Tenkara rod building kits

mdraft1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Would anyone be interested in a Tenkara rod kit, where you build the rod yourself (i.e. assemble the sections, paint, fit the grip (or turn your own), install hardware)? I am considering having a custom rod made and want to gauge interest before making the investment.

mdraft1

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I know about the site. Just thought another wouldn't hurt. I was thinking of offering different rods and more options.

Thanks.

craigthor

Reaction score
Personally not myself, the market is flooded with low to mid grade rods at this point. Creating a high end rod from scratch on the other hand may be interesting though even when dealing with premium rods I'm fairly particular about weight and balance along with feel.

pszy22

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Would anyone be interested in a Tenkara rod kit, where you build the rod yourself (i.e. assemble the sections, paint, fit the grip (or turn your own), install hardware)? I am considering having a custom rod made and want to gauge interest before making the investment.
For better or worst, I guess depending on your perspective, tenkara rods tend to be pretty simple creatures. There is not nearly the complexity involved as with a reeled rod, and hence there is alot less opportunity for creativity/customization.

The main opportunity for doing your own thing would be to customize the cork grip, that's one place where you can let your imagination run wild. Other than that, you could add a non functional wrap or two on the handle section, but that's about it.

When it comes to assembling sections, that takes less than a minute or two to do, there is only one way to put them together. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but from my experience, you'll ruin a rod if you try to paint it, the sections will no longer properly engage. There is a fair level of precision tolerance required between sections.

Regarding hardware, for all practical purposes, there is none. There is a butt cap on one end, a lilian on the other. If one is feeling creative they could carve a nice plug for the end.

There is just alot less opportunity for creativity than building a rod designed to be used with a reel.

TO have a truly one off custom rod made from scratch would be a fairly expensive undertaking.