replaced things they just found) and I received a receipt that said simply, "No charge." For me, that's worth the extra few bucks over a cheaper brand. YMMV.

Peace.

desmobob

Reaction score
I love my Outcast FatCat dearly and can't imagine a better tube. I've had it for many years with zero problems. Naturally, I looked at the Trinity when I needed a backpacking tube. Although I would have really liked to have the raised semi-dry seating the Trinity offers, I chose the Wilderness Lite at about half the weight.

I tried it out last weekend and was not disappointed. When it comes to backpacking, three or four pounds is a lot of weight to be able to save and I'm pleased with the new tube.

That said, the Outcast will always be my favorite and will probably serve me for 95% of my float tubing (unless the remote pond fishing really catches my interest).

Tight lines,
Bob

mtboiler

Reaction score
I have a different idea. Why not a packraft? My entire backpack with packraft, paddle, life jacket fly gear and everything I need for the day is 23 or 24 pounds. I don't need waders, boots or fins. Plus, I can float rivers in my packraft.
Just a thought. When I looked at ultralight tubes I immediately added waders, fins and booties and decided that for what I was going to spend for an untralight tube, I could spend twice as much and get way more functionality and versatility.

desmobob

Reaction score
I have a different idea. Why not a packraft?
For me, the reason is that I hate trying to fly fish out of a raft, canoe or kayak vs. a float tube, especially if there is any wind. I tried fly fishing from a small two-man raft before and thought it was torture (I'm 6'2" 240lbs. if that makes any difference).

I just prefer the always-have-two-hands-to-fish convenience of a float tube.

Tight lines,
Bob

mtboiler

Reaction score
Bob, you can use an anchor or drift sock. I use both. An Ikea shopping back, sewn at the folds works great for a drift sock. I also carry an anchor bag. Just add a rock and you are golden.
Just my opinion,

dbgoff

Reaction score
Bob, you can use an anchor or drift sock. I use both. An Ikea shopping back, sewn at the folds works great for a drift sock. I also carry an anchor bag. Just add a rock and you are golden.
Just my opinion,
Tell me more about this drift sock. Do you have a photo? How do you attach it to your boat. I have three boats, a Trinity, a Fishcat Deluxe and an OSG Stealth--I think all three are prone to getting blown about a bit. I catch a lot of fish on the drift but I think I could catch more if I wasn't moving so fast.

mtboiler

Reaction score
You can google drift socks to see the real ones. I just had my wife sister send me one. Hook your anchor rope up to the handle and throw it in the water about 6 ft of rope. It will fill up water and cause the boat to be slowed down when pushed with the wind. I found the idea of google. but it works great. I did fold the bag inside out and had my wife sow up the side seams to cut the bag size down.
Andy

myt1

Reaction score
I am likewise intrigued by packcrafts, particularly after seeing a video of people floating the south fork of the Flathead River in them.

My buddy who has considerable whitewater rafting experience, and who recently floated the SF of the Flathead in a 9 foot pontoon boat that was carried to the river on the back of a horse, thinks I'm nuts.

Although he did say he saw plenty of people using them, they looked very unstable and unmaneuverable to him.

He also said you can take three days to backpack into the river with the packcraft, or you can have a pontoon boat carried to the river in a day on horseback. He makes a good point.

greenbuttbomber

Reaction score
Bob,
I know this is an old post but thought I'd mention the float tube/Pontoon that I am using and have replaced my Outcast Super Fat Cat. It comes from a small outfit in California and is called the SuperCat. They have made them for a lot of years and are terrific. Very robust but light. The two tubes are incredibly tough and are really like raft tubes. Great chair and I think the whole thing is about 15lbs. I don't use oars on it and with the long fins can get around really well. Worth looking in to. I fish with it about 60 to 90 days a year and nothing has failed since purchased 4 years ago. Here is the link http://www.supercat.us/

robtmitchell

Reaction score
Thanks for keeping the topic alive. I have been looking for a tube to pack into lakes with all my gear, some change of clothes etc..

Have you packed in with just the tube or the tube strapped to a pack with your fins, waders, and pump in your back pack.
If so, how far? I have some dreams of a few hike in fishing lakes this summer around 4-7 miles each way for a long all day trip.

I think the outcast trinity is discontinued so I have been looking at Wilderness Lite or just a smaller outcast tube than my super fast cat model.

Rob

Bakerite

Reaction score
I have a Fat Cat and a Wilderness lite. Only use the WL for situations where I'm going overnight. It's like using an old style tube where you are much lower in the water. Well made product.

LandoLando

Reaction score
get the wilderness lite! You won’t regret it. Bringing the outcast at 7lb would be a nonstarter for me. Remember you will need to pack in waders, wading shoes, fins, rod reel, flies, etc. if your tube weighs 7lb, you’re going to be up over 40lb pack weight for even a 3 day trip. Wilderness lite is the only outfit making float tubes anywhere near what I would consider a packable weight.

See this thread for what you can do with it:

I have the wilderness lite Treeline model. It’s the lighter weight model (just fewer pockets in the shell, same bladder.

its as light as they say it is and it sets up pretty easy. On my maiden voyage I was not impressed because it was under inflated. After I reached out to the company they told me that you have to top it off after the colder water makes the air inside denser.

I tried it since with it more inflated and was astounded how much it felt like a full size float tube. The only real difference being that you sit a bit lower in the water with most of your legs submerged, so you can get colder easier. Because you sit lower in the water you don’t get blown around by wind as much. The ultra lightweight fins are great too, but the straps do not fit over regular wading boots. They are designed to fit over a water shoes, because no one should be bringing a 4lb pair of wading boots backpacking.

Last edited:

mtboiler

Reaction score
Why not a pack raft. I am at 23 pounds with my pack raft, paddle and all of my fishing gear. No need for waders or wading boots, I use cheap neoprene booties. Cutting fins, waders and boots probably lowers 3 or 4 pounds.
They are not as expensive as they use to be unless you go to a river model.

LandoLando

Reaction score
Why not a pack raft. I am at 23 pounds with my pack raft, paddle and all of my fishing gear. No need for waders or wading boots, I use cheap neoprene booties. Cutting fins, waders and boots probably lowers 3 or 4 pounds.
They are not as expensive as they use to be unless you go to a river model.
Two reasons:

1: a pack raft weighs twice as much as the wilderness lite tubes, and the paddle weighs almost as much as the other gear required.

2: being able to keep your line tight with the wind to your back is probably the biggest game changer, especially if you’re fishing midge tip, sinking line or pretty much anything other than dry fly or indicator.

mtboiler

Reaction score
Two reasons:

1: a pack raft weighs twice as much as the wilderness lite tubes, and the paddle weighs almost as much as the other gear required.

2: being able to keep your line tight with the wind to your back is probably the biggest game changer, especially if you’re fishing midge tip, sinking line or pretty much anything other than dry fly or indicator.
My packraft is 4 pounds. That float tube is 3 pounds!!! Paddle is 1 3/4. Your waders weight that or more. I am under 6 pounds with everything I need except fishing gear including my anchor bag!! Fins are 1 pound minimum. We are pretty much the same weight, except I don't need additional layers to stay warm, or special booties/boots, double action pump or lightweigt pump, raised seat, etc.
And every high mountain lake I have ever been to that is more than 2 miles from a road is like taking candy from a baby. No special flies, or gear. I carry 20 or 30 flies and catch fish every time.
Oh, and did I mention, most of the high mountain lakes a decent size. I can move to any place I want on any lake in just a few minutes.
And I have yet to get cold because I am sitting in the water!! If I want the wind at my back, which I often set up to do, I drop the anchor bag and let it swing me around a point.

Last edited:

LandoLando

Reaction score
My packraft is 4 pounds. That float tube is 3 pounds!!! Paddle is 1 3/4. Your waders weight that or more. I am under 6 pounds with everything I need except fishing gear including my anchor bag!! Fins are 1 pound minimum. We are pretty much the same weight, except I don't need additional layers to stay warm, or special booties/boots, double action pump or lightweigt pump, raised seat, etc.
And every high mountain lake I have ever been to that is more than 2 miles from a road is like taking candy from a baby. No special flies, or gear. I carry 20 or 30 flies and catch fish every time.
Oh, and did I mention, most of the high mountain lakes a decent size. I can move to any place I want on any lake in just a few minutes.
And I have yet to get cold because I am sitting in the water!! If I want the wind at my back, which I often set up to do, I drop the anchor bag and let it swing me around a point.
waders 23 oz. fins are 15oz. Pump is included in the weight of the float tube. Waders come in handy outside of the float tube also.
I already have to bring layers because I hike into 10,000-11,000 altitude lakes. Even on the hottest days it gets down to 40F at night.

With your back to the wind and drift sock in the water you will still get pushed towards your flies causing slack and you’re missing strikes. Being able to push back against the wind and keep your line tight makes a huge difference.

Interesting to see from some google searching that they have less than 2lb packrafts now, last I checked 6lb was the best you could do. There’s a good chance I’ll gamble on the $200 Klymat pack raft and give it a whirl.

Ive really counted the ounces and can get into deep back country for 5-7 days with a 37lb pack including the some quite unnecessary items like a full camp kitchen, books, liquor, a coffee maker and a hammock. Around 30lb if I don’t bring a spare rod and leave the liquor, coffee and pots and pans at home.