Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Winston AIR Two-Hander at EFTTEX

Winston wins Best New Product for their new Double Handed fly rod at the annual EFTTEX Show

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Default Re: Winston AIR Two-Hander at EFTTEX

I was surprised when I read about this that a two-handed rod wins Best New Product in the fly rod category. It made me wonder if it means there won't be a lot of new rods being introduced at IFTD later this year; Sage has already shown its new rods. And I'm glad Winston won again - rewards the company and encourages continued innovation. On the other hand, an update to the BIIIX line would have been really great.

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post

AIR is the update replacing BIIIx.

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I thought that might be their strategy. Problem is with the FW AIR is that it stops at 6 WT; seems like they don't have a good FW model in 7 and 8 for streamers/bass/etc. The B3Plus is heavy and the SALT AIR is a great caster but poor as a trout rod.

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by coho52 View Post
    I thought that might be their strategy. Problem is with the FW AIR is that it stops at 6 WT; seems like they don't have a good FW model in 7 and 8 for streamers/bass/etc. The B3Plus is heavy and the SALT AIR is a great caster but poor as a trout rod.
    coho, I have not tried an AIR Salt #6 but the Winston folk regard it as their best #6, 7 & 8 ever. I would speculate they would be great at the applications you mentioned based on my use of the #9. However, for most but the most loyal-to-the-green, seeking a terrific #6+ line weight usually involves different designer/brands that excel at such rods. Winston's optimal trout fishing wheelhouse has long been in shorter, lighter line weight models.

10. Thanks coho52 thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by coho52 View Post
    Why do you view the Salt Air as a poor trout rod?

Someone I know and trust who's a guide tried it and said it was poor for mending and roll casting.

I heard they are hoping for a big introduction and roll-out within the next few weeks. If I understand correctly they are all spey rods except for the 11'6 Switch. I'm very interested in this one.

In general, salt rods are stiffer, stronger than freshwater rods, less feel. I'd guess the Air Salt 6 is quite a bit more rod than the straight Air 6. Not that this is the end-all-say-all, but GA at YA said the Air 6 excelled at short to mid distances and excellent presentation. Saltwater fisherman don't give a hoot about any of that, and most salt rods are needed to hit much farther distances regularly and easily.

I like the Winston air single handers, can't wait to try a two hand rod. Interesting to see how different they are from my Sage and Echo`s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast