Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  24
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Should I get a spey rod for lake fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    Once I learned the mechanics and how to let the rod do the work it's great fun. I only use it from the bank, but it gives me another tool to use.
    Wait...how do you load it from the bank? I thought you had to be in the water 15 feet or so in order to load the rod. Do you load it just like a roll cast but more to the side? Sort of? Kind of? I have been trying to watch spey casting videos and everybody I have seen has been in the water and the loop sitting in the water seems like it sits behind you before you cast.

If I don't have to go in all the time, that would be awesome!

ray
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.” –Henry David Thoreau
    Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.” –Groucho Marx

Oh, you CAN spey cast from shore, but it's not easy and you really can't do it just anywhere. If you're standing on a sandy beach or mowed grass it's fairly easy because there's nothing for your D loop to snag. If you set your anchor out a ways and form a shallow D you can do it too, but that's no way to learn, and you lose a lot of power and distance. Most of the time , though, it's so much better and easier if you're at least a couple steps away from shore so you can set your anchor close to you and so your D loop doesn't catch on shoreline vegetation. You certainly don't need 15 feet, more like 5 to 10 feet will often do. You can always give it a try from the bank, but don't expect to be reaching those fish 50+ feet away with ease.

3. Likes busbus liked this post

Flav says it in the post above. I stand a couple feet off the bank. It's normally warmer and the water is fairly shallow for a few feet from the edge.

5. Likes busbus liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    Flav says it in the post above. I stand a couple feet off the bank. It's normally warmer and the water is fairly shallow for a few feet from the edge.
    Then I was more-or-less right: Stand in the water a bit and cast from there. No issues! I just want to make sure I do this the best way and, more importantly, the easiest way to learn how to cast correctly.

I did find several YouTube videos explaining how to spey cast in a really tight spot and even on the bank. It seems like it isn't too terribly hard but it does look as though your distance may be limited.

ray
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.” –Henry David Thoreau
    Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.” –Groucho Marx

Busbus...you don't have to wade to cast. see my video below.

The majority of my fishing is lake fishing with switch rod for the reason of reaching the drop off with ease. I think there is more pros than the cons. like easy distance even for beginners and with the integrated shooting head and running line you can cast and fish really close and strip the head in up to the leader. I find that with less than 11ft long <5wt switch rod I can still single hand cast. When fishing is slow, you can turn it into practice session doing river left and river right.

What you have to pay attention when using a full river spey setup in a lake is with sinking tip, shooting head and weighted flies your sweep timing is more critical since they sink faster than in the river.

And, I find that using intermediate or straight flourocarbon leaders have better result than Imow or T tips especially when your are fishing the flat part of the lake. Since the possibility for the fish to see your leader prior to the fly is greater than swinging in the river. Of course sinking tips will do great when you are casting for the drop off but you must do the counting method.

Here is a glimpse of what a switch rod can do in tight situation with short head and close anchor

I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

8. Likes busbus, fr8dog liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123