Winston AIR Two-Hander at EFTTEX

coho52

Reaction score
I was surprised when I read about this that a two-handed rod wins Best New Product in the fly rod category. It made me wonder if it means there won't be a lot of new rods being introduced at IFTD later this year; Sage has already shown its new rods. And I'm glad Winston won again - rewards the company and encourages continued innovation. On the other hand, an update to the BIIIX line would have been really great.

coho52

Reaction score
I thought that might be their strategy. Problem is with the FW AIR is that it stops at 6 WT; seems like they don't have a good FW model in 7 and 8 for streamers/bass/etc. The B3Plus is heavy and the SALT AIR is a great caster but poor as a trout rod.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I thought that might be their strategy. Problem is with the FW AIR is that it stops at 6 WT; seems like they don't have a good FW model in 7 and 8 for streamers/bass/etc. The B3Plus is heavy and the SALT AIR is a great caster but poor as a trout rod.
coho, I have not tried an AIR Salt #6 but the Winston folk regard it as their best #6, 7 & 8 ever. I would speculate they would be great at the applications you mentioned based on my use of the #9. However, for most but the most loyal-to-the-green, seeking a terrific #6+ line weight usually involves different designer/brands that excel at such rods. Winston's optimal trout fishing wheelhouse has long been in shorter, lighter line weight models.

steveid

Reaction score
Why do you view the Salt Air as a poor trout rod?

coho52

Reaction score
Someone I know and trust who's a guide tried it and said it was poor for mending and roll casting.

proheli

Reaction score
I heard they are hoping for a big introduction and roll-out within the next few weeks. If I understand correctly they are all spey rods except for the 11'6 Switch. I'm very interested in this one.

proheli

Reaction score
In general, salt rods are stiffer, stronger than freshwater rods, less feel. I'd guess the Air Salt 6 is quite a bit more rod than the straight Air 6. Not that this is the end-all-say-all, but GA at YA said the Air 6 excelled at short to mid distances and excellent presentation. Saltwater fisherman don't give a hoot about any of that, and most salt rods are needed to hit much farther distances regularly and easily.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I like the Winston air single handers, can't wait to try a two hand rod. Interesting to see how different they are from my Sage and Echo`s.

zonk1085

Reaction score
I'm very interested in the AIR TH as well. Received an email from Winston listing the following configurations.

MODELS: 12' 5wt., 11'6" 6wt., 12'6" 6wt.,
13'3" 6wt., 12'3" 7wt., 13'3" 7wt., 12'3" 8wt.,
13'3" 8wt., 14'6" 8wt., 12'9" 9wt.

The B2X two handers had a cult following, particularly the 13'3" 7/8 weight. Still holds up very well against an Asquith and Sage X spey rod I've owned and used. I think the B3TH's were considered a touch stiffer than the B2X generation. I've found my 13' 7 weight Sage X to be a wonderful scandi rod, not nearly as stiff as I'd anticipated from a Sage.

Curious what direction Winston goes with the AIR TH. I've been looking for a shorter 8 weight that's not to stiff. Hoping the 12'3" 8wt Winston AIR fits the bill.

zonk1085

Reaction score
Have yet to see any of these in shops so I gave Winston a call. They should be available to order in early September for delivery in early October was the word I got.