Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  22
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trout Spey

Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac, Salmon River, NY and soon Sandy River, Oregon

Default Re: Trout Spey

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Here is another excellent video by Simon Gawesworth (from Rio fly lines), for those that might be interested in trying Trout Spey:

Here is a very good video by Trident Fly Fishing on Trout Spey basics:

Here's a good video from Red's Fly Shop:

These videos are great, super informative. Maybe at some point I will try this style of fly fishing. For now I need to concentrate on catching fish single handed if you will. One question on Trout spey. It looks like the situation best suited would be a wadeable river 50, 76, 100 yards wide, something where you will be making longer casts and also so that you have enough room in which to make those casts. Is that correct ? Thanks.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post

The Spey cast was developed to over come the problem of limited back cast room due to obstructions such as trees or rock walls. Spey casts are rollcasts so the flyline is not aerialized during the backcast.

4. Thanks City Rat thanked for this post
    Likes mcnerney liked this post

Skagit lines aren't really distance lines, like Dillon said, they're designed to cast heavy flies and tips with very little effort and with limited room. Most skagit casts, at least those with with short rods and short head lines, are goingto be in the 40 to 60 foot range. If you're casting farther than that you're shooting a lot of running line and mending is quite difficult.

6. Likes City Rat liked this post

Gotcha. Is there a typical rod length and wt for a trout spey rod? Tight spaces and casting at the distances sounds like a pretty specific rod or am I just showing my newbie flag again, lol. Is there such a thing as the ideal trout spey rod or perhaps less ambitiously, one ot two that are ideal for certain conditions?
    Last edited by City Rat; 04-15-2019 at 05:10 AM.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."

On second thought never mind. I took some time and read through \a number of the trout spey, spey vs. switch rod threads. Great info and answered my question. In short, no there is no ideal rod for trout spey. Moreover, there is little to no standard terminology, guidance on how to match lines to rods to types of fish you are going after. Wow this is complicated. I think that this might be something that I think about after SH fishing for a couple of years and somehow find myself bored or curious. Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123