Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trout Spey

Blog Entries

Default Trout Spey

If your interested in Trout Spey, here is a great article on Midcurrent by Mark Raisler, a co-owner of Headhunters Fly Shop, Craig, Montana:

The Expanding World of Trout Spey | MidCurrent
    Larry

2. Likes eastfly66, bocast, brownbass, Ard, huronfly, qacwac liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Trout Spey

Here is another excellent video by Simon Gawesworth (from Rio fly lines), for those that might be interested in trying Trout Spey:

Here is a very good video by Trident Fly Fishing on Trout Spey basics:

Here's a good video from Red's Fly Shop:

Last edited by mcnerney; 11-08-2018 at 12:15 PM.
    Larry

4. Thanks ifitswims, jujim, dennyk, tln1313 thanked for this post
    Likes Ard, eastfly66 liked this post

Good stuff. Thanks!

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Well , I am and I will , sometime soon !

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Thanks for sharing!

Trout spey has always been in the back of my mind as something I really should try. I have been in a couple situations where it would have been perfect. Hmm....

I can tell right now this is going to get me in trouble with my wife.

10. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Thanks for posting. Something else for me to try and learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I met Simon Gowesworth at the Pleasanton Fly Show, what a humble guy and a good chatter. He introduced himself first and asked me if I had some questions. I took some pictures with him as he kept on checking them to ensure the pictures were good.
    His pointer to me was to remember when to make compact casting strokes and when to open up based on the shooting head length. My question was why my casting with long scandi head is inconsistent compare to skagit and rage heads.

I started to really enjoy trout spey-ing after I built my Gary Anderson ACR Elite 2 wt 10'6", casting 190-210 grain heads. Prior to that I was too busy trying all the brand name switch rods. It's bigger brother is the rod that Tom Larimer is using in that video, the Gloomis GLX Roaring River 5wt 11ft switch. Both of them is basically covering all my trout spey-ing needs all the way to American Shad and Steelhead.

Speying has becoming more enjoyable after I stopped playing with all different rods and lines and just sticking to the same combos and knowing their potential.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

14. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Good find Larry, those are some great video on the TS.

16. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  17. Default Re: Trout Spey

OK so you have line which is a certain mass(weight) and the shooting head. Does the shooting head have to be the same mass as the line? Or Do you need a shooting head? Or do you also add leader and tippett? Man,this gets complicated. I'm thinking a 3 or 4 weight trout spey. I have a nice Hardy #6 reel in the box ,I could use. Thanks,Chet

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jujim View Post
    OK so you have line which is a certain mass(weight) and the shooting head. Does the shooting head have to be the same mass as the line? Or Do you need a shooting head? Or do you also add leader and tippett? Man,this gets complicated. I'm thinking a 3 or 4 weight trout spey. I have a nice Hardy #6 reel in the box ,I could use. Thanks,Chet
    No the shooting head is very thin and has nothing to do with the mass of the shooting head. So a basic setup on your reel goes like this: backing + running line + shooting head (either Skagit or Scandi) + a leader (sinking, intermediate or floating).

View this video, Simon explains the whole setup:
    Larry

19. Thanks jujim thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast