9'6" 5 and 6 wts For Lakes

dbgoff

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase one or two longer rods to use primarily in stillwaters. For years I've used 9' rods (Scott S3 and Scott Radian) and both seem to get the job done but the past several years 70-80% of my fishing (and fish caught) have been in stillwaters, so I'm thinking about picking up longer rods to add to my 9 footers. I like to use 5 wts in high-country lakes and 6 wts on big reservoirs. Most of my fishing is stripping leaches and streamers, with damsels, scuds and soft hackles thrown in when the big stuff doest work, and the rare day when I can throw a dry, but I'm experimenting with indicators, balance leaches and chironomids. All of my stillwater fishing is out of a float tube or a pontoon and I only target trout (although I welcome the occasional smallmouth bass).

My luck with 10 footers has not been great. I find them physically demanding to fish and hard on my forearm, wrist and hands. I built a 10' 5 wt. on a Dan Craft "Black Canyon" blank and its a gorgeous rod, but a beast to fish. I also have a 10 foot Sage XP 8 wt. which I use for steelhead and salmon. I've never loved that rod but must admit it gets the job done. I also built a Sage ESN 4wt which I have learned to use effectively, but the action is unsuitable for the stillwater fishing I do. So, maybe between the 9' and the 10' is a compromise I can live with and get the advantages of a longer rig. I'm looking seriously at the Sage Pulse and have also thought about the Orvis Recon, and maybe a Beulah, but obviously there are others. While I have many premium rods, I'm hoping for something in the middle price point, especially since my lake fishing is not a finesse job and I'm considering getting two of them. Thoughts?

tpo

Reaction score
I'll give you my experience. I'm not into high end rods, so I can't advise on brands/ models, but I do a lot of Stillwater fishing and have a bunch of 9-10' rods in 5-6 weight. I like the longer rods for lakes. They hold more like off the water when fishing from a tube, are helpful in recovering slack line quickly when a fish runs towards you, and they are better fish fighting sticks. I also find longer rods provide a softer tip that improves feel and helps with a hard strike. I don't find them more tiring to fish, but it depends a bit on the rod (my 9.5' 6wt Redington Vice does seem like a heavier stick, my 10' Fenwick Aetos and 9'9" Cabelas LSi I find not much difference vs. my 9' 5 wt rods). Personally, I'd get a 10' rod as I think the 9.5' one wouldn't give you enough difference vs. 9' to justify the expense. One other thing: I've found the longer rods are also great nymphing rods and find I am using them more and more on larger streams and rivers so they getting more use than I originally expected. Good luck with your decision.

Tom

reels

Reaction score
I do a lot of stillwater fishing, but all from shore so my observations may not be directly applicable to float tube fishing.

Based on my experience I actually find a 10' rod to be less work than something shorter, especially when trying to cut through the wind.
Using a shorter rod I often find the need to really dig into the rod backbone which equates to more power on casting strokes (double hauling, etc.) and thus more fatigue.

One of my favorite mid-end rods is probably the Douglas DXF (I have the DXF 5104).
I find it has enough power for throwing heavier offerings and yet supple enough for dries and lighter rigs that require a delicate delivery.
I probably wouldn't consider this a full on streamer rod, but it's a nice sweet spot for me.
If they make a configuration that suites you, it might be worth casting one if you have a nearby dealer.

flyinflight

Reaction score
I've read and heard tubers say they favor a 9.5'- 10' rod over a 9' for stillwater. I'm of the mindset that it's up to the angler. If you're comfortable with your 9', then that's your huckleberry. I wouldn't purchase a new or used rod because it's in vogue. I've fished the 9.5' only to discover I favored the 9' because I could bring the fish in closer to the boat without the frustration of the extra 6'' a fish could use to avoid the net. I still fish both, but I prefer the 9'.

loomisglx

Reaction score
I like my 10 footers for my floating line/bobber fishing chironomids and use 9’ for sinking line purposes. I find the 10’ are easier casting with long leaders

guido

Reaction score
Spend some more time in the yard practicing with the 10' rods to build up the endurance to fish them comfortably. Cast from a seated or kneeling position to simulate being in the tube. Start with short sessions and build up to longer ones. It will be time well spent...

biker1usa

Reaction score
10 footers are real good for wading lakes to get over some of the vegetation behind you. A faster rod will work good when it is windy.

bbbruce77

Reaction score
Before going to longer rods, I found AirFLO 40+ lines made such a big difference that I use them on a 6 wght and or my 9 wght for fishing still water situations. Both rods are 9 footers. You might want to focus on lines that are designed for still waters and save a lot of money in the process.

FlyFlinger2421

Reaction score
I fish stillwaters exclusively and have both 9' and 9'6" 6 wts, Sage VXP. Interesting that you are considering a Pulse as A guy at Sage recommended that as a more modern substitute for the VXP. A longer rod is good for casting longer distances which I rarely need to, but makes it more difficult to land fish out of a tube. Another thing to consider if you are planning on buying a used rod is that the 4 and 6wts are way cheaper than the 5 wts. I think we have been sold on the idea that a 5wt is better but it depends 'more on the size of fish you are catching as well as the wind conditions where you fish. On some of the lakes I fish I use a 9' 4wt VXP and it works quite well.
One other thing I have learned the hard way is that a floating line or sink tip is preferable to a full sinking line. A full sinking line is more apt to wrap around a fin which can be a huge problem!

CYGUY

Reaction score
I picked up a Fenwick Streamflex Plus 9’6 4wt that extends to 10 feet without having to break down your rig. It is a superb lake rod that is great with a SA Mastery ART 5wt line. I got it to swing soft hackles and tight line nymph but it is a superb Stillwater line too and using the 5wt line it handles the wind very well.

Butchersdog80

Reaction score
I had a 9'6" 6wt that I loved for wading in deeper water, which I did more commonly back then. Cabela's LST I think, it just got broken last year and I could only get a 9ft to replace it so far. I also have a couple of 10ft 7wt and they really are harder to handle. Looking forward to more midrange options myself.

Firehawk54

Reaction score
I have a 9'6wt GLoomis GLX 2 piece rod I recently built up after hanging onto my blank for 20+ years. It sure casts well. That said, I am likely going to build a 10'6wt 4 piece rod for fishing larger still water reservoirs etc. I caught well over 20 nice trout from 17-20" last Saturday, and I can't help but think a little more length will be helpful. Actually considered getting a 7 wt but we don't want to also have to buy a bunch of 7 wt lines, so I will stay 6wt. Already have a bunch of 5 wt lines and a couple rods as well.

greenbuttbomber

Reaction score
I have always used 9' rods but after listening closely to Mr Rowley I decided to try a longer one, Mystic 10'3" 6 wt. It is a terrific rod for indicator fishing but it might be a bit much for just fishing a floating or sinking line all day. With the indicator and a couple flies the longer rod will roll cast really well. I move from a float tube to a frameless pontoon so have room for a longer handled Moby net so landing fish is easy with that set up. Long rods work great for stillwater

doghaircaddis

Reaction score
The stillwater rod I use most is a 10ft 6wt Centric. It's great for casting a variety of lines, indicators, and does well in the wind. I like a 10' 5wt for lakes that have smaller fish or when using a floating line all day. The added length is a game changer.

akuriko

Reaction score
sage x is on sale for $350 off, try this for a 6 wt.