Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2

Default Is Maxima ultragreen a good alternative to flourocarbon leaders in lakes?

I am doing some streamer fishing here in the colder temps on a lake close by my place. Does Maxima ultragreen work well for streamers to go after trout and bass or do I need to get a fluorocarbon leader? If so what do you guys suggest for stillwater?

Im just using a combo of 10lb and 8lb ultragreen tied together to make a 10' leader on my intermediate and floating lines.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is Maxima ultragreen a good alternative to flourocarbon leaders in lakes?

For stillwater streamer fishing it should be fine, in most cases.

I wouldn't necessarily use 10 ft. of it though. I rarely fish anything longer than 5 ft. leaders when stillwater streamer fishing.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

3. Thanks hendodesign thanked for this post

Default Re: Is Maxima ultragreen a good alternative to flourocarbon leaders in lakes?

Good to know ... I use a shorter leader on my single handed 8wt spey setup, but didnt think to do the same on my 6wt.

Blog Entries

I should've said that I've used everything from Stren Blue-Green, Spiderwire Superbraid, Fireline, to more recently Seaguar Abrazx. It all will fish, the fish don't seem to be very line-shy when your fly is more than 5 ft. down, and the tip of your flyline doesn't seem to be a problem either.

There are some rare occasions when I've lengthened my leader to 9 ft. and used flouro exclusively, but those situations were gin-clear water, relatively shallow fish, on very bright days.

Generally speaking however, 5 or 6 ft. is long enough and it's easier to cast bigger, bushier flies farther on a shorter leader. For the most part, all of this is also true of streamer fishing in a stream/river as well.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

6. Thanks hendodesign thanked for this post

The Maxima Chameleon is another good option. I am using 3ft of 10lb Maxima Chameleon for fishing deep drop off spey casting from the shore to reach it with intermediate sinking head. I believe at that depth it won't matter floro or nylon. and I don't taper my leaders either.

And just like Rangerrich, I am switching to Seaguar 4x or 3x (9.5lbs) flourocarbon for shallower clear water.

10 lbs Maxima tippet tho is stiffer and thicker than Seaguar 3x flouro so it'll turn heavier flies better. That is another reason why Maxima is very popular with the steelhead fisherman swing with big flies.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

8. Likes flytie09, hendodesign liked this post

IMO, any maxima is fine for Stillwater leaders. However, one may want to incorporate a fluorocarbon tippet if the water is clear.

10. Thanks hendodesign thanked for this post

This is great info. The lake isnít crystal clear by any means. Lots of Lilly pads, grass, logs, and muddy water on the banks. I mostly fish from a kayak so Iím trying to mix it up knowing that there are both largemouth bass and trout in the lake. What brand of fluorocarbon tippet do you guys recommend and what size for 4-8 size streamers. Iíve kept it to 0-2x for the big fluffy wollybuggers and clouser minnows. Hoping to try the chironomid pupa game this spring. Those might need fluorocarbon since most are 12-16 size emergers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk