Early fall on a high plains lake 9-28-18

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Back in Wyoming, I again answered the call of the Stillwater. After a week’s worth of work, it was time to deploy the tube and wave the graphite for an evening.

I was the only person there this evening. A cold wind blew from the east. Over the course of the evening, it switched to coming from the northeast to the southeast.

Figuring the chop would rile up the fishes, I went to work with a bugger again. Because...why not?!

The fish were a bit deeper than I’d have guessed, but they were obliging, if a bit reluctant.

A couple of white pelicans patrolled and a gull let out his high-pitched squeals of excitement when I landed the first fish. I appreciated the cheer.
Gradually, the sun began to dip beneath the clouds and headed for the horizon.

I wasn’t hauling them in hand over fist like a couple of weeks ago, so I decided to head in before it got too dark. One more fish had other plans.

My muskrat buddy began puttering around shoreline as he had last time I visited this lake. He had serious plans and wasted not time in moving from place to place like a little cruise ship. By this time, it was only 40 degrees outside and I was glad I had multiple layers on. A good evening on the water in one of my favorite places on earth. Hope you get a chance to spend some quality time with the local denizens of your favorite fishing hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
That was good!

You don't need a ton of fish pictures to catch my eye just some great water and landscapes, throw in a sunset then follow up with the muskrat and I'm good. Last Tuesday there was a mink prowling the shoreline where I was fishing. Seeing those critters out doing their thing makes my day and it sounds like they top yours off too.

Nice

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
I was happy to see it as well. I have great memories of the lake and I’m now able to make great plans for the future! I’ll be back in a couple of months to check the early summer situation. Damsels and scuds and Callibaetis...oh my!

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I was happy to see it as well. I have great memories of the lake and I’m now able to make great plans for the future! I’ll be back in a couple of months to check the early summer situation. Damsels and scuds and Callibaetis...oh my!

Joey,

You might be interested that there was a front page story in the Boomerang last Sunday. Game and Fish are concerned that the private property owners of the access road to the lake are disturbed by some trashing of that area.

According to Game & Fish the problem has been over the winter and involves tearing up the land with ATVs and illegal shooting and then leaving the smashed up remains (including old TVs) and smashed glass behind.

The land owners are not threatening yet to close the access off, but similar problems are what caused the area to be closed to overnight camping. If there are any developments I will let you know.

Don

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Very sad to hear that. People suck. Thanks for the updates and yes, do keep me posted as you learn anything further! Much appreciated!!

Anton