The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

The Tenkara Forum Threads Discuss the tackle and techniques of Tenkara fly fishing here

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 06-22-2017, 08:38 PM

ponycarman is a jewel in the roughponycarman is a jewel in the roughponycarman is a jewel in the rough
Default Tenkara and streams with cover

I'm interested in trying tenkara sometime in the future. Been researching some rods and equipment. Most of the rivers I fish have somewhat dense tree cover down the banks. I wouldn't call the stream tiny. Maybe around 30ft across in their smallest spots. Most are a little bigger in most areas.

My question is how are tenkara rods around tree cover and smallish streams? I've heard many say it is ideal for smaller waters but I normally fish a rod around 7ft long. Seeing that most tenkara rods range from 10ft-13ft kinda makes me nervous. How do you manage such a long rod around trees? Are there tricks to work around cover or is it not as unweildy as I think in my head?

Any info would be awesome.
Thanks a bunch,
Mark
Old 06-23-2017, 03:05 AM

tcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tenkara and streams with cover

Hmm 30' across and wider with dense tree cover would not be ideal. But it could be done. I would be more likely to use your shorter western rod on a stream that size.

The advantage with a Tenkara rod is you could stick it straight out into the stream and perform water load casts or roll casts. But the problem I see is with trees overhead and to each side bringing the fish to hand may be a problem as you have to either raise the rod tip to get the line / fish within reach or you would need to sweep it to the side and beach the fish.

You would definitely have to pick your spots with either type of rod.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes fredaevans liked this post
Old 06-23-2017, 06:58 AM

ponycarman is a jewel in the roughponycarman is a jewel in the roughponycarman is a jewel in the rough

The streams probably aren't quite as bad as I described. It some places yes but not all. That would probably be the worst case scenario. I guess I'll have to get the stuff and just try it. Then if I find the river is too small from it then I wouldn't use tenkara on that stream moving forward.

I remember when I started fly fishing I had to be pretty mindful of my 9ft rod. When I saw 11ft and 12ft lengths it made me dizzy haha.

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-23-2017, 08:14 PM

garybrower is on a distinguished road

Head over to the Tenkara USA site, and listen to some of the podcasts, especially to the more recent ones where Galhardo talks about rod lengths, small streams, etc.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ponycarman, bushak liked this post
Old 06-24-2017, 05:58 AM

Some very good info in those podcasts. Thanks a bunch!
Old 06-25-2017, 05:18 AM

protein is on a distinguished road

Mark,
I'm also in the Upstate of SC and understand the kind of waters that you're talking about. I have messed around with a tenkara rod on these kind of streams. I'm using a shorter (8'6") tenkara rod and do find the overhead brush to be a nuisance, just how it is with my western fly rods.

I think there could be an advantage with a tenkara rod, to allow for better drifts, using the water to load the rod and a sidearm cast, but hook sets and landing the fish may still be a problem.

So far, I think the shorter western rods allow me greater access to more water, by allowing me to be in a workable spot and make longer casts. I'd still like to try with a 10-12' tenkara rod, though, before I come to any conclusions.
Likes ponycarman liked this post
Old 06-25-2017, 08:05 AM

james w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant future

We run into this often in the Sierras of California. Very simple solution is a short rod stashed in your little daypack.
I purchased a Shimotsuke Kiyotaki 21 from a shop in Japan last year, a bit startling to look at at first, but a very capable rod.
The harder it is to maneuver due to vegetation, the more fish seem to be there!
Old 06-25-2017, 07:37 PM

I'll have to give it a try as soon as I can get a rod. Looking at a 12ft caddis rod from fountainhead. Looks nice for the money. If it sticks I can invest more later if needed. I like the theory and techniques with tenkara. Not really looking to replace my western gear fly fishing completely. Just to add another tool to my fishing options and try something different than what I'm used to. I like the portability and the delicate presentation. Gonna be fun to try!

Last edited by ponycarman; 06-25-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:05 PM

protein is on a distinguished road

That sounds like a reasonable plan. As you said, it's another tool. No need to go "all in" or to make it western vs tenkara.

I hope you have fun with it.

I was fishing the Davidson last weekend and switched back and forth between the two. Just having fun.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protein View Post
That sounds like a reasonable plan. As you said, it's another tool. No need to go "all in" or to make it western vs tenkara.

I hope you have fun with it.

I was fishing the Davidson last weekend and switched back and forth between the two. Just having fun.

Awesome! I still have yet to branch out to try nc streams. I've heard they are nice. I'm too lazy and spoiled being close to some decent (in my mind) waters here in easley haha.

I have a good time with western gear. Some places I know won't be practical for tenkara. But having another fun option to fish is a no brainer for me. I even enjoy a telescopic cane pole with a fly sometimes. Fun fun! I can't wait haha. Hoping to place an order for a rod sometime this week. I will post my progress as it comes. Hoping to get and fish a little independence day weekend.