Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
  1. Default Your experience with these rods...

Hello all,
    Im trying to get into this 2 handed casting game and I am comparing 2 rods for Alaska silver salmon trip this coming August. Having no experience with them I would appreciate your comments.

Beulah platinum 6wt switch rod
    G Loomis pro4x 7 wt switch rod

I am also very new to learning to cast this type of rod.
    Thanks for any info you would like to offer.
    Neal

Default Re: Your experience with these rods...

The tapers on rods in the Pro4x series are similar to what is found in NRX. The bigger two handers, from what I remember, are crisp but not too fast and they have good recovery. I don't have first-hand experience with the switch rods in the series. But if comparing just between these two rods, the 7 would seem like it might have an edge over the 6 because silvers can put up a fight

3. Default Re: Your experience with these rods...

I have been told that silvers are a lot of fun. I an certainly looking forward to it. I appreciate all comments. I probably should just quit thinking this to death and just buy a rod and practice practice practice. I also wonder if I could utilize skagit lines on my single hand rods to help in casting large streamers all day. I see a lot of folks are doing that too. It seems to be just a powered up roll cast as I see it. Thanks.

Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and Shenandoah Rivers, Exploring NY and PNW rivers

I can just tell you my limited experience with Beulah. I have one of the new G2 Platinum Spey rods(8/9 wt)which I got in September to for steelhead and salmon. G2 Platinum Graphene Spey Rods - Beulah Fly Rods

I got it after fishing for steelhead in PNW in July on the guides recommendation and I love the rod. The company was pretty easy to deal with on the phone and actually gave me the heads up on the new G2 series as meeting my travelling steelhead/Atlantic Salmon rod needs better than the current series rod that the guide had recommended initially. I reached out and spoke to the guide and he thought that would work well for me , since he was the one who taught me to spey cast so I jumped on it. Beulah has a pretty good rep on this forum from the feed back that I got here so I think that you probably have a safe bet there. Enjoy!
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

5. Thanks Ard thanked for this post
    Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and Shenandoah Rivers, Exploring NY and PNW rivers

Oh I forgot the part of your question about skagit heads on your rod. I spent some time on the water working with my local fly shop and an instructor in matching the right skagit head, skandi head and shooting line for the rod. Rio actually has a big fat kit full of multiple weight heads for shops to use to help you match the right head to your rod. The instructor had a couple of similar weight spey rods and we tried the lines that he had on his in order to refine the starting point for the search for the right line on my rod. Finding the right head for that rod, the one that will put a smile on your face everytime that you cast it , is a very subjective thing so budget some time on the water well before your trip to sort out which head is right and then to practice with it. Enjoy.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

Love the Beulah platinum, but a 6 is on the light side for silvers, so I'd go with the heavier rod. My experience with AK silvers is you'll be catching more stripping flies than swinging, so the stiffer loomis for is also probably a better fit for that. Either way consider an integrated line instead of a head system. That makes stripping streamers easier and if you're catching a lot of fish those loop to loop connections won't be going through your guides all the time.

8. Likes Ard liked this post
  9. Default Re: Your experience with these rods...

Been fishing in AK for silvers for several years. I used a Loomis IMX Pro Short Spey 7wt (model 71111-4) last fall with good success. 480gr. Airflo Skagit Switch or an OPST 400gr. Commando head with 5'/5' T-11 or 10' T-11 sinktip and 20lb. Maxima Ultragreen tippet. For casting large flies, I use a Sage Method 7126-4 with a 540gr. Skagit head.

It makes me cringe every time someone lists 2x rods and they're just starting out. How does one come to those 2x brands of rods and line WTs?

Shoot....I don't know about either. Maybe sweetandsalt does....but he's not human. So my answer is forget about brand. Especially in those line WTs for Salmon.

You're not giving us a lot to go on here with the type of river, flies, etc. I want to see you have success, I don't want to see you under gunned, and I want to see you have fun and grow with the rod.

I've never been to AK....but I know it's a vast place with various river conditions. Are we talking tiny trib ditches, vast rivers or medium streams? Or all?

I use an 8 WT switch rod for Great Lakes Steelhead. I would consider rivers I fish on the small side compared to the big Western rivers. I choose to use an 8 WT switch rod because it is versatile. I can use small or big flies, sink tips, nymph, whatever and if I get unlucky and hook a salmon.......it's not going to eat my lunch. I can safely put pressure on the fish and land them without concern. I can use a Scandi line for delicate presentations and smaller flies or I can chuck some serious cone headed chickens with a big old Skagit head.

I'd say go with an 11' 8 WT switch rod. Don't worry about the brand at this point. Plan to get yourself a skagit line in the grain window for that particular rod and a 10' T14 sink tip and a couple mono leaders. That will cover you for almost any fly and fish anywhere. You can highstick nymphs or the dreaded egg fly and swing streamers almost anywhere with the best of them.

You have plenty of time....don't rush your purchase. Consider going to one of the Speyclaves in your area that are going to be coming up this summer, try out a bunch of rods, ask a bunch of questions and you'll come out of there with a much more informed idea of what to get and why within your budget range. If you tell us where you live.....we might direct you to a good fly shop to do the same.

Good luck to you and stay fyshy my friend.

If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso