Blue Planet II & Gaint Trevally

mikew1959

Reaction score
I’ve had this recorded for a while and just watched it.
They have Gaint Trevally jumping out of the water and catching birds mid flight.

Really freaking cool!

I’ve never fished for them and I’ve never seen a real one except on TV and in magazines.

Do they go aerial when hooked?

denver1911

Reaction score
All other fish pale in comparison...should be named Great Trevally
Well I wouldn’t go that far. IMO, many fishes are great. From the small mountain trout to the giant tarpon. Certainly the sight of a feeding school of GTs on the flat you are fishing pushes an adrenalin surge. Having one smash your fly at the rod tip in 18” of water does too. Then the run. OMG. Wait .. nevermind .. maybe the GT does make all other fish fade into the realm of boring. I have to wait another four months to chase them again. But I go for Permit in four weeks! Not as big and not as aggressive, but certainly an adrenalin rush. Depends on what you are after. If it’s the fight after a hunt on the flats .. GT. If it’s something else .. well .. something else .. and that’s okay too!

jonbo

Reaction score
But what if you can't find a discarded flip-flop to make your "bird fly" out of? Great vid, BTW.

camelbrass

Reaction score
But what if you can't find a discarded flip-flop to make your "bird fly" out of? Great vid, BTW.
Unfortunately they’re all too common. Pretty much every tropical island in the Indian Ocean that is open to the ocean is a repository for all sorts of floatsam including, for some unexplained reason, hundreds of flip flops. On Alphonse (part of the same chain as Farquhar) they get the children to patrol the beaches and make sea creature sculptures out of them.

Regards,

Trevor

troutman75

Reaction score
Awesome, maybe the coolest I’ve seen this year. I need to start saving up for a trip, and start repurposing the kids flip-flops!

mikew1959

Reaction score
Just watched an episode of “Season on the Fly” with Bruce Chard and his son on Christmas Island fishing for Giant Trevally.
They mentioned the Blue Planet footage and how it started the GT craze.

jonbo

Reaction score
That's sad. I had forgotten for a moment that the oceans of the world are becoming filled with our discarded junk.

troutman75

Reaction score
That's sad. I had forgotten for a moment that the oceans of the world are becoming filled with our discarded junk.
After diving the south mediterrean last summer I have become obsessed with reducing and sorting plastic waste.

There was this beautiful layer of colorful sand everywhere. Only it wasn’t sand, it was smooth granules of plastic the size of sand and small pebbles. I did not see a lot of jelly fish, but free floating transluscent plastic bags of the flimsy kind were abundant.

5-10% of all plastics being produced yearly end up in the oceans.

Sorry for the sad off-topic...

mikew1959

Reaction score
I watched a show the other day that said by the year 2050 there will be more plastic in the ocean by weight than fish.

loomisglx

Reaction score
Fished for them for first time in Christmas Island in 2019, landed a not so giant trevally around 7 pounds and hooked a much bigger fish while trolling flies that broke off the 80lb flouro on the coral. Can’t wait to go back!