Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
    Blog Entries

Default Light Weight Nirvana

My first 2 hand casting rod was a 1981 Hardy Salmon Fly graphite, it is 13 foot 9 inches and I'll let you in on a secret, it's heavy. Heavy but powerful, heavy but made in the old European style. The last time Hardy offered comparable rods was I believe 2012, these were called 'The Artisan Series' and they sold for 2,300.00 each. I've never handled an Artisan rod but remembering the detailed pictures on the old Hardy website I was able to think that they were essentially new versions of the old 1980's rods and they were a bit lighter in weight.

When I say the old rod is heavy think along the lines of 15 ounces and you're in the ball park. Due to the rods weight I felt the need for a reel to balance it and I bought the new Wide Spool Perfect 4 1/4" when they were introduced, weight of reel...Ö somewhere around 14 or 15 ounces I think. Then there was the line, to bring the rod really to life you need an 850 grain 65 foot mid belly. I'll do the math and that's a 2 ounce line + nearly 34 1/2 ounces of rod & reel = 2 pound fishing pole

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy taking the Hardy out for a spin on the river every now and then but...Ö Saturday I finally put that new super light Sage Spectrum reel onto a super light Sage X rod and it works with a 540 grain line. All tolled it's under a pound, rod, reel & line. Now a pound may not seem like a lot, it's only 16 ounces right? But for me this is a whole new thing, it seems almost weightless

So what's the point in posting all this? I'm looking for other testimonials from those who have experienced the changes from heavy to light rigs. I also threw together a new lightweight 5 weight outfit this year comprised of a Sage Foundation 9 foot 5 weight and a 4-5-6 Sage Click. Now that's a light set up but I'm sure you guys are used to that type combo, for me it's all new like the Spey set.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes brownbass, mcnerney, Bigfly, weiliwen liked this post

Default Re: Light Weight Nirvana

Wow that is heavy stuff!! I'm guessing the 14-15oz reel still wasn't enough to balance that stick?! I haven't been in the game long enough to experience much of an evolution of materials - only 6 1/2 years, but I still use 13-14oz reels on my glass 7129 and 14' 5/6 just to keep the tip from dipping on the swing.

Enjoy your new rigs! I'm sure your body will thank you.
    Danny

4. Likes brownbass, mcnerney liked this post

From my introduction and start in spey as my skills progressed itís been constant refining and going lighter.

My Sage switch and spey are effortless compared to my old echo spey.

I do enjoy the big rods massive lines and the skills Iíve learned but Iíll take less work and enjoyment every day of the week.

Iíve paid my dues with the long rod and I donít want any surgery.

Iíve been on fishing trips where it just should have been called core fitness UFC training program.

And Iíve questioned aloud to my peers, The men of the river spey had to of been some tough sobís.

Blog Entries

I like those Sage Spectrum Max reels enough that I may but 2 more. I use a Dominion (another Sage model) on my 13'6" One and currently a Hardy Taupo on my 11'6" Hardy Swift. The Perfect makes a nice match to the Swift but one of the Spectrum reels would be so light. This could be the changing of the guard here, I've been using Hardy reels since the 1970's.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

7. Thanks unknownflyman thanked for this post

I like the Sage reels as well, but I might have to make the trek south east to speyco see if Tim can lighten mine up a little bit, it’s too heavy for my 11’ and my 13’ Sages.

My brain is conditioned for the balance point and I keep adjusting my hand placement and grip unconciously not a big thing just annoying the hell out of me. The reel balances out my heavy 12’9” perfectly.

9. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Lighter is better.....lets me fish longer and harder....Ard, glad you found your thrill with the X.
    Was unsure when I first started lightening up, now I'm not sure how I got by before.
    There is an aging curve, and a tech curve.....I think they coincided nicely this time.

Jim
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

11. Likes Ard liked this post

I definitely know what you're talking about - when I worked for Nike, the designers were looking for the lightest shoe that could accomplish the task, especially for long distance runners. Over the course of a marathon, a runner could end up "lifting" hundreds of pounds, if every ounce saved per step was added up. Casting is the same - lots of repetitive movements add up.

13. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

I've really crossed the Rubicon here in that 2 weeks past I sold my Hardy Taupo and currently my 4 1/4" Perfect is listed for sale. These are classic reels but they are also heavy reels. granted they look cool and may have actually earned me some street cred with strangers due to their rarity here but the weight was the decider. I'm not sure what I will replace the 4 1/4 with but am thinking on a Bauer.

I have other heavy reels that may see the same fate as the Perfect's, I have a pair of the original design Orvis Vortex reels. great reels but as the Perfect's, heavy reels as well.

Also planning to sell some rods pennies on the dollar due to weight issues. I'm a big guy and even though I grow older I'd guess I still strong generally speaking but............... I spent many years working with my hands to pay my way in life and those toils take a toll as we age. My wrists are not as strong as they were 20 years ago and it isn't all about muscle strength. There's ligament wear, joint wear and etc. and when taken in totality a days casting with a 2 pound Spey rod is hard on what I have left. It is that which prompts the move toward new technology and light weight in both my rods and reels here

15. Likes unknownflyman, weiliwen, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Ard, my attitude about fly fishing is we are acculturated to follow tradition.....whether it is the best way to go, or not.....
    Vests for instance.....9' fly rods......Dry Fly........
    Fly fishing is whatever we say it is, not just what it was.
    I look to the future.
    And the wrist thing is looming large for me as well......lots of work, many climbing injuries, Carpal issues, and Arthritis to boot.
    At a certain point it is shear willpower to go play. (luckily I am ambidextrous, and teach more than I fish...)
    But if they keep improving the equipment, I'll keep playing another year.

Jim

17. Likes el jefe, mcnerney liked this post