Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
    Blog Entries

Default Two handed dry fly.....

I have a fun time fishing a dry fly on a switch rod (sz 2-20). Mouse to mayfly. It gives me so much more range and the ability to mend for much better drifts around the 60-70ft mark and out.
    There is a spot here that EVERYBODY fishes. They walk on the trail like all universal fishers tend to do.
    Since there is no trail on the other side of the river, all the fish get taught to go over-there for safety.
    One of my great joys is harassing fish that are beyond the abilities, or gear of the average fisher.
    I will glass the other side till I see a piggy eating, and then send a long distance love bug.
    The look they give in the net, is one of disbelief, and aggravation......
    "I thought I was safe!"
    Insert evil laugh here__________.
    Started fooling with this about 10 years ago....snap-t with a dry has since migrated back to the short stick....
    Maybe the best dry fly cast of all, never leave a fly in bushes again!
    At least on this side of the river....
    Jim

Don't everybody jump in at once.....
    Last edited by Bigfly; 07-08-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

2. Likes mcnerney, unknownflyman, cpiercem liked this post

Default Re: Two handed dry fly.....

I agree with you, a switch is an great tool for picking off those risers on the far bank. That's about where it ends for me with switches and dry flies, though. They're great for streamers and for nymphing, but generally pretty poor dry fly choices, at least at the distances I do the vast majority of my surface trout fishing. I believe my rivers are either smaller or much larger than where you're doing most of your fishing, so I seldom have the need to go much beyond 60 feet.
    And, hey, if your looking for a great spey cast for dry flies with an ustream wind, like the snap-T, try a spiral single spey. The spiral dries the fly, then the single spey shoots it out there with just a touch and go so your fly doesn't sit on the surface like with the snap-T. Of course if you're using a skagit head that's not such a great choice, but for a scandi or mid belly line it's awesome.

Blog Entries

Well, at least someone came back. Thought I would strike out totally.
    I live outside the box, and will try most anything to hook up. Could call me a anti-romantic.....
    The switch with a dry, is my artillery for the fish I can't approach normally. My water is 60-100ft wide.
    Using a Salmo/ steelhead 9wt for the dry.
    I don't dry my fly with a cast, there are other ways, (new fly)(dry shake) and false casting here just chases fish off.
    Mostly though it's not about distance casting.....more about distance mending.
    Been loving my 11ft 3wt too, for the mend.......

Jim

5. Likes unknownflyman, cpiercem liked this post

I fish dry flies and large surface bugs on my spey rod, I did from the start. Its cool, Hell I was muskie fishing on Mille lacs with a rage head and large deer hair dalburg divers. Its kind of overkill for lakes, but I have a few friends one of which swung up a 50" muskie on the Mississippi on a switch rod.

Our trout rivers do not lend to two handed trout fishing, There really isn't anywhere I can't reach with a single hand rod and a 90 foot cast, or I just wade in further or cross the river.

But yes, On our larger steelhead rivers I skate caddis, and wake modern traditional salmon flies, wet flies too. Ive only got a few steelhead on dry flies, it was awesome, I think Im going to try steelhead and lake run brown Poppers, like the do on the north Umpqua, See if it works here this fall. Shhhhhhh

7. Likes Bigfly, cpiercem liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
    My water is 60-100ft wide.
    Using a Salmo/ steelhead 9wt for the dry.
    About what I thought. My water is mostly under 60 feet wide, or well over 100. I can easily cover the far bank with my single hander on the smaller water, but on the big water it's not even something you can consider.

I like the line choice. I spent years slinging a 65 foot midspey on my spey and a long belly steelhead/salmon line on my single handers. It's all about line control, distance is just an added bonus.

Blog Entries

I keep saying that the water should tell us how to fish.....I guess my water has shaped how I fish.
    Tried the standard 9'5wt rod, and dabbled with spey here too. The switch makes me smile.
    Not casting so much....just a succulent mend.
    Fish hate that......

Jim
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly