Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 8wt for short casting distances

Hey all!! First post, long time fly fisher. I'm starting to do more saltwater fly fishing in NC now that I have a skiff. My current rod is a TFO TICR-X in 8wt. It shoots lazer rocket beams....... when I have 70' of line out. For shorter distances 30-50 feet..... forget it!! I've up lined it with a 10wt tropical clouser and it's much better at shorter ranges but this will get tiring quickly. So, what is a good medium to medium-fast rod for close in work?? Seems everything on the market these days keep getting faster and stiffer to make those magical +100' cast that are never required in most fishing situations. Best I can find would be the TFO Mangrove. What's your thoughts???

2. Likes fq13 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 8wt for short casting distances

Glass, go to a fiberglass rod. I use my 7’6” 7/8 weight Cabelas CGR a ton for those 30-50’ type of casts. The CGR will set you back all of $70. Redfish, Speckled trout, etc. are a lot of fun on deep bending glass rods. Another fiberglass rod to look at is the 8’ ECHO BAG Quickshot. 4 times as expensive as the Cabelas and more of a medium action instead of slow like the CGR.

I have the 9 weight Quickshot. It’s a canon and will conquer the wind, but it’s heavy. I got mine for bull reds, better jack creavelle, and juvenile Tarpon. Maybe the 6 or 7 weight would be a better option for smaller fish.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

4. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

What he said ^^^

Welcome to the forum, no place on the www knows fly fishing like this membership!

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

6. Likes karstopo liked this post

Those Ticr x rods are much like a broom stick, anything will feel better than that rod in close! I like my 8wt cabelas Lsi, though I believe it has been discontinued.
    Danny

Quote Originally Posted by birdyshooter View Post
    Hey all!! First post, long time fly fisher. I'm starting to do more saltwater fly fishing in NC now that I have a skiff. My current rod is a TFO TICR-X in 8wt. It shoots lazer rocket beams....... when I have 70' of line out. For shorter distances 30-50 feet..... forget it!! I've up lined it with a 10wt tropical clouser and it's much better at shorter ranges but this will get tiring quickly. So, what is a good medium to medium-fast rod for close in work?? Seems everything on the market these days keep getting faster and stiffer to make those magical +100' cast that are never required in most fishing situations. Best I can find would be the TFO Mangrove. What's your thoughts???
    An 8 wt for short cast is a 7 wt. I'd take your 8 wt line and reel and cast a 7 wt rod with it.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

9. Likes huronfly, dylar liked this post

An over lined 7wt sounds like just the ticket. But a really short, super aggressive shooting head line might work as well.

Me personally would rather use a shorter rod with the right line with less swing weight than over lining with added swing weight. Less tiring that way.

I have the Redington Predator 8wt 7'11" with Sage Bass II line 330 floating and Rio OBS intermediate 330 8wt. The rod casts short really well and good for medium distance. I don't cast to the sunset anyway. The Epic 8wt 8'8" fiberglass is also really good.
    Last edited by runningfish; 06-07-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    I don't always catch fish; but when I do I scream like a little girl.

12. Likes fq13 liked this post

I have that rod in 7/8/9 wts. I use a SA bonefish taper WF8 on the 8 and it works well for almost everything I do. Bass to bones. (Not in cold weather). Maybe try a shorter head? I can do well with a 9 or even 10 line but I keep going back to the 8. Not really sure whatís on the 7 & 9 but they're not overlined to the best of my knowledge. The rod is kind of a broomstick and physically heavy, but itís durable and I can trust it. I like them. I do a lot of short range sight fishing with that 8. Probably just used to it.

Orvis Clearwater is a nice medium-fast rod. A 7 or 8 would probably do what you need. I just got a Blue Halo glass rod that I am enjoying. It is faster than the CGR but not as heavy as the BAG. The price is about the same as the BAG. The CGR is a remarkable rod for the price. An Allen Compass in 8 wt may also work. I have not tried the new one, but the first generation had a nice feel to it. The build quality seemed better than you'd expect at the price.
    People complain about the humidity in Florida... but no one's ever had to shovel humidity to get to his car.

15. Likes runningfish, fq13 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mjkirshner View Post
    Orvis Clearwater is a nice medium-fast rod. A 7 or 8 would probably do what you need. I just got a Blue Halo glass rod that I am enjoying. It is faster than the CGR but not as heavy as the BAG. The price is about the same as the BAG. The CGR is a remarkable rod for the price. An Allen Compass in 8 wt may also work. I have not tried the new one, but the first generation had a nice feel to it. The build quality seemed better than you'd expect at the price.
    I have an Orvis Clearwater #8 tip action for sale. It's 9' but a nice rod and I'll take $150 plus actual shipping. Ironically the reason I am selling it is because I bought a 7'10" Reddington Predator. I love both rods, but I don't need three eight weights. Either the Clear water or Predator will make you happy, just get a heavy grain line and slow down and let the rod do the work.
    Ps I will throw in a Cabelas house brand reel made by Lamson with the konic drag loaded up with a Sa warm water redfish line for $75 more. All spooled and ready to fish, but I have nothing but love for the Reddington.
    Last edited by fq13; 06-13-2019 at 04:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast