The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

The Tenkara Forum Threads Discuss the tackle and techniques of Tenkara fly fishing here

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 03-19-2017, 06:34 PM

ejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant future
Default Not traditional but worked

Took my new Tenkara USA rod out for the second time today to a very small creek a TU club stocks with rainbows in the fall. My previous excursion resulted in a 2" river chub. I hiked down to my favorite hole hitting 2 or 3 other holes on the way with just a few casts. Spent about an hour trying various nymphs with no luck. With about a half hour left I tied on a black bugger and slow drifted it through the hole several times. I didn't have any takes but I did get a chase when I went to recast. Got a couple more chases retrieving it back up river but the fish kept turning away at the last second. So I decided to do the unthinkable. I tied on one of my steelhead clousers. I drifted it through the hole a couple times and then I started swinging it through and retrieving it quickly with jerky motions. That got their attention. I caught one almost immediately and a second shortly after that. Lost another one and then on my way out caught a 3rd. It was just above freezing today and all of the fish were hiding out of site in deep holes. I was pretty surprised they wanted to chase something but I'm glad to have my first real tenkara catches.

First fish
Click the image to open in full size.

Didn't get a good shot of the second or 3rd. But here's the best I got of the 3rd before he jumped out of my net.

Last edited by ejsell; 03-20-2017 at 03:57 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ia_trouter, cochise, pab1, jeepster II liked this post
Old 03-19-2017, 08:10 PM

james w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Not traditional but worked

Those are some darn nice fish!
The ability to try many things is one of the pleasures of Tenkara.
Congrats on a fine bit of creativity leading you to a nice catch.
Likes ejsell liked this post
Old 03-19-2017, 08:24 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Glad that worked out for you. Steelhead flies on Tenkara is very unique. There are certainly days when thinking out of the box pays off.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 03-20-2017, 07:39 AM

ront is on a distinguished road

Am a member of that 'club', fished AC a few times but usually fish each of the CF's.
Cheers,
R
Old 03-20-2017, 08:25 PM

ejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront View Post
Am a member of that 'club', fished AC a few times but usually fish each of the CF's.
Cheers,
R
I joined it 2 years ago but due to distance and timing was never able to attend a meeting. I didn't renew last year but probably will again this year and may actually attend a meeting. I grew up on the CF and worked for one of the liverys all through high school and college. I try to hit the upper everytime I visit home but do occasionally hike way down into the lower when I have more time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2017, 08:01 AM

ront is on a distinguished road

Have caught Trout within sight of Rt. 42 on the 'other' CF, lots of ideal Tenkara water there, with permission. I stay away from the crowd at Gatton Rocks.
Cheers,
R
Old 03-21-2017, 08:36 AM

cochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome! Making Tenkara happen!
Old 03-21-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront View Post
Have caught Trout within sight of Rt. 42 on the 'other' CF, lots of ideal Tenkara water there, with permission. I stay away from the crowd at Gatton Rocks.
Cheers,
R
I was just talking to my father in law about fishing it last week. It ran through the front of their property when my wife was growing up before my father in law took up fly fishing. Thanks for reminding me, I had to stop over there on Sunday and that would have been more convenient than where I ended up going.

I only hit Gatton Rocks if pressed for time, it's 5 minutes from my father in laws but there's a couple of other spots nearby also.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2017, 04:53 PM

vanwagw will become famous soon enoughvanwagw will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsell View Post
Took my new Tenkara USA rod out for the second time today to a very small creek a TU club stocks with rainbows in the fall. My previous excursion resulted in a 2" river chub. I hiked down to my favorite hole hitting 2 or 3 other holes on the way with just a few casts. Spent about an hour trying various nymphs with no luck. With about a half hour left I tied on a black bugger and slow drifted it through the hole several times. I didn't have any takes but I did get a chase when I went to recast. Got a couple more chases retrieving it back up river but the fish kept turning away at the last second. So I decided to do the unthinkable. I tied on one of my steelhead clousers. I drifted it through the hole a couple times and then I started swinging it through and retrieving it quickly with jerky motions. That got their attention. I caught one almost immediately and a second shortly after that. Lost another one and then on my way out caught a 3rd. It was just above freezing today and all of the fish were hiding out of site in deep holes. I was pretty surprised they wanted to chase something but I'm glad to have my first real tenkara catches.

First fish

Didn't get a good shot of the second or 3rd. But here's the best I got of the 3rd before he jumped out of my net.

Way to go with your creative approach. Looks like it worked out well for you!
Old 04-04-2017, 10:53 AM

patrick62 is a splendid one to beholdpatrick62 is a splendid one to beholdpatrick62 is a splendid one to beholdpatrick62 is a splendid one to beholdpatrick62 is a splendid one to beholdpatrick62 is a splendid one to beholdpatrick62 is a splendid one to behold

Last summer, when the Housatonic River was reduced to a trickle running through an ornamental rock garden, I pioneered Tenkara Czech Buggering, which sounds like an X-rated Internet search.

Using a massive 13 footer and a 6 foot furled leader, I rigged up not one but three Wooly Buggers - unweighted green size 12 up top, unweighted black size 8 in the middle, beadhead brown size 8 below.

I deployed this unlikely setup in one of the few deepish runs available last summer. The smallmouth went nuts, probably out of boredom.

I wouldn't recommend this approach with an expensive Tenkara rod but this was one of those $50 Chinese jobs from an outfit called MaxCatch. It's slightly more dynamic than a broomstick and about as easy to break.