Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default Need Suggestions For Lake Fishing

Been a stream guy for years. I just took the plunge and bought a kayak to fish the lakes here in Eastern CT. While I know what to look for on a river in regard to where to fish, i'm having a hard time on the lake. Today I was casting in some areas near shore, and caught a large pumpkin seed, and a small perch. Now I'm happy I caught something, but I was trying to target either LM/SM Bass or the Rainbows that this lake holds. I could use some suggestions on whether I should continue casting near shore or if I should invest in a fish finder to target the deeper parts of the lake. I feel like I've never fished before

Default Re: Need Suggestions For Lake Fishing

I've fished a lot of the lakes in eastern CT (and nearly every trout stream).
    You don't need a fish finder, you just need to learn how to read the water.
    Trout will travel looking for hatches. Look for weed lines, drop-offs and other transition points and of course bugs.
    If there's no weeds, then there's no bugs
    A high slope on shore indicates a quick drop-off under water.
    Largemouth will lie in wait in cover. Even a single stick or blade of grass might be just enough to shade a bass' eye.
    Smallmouth like points, drop-offs, old stream beds, and other rocky areas... a 4-6' deep boulder field is ideal
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

3. Likes Joey Bagels liked this post

Default Re: Need Suggestions For Lake Fishing

I thought that the state had all the lake contour maps on-line but apparently they still make you buy the book.
    I think that I have 2 or 3 old ones. I'll send you one if you want. PM me
    Mine are not this "updated" version, they only cover the lake contours and a brief description of the fishery

DEEP: Lake and Pond Book
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart