Fall Overturn Effects on Trout

reels

Reaction score
Many of the "lakes" around here are starting their fall overturn (Circulation | fluid flow | Britannica.com)

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed effects fall overturn has on trout?

Personally I tend to notice less "cruisers" near shore, but it's not clear to me if the fish are now holding at different depths, or if I'm just not able to see them due to the stained water. I can say as of recent it's made for more difficult stillwater conditions.

bumble54

Reaction score
Many of the "lakes" around here are starting their fall overturn (Circulation | fluid flow | Britannica.com)

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed effects fall overturn has on trout?

Personally I tend to notice less "cruisers" near shore, but it's not clear to me if the fish are now holding at different depths, or if I'm just not able to see them due to the stained water. I can say as of recent it's made for more difficult stillwater conditions.
I can only speak for the lakes I have fished over my lifetime which varied in depth from 30 feet to around a hundred feet deep.
As summer progresses the surface layers warm up until they reach a point where the trout find it too uncomfortable, and so head for deep water where things are cooler. If it happens to be a stormy summer with strong winds, the water gets mixed somewhat and trout can be found near to the surface much of the time. If it is a warm, settled summer, as it has been for the last few years, it is rare to find the trout close in or near the surface. As the weather starts to cool things reach a point where the surface water is cooler than the water at greater depths and an inversion takes place, it is not sudden (usually) but gradual and can be localized. I find this sickens the trout for a while but once things have cooled and settled the fishing can be very good indeed. I know anglers who won't fish the still waters (now that is an oxymoron if ever there was one) from the end of July until October/November, weather dependent. As you have pointed out, the inversion causes fine particles to rise into suspension but that will settle out as the water gets cooler. I think a lot of the clouding is dead or dying algae cells which are pretty much microscopic on an individual scale but, when in large numbers, colour the water, quite badly at times.