Why Tenkara?

patrick62

Reaction score
I toyed with calling this "Whither Tenkara" but then I'd have to get all lyrical.

This all started when my cousin's husband, an accomplished and ecumenical angler (he could catch fish with a piece of clothesline, a stick and a a hook bearing a piece of last week's meatloaf) sent me the 10-foot six-inch Temple Fork "Soft Hackle" rod for my brithday.

(His wife, my cousin, got him started with whatever Tenkara rod Orvis sells.)

I had no idea what to do with the thing so I waited until early this summer when Ian was around to show me how to rig it.

He did something complicated with a piece of braided line to the lillian, and then a long length of 20-pound fly line backing.

I found this arrangement lacking, somehow, so I lost the backing, retied the braided stuff, and deployed a 6-foot furled leader I had sitting around. With a length of 0X mono tied to the tippet ring, I was ready to go.

I must emphasize that my method was completely improvised with the materials at hand. Your mileage will most decidedly vary.

The first thing I learned was that the phenomenon of the free hand grasping for a non-existent line takes about an hour to go away. And it can reappear at any time.

The second and far more significant thing is this: Using a Tenkara rod has made me a better fisherman.

WHy? Because I wasn't paying enough attention to my position in the river. Especially lately, as I have gone whole-hog into the long nymphing rod mode.

With a fixed-line I can't compensate for being in a less-than-ideal spot by making a longer cast.

I have to move.

And to do that successfully, I found myself paying far more attention to currents and rocks and keeping a low profile.

So when I'm out with a regular fly rod, I find my approach has changed.

And I am catching more and better fish.

I'm all for the simplicity and portability aspect.

I enjoy the quizzical looks from other anglers.

And I have taken to calling the fixed-line stick a "Yoda rod."

But the primary benefit is that using the fixed-line rod forced me to relearn everything I had forgotten or ignored about my overall approach to moving water.

“You must unlearn what you have learned.”

dhaynes

Reaction score
Nice story.. enjoyed reading this...

For the TFO rods, a line made from the running end of a 2wt fly line works well. The TFO rods are stiff enough to handle the regular fly line well. I cut the line to the length I want, nail knot a small piece of amnesia with a perfection loop to one end, and use albright knot a length of fly line backing to the other in order to attach the line to the lillian using a girth hitch. Works well and it floats!

J

james w 3 3

Nice post. Reminds me of something I heard quite a while ago that took me a long time to actually learn was true . . . "You catch fish with your feet."

:thmbup:

patrick62

Reaction score
I hope somebody who is better at manipulating photo files will take a stab at the definitive Yoda Rod image, but for now this will suffice:

Mrtrout

Reaction score
I very nearly gave Tenkara up as a bad job when I broke the tip of my first rod on its first outing.
I persevered and glad I did, I've had some great fish on it this season, my best being a wild brownie around 2.5lbs that was quite a challenge.
It took me ages to stop looking for the reel every time I hooked a fish, but I agree, it makes you a more thoughtful angler, and I concentrate much harder when using it.
It'll never take over from a rod and reel for me, but it has its uses, and is so easy to tuck in the back of your vest, just in case.
S.

opus

Reaction score
I'm having a blast with Tenkara! Just started this year and havent looked back once yet. I'm sure I'll use my other gear when I get to some bigger water....maybe.

Almost everytime I go to town, I go up the Thompson River for a few...hours....[shhhh!] Nailed a 14" fat rainbow the other day, such a hoot!

Wife wonders why it takes me so long to run errands. :cool:

rsagebrush

Reaction score
Definitely a fun and simple way to fish. Stalking and positioning is paramount and once you become proficient at that the method is incredibly effective. The dry fly drifts you can achieve are simply phenomenal. Wet flies and nymphs are deadly too. Certainly a no drag method.

I generally fish with a level line of flourcarbon with tippet ring and add tippet as needed. Line control is always excellent as there is generally nothing on the water to impede the drift. I have fished lines out to 24 feet with this method but generally us lines about the length of the rod. The Japanese made rods are truly marvelous, so if you get a chance try one.

I've never tried the meatloaf method but I am sure my favorite pattern, the Sawyer Killer Bug is certainly a close match.

Since taking up this method in 2009 I am always amazed at just how close I can get to fish. I has improved my fishing with western gear exponentially. You can't be a lazy fisherman with this technique which won't allow you to bomb out long and generally ineffective casts.

dhaynes

Reaction score
I have the Nissin Royal Stage 360, 6:4. Chris Stewart says its performs very closely to the zerosum. I think you'll like the zerosum a lot.

mbphotos54

Reaction score
nice write up, Ive recently giving hard thought to giving this a go, I was looking at building a 3wt for creeks, but heck these rigs sound fun. A friend of mine has the Sawtooth package, looks great for the price of the package. Ill likely be joining the tenkara use club soon.
Mike

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I always like to post these threads. I've spent considerable time on the streams with Tenkara guys. I don't want one now, but I appreciate their capabilities. Amazing at small stream work. You need considerable skills to match them for their delicate presentation. Do they have presentation limitations? Yes for sure, but I have seen Western fly gear guys humbled a number of times by Tenkara in the hands of somebody that spent a year learning their proper use. They have their place and Tenkara guys are just as passionate as the "normal" fly guys. It's not about the gear,. It's about the fisherman's skills.

mbphotos54

Reaction score
I always like to post these threads. I've spent considerable time on the streams with Tenkara guys. I don't want one now, but I appreciate their capabilities. Amazing at small stream work. You need considerable skills to match them for their delicate presentation. Do they have presentation limitations? Yes for sure, but I have seen Western fly gear guys humbled a number of times by Tenkara in the hands of somebody that spent a year learning their proper use. They have their place and Tenkara guys are just as passionate as the "normal" fly guys. It's not about the gear,. It's about the fisherman's skills.
well put. My idea is i can spend 400 on a 3t rig for small creek.. or 160 on one of these 12 ft fixed line rigs, and heck i enjoy fishing close up so could be a fun way to play with tiny fish. and the idea of it making me better at reading and stalking fish, sounds fun. ultimately just another tool in the tool box