The Cost of a great fishing trip...?

waycool

Reaction score
I know this is not directly Rocky Mountain Fly fishing related.. but I thought I would give a high level summary of what it cost me to fish in Wyoming and Colorado for 11 days... and yes I'm a bit frugal but I promise I never ran out of COLD BEER :)

I traveled approximately 2500 miles pulling an 1100 lb popup. I never "ate out" only cooking in or having cold meals for lunch. I paid to stay at a campground and an RV park (meeteeste, wy which btw I do not recommend, Oasis Motel & RV). $18/night in the campground for three nights and three nights at the RV park at $26/ night.

My total expenditures including a flat repair in Cody and a replacement tire on the popup were right at $1250 that does not include any preparation items like more hooks for flies or additional materials.. but it does include a new pair of wet wading pants ($90) from Wind River Outdoors in Lander,WY (HIGHLY recommend this SHOP !) and licenses (ouch! WY $100)

Now for the shameless plug....

A few months ago I sold a 2008 Toyota Tacoma (club cab 4x4 SR5) great truck I purchased it new in 2008. I purchased a 2014 Silverado 1500 4x4 Z71 Crew Cab (LTZ) to replace the Toyota. Make no mistake this is a big truck ;) believe me I have to park the sucker every day. Next one may be a double cab... but it is nice to have ALL your gear inside the truck :)

This truck has impressed me... Yes it is a nice truck and very comfortable to drive but mostly I was impressed by the FUEL ECONOMY ! I'm nuts right ? Well I averaged 16.6 MPG while pulling the popup (that's with me verifying each fill up and yes the computer is a tad optimistic). The Tacoma would get 13.5 - 15 MPG pulling the same popup (mostly 13.5). All said... I'm ready for another trip to some great destination :) and don't feel bad about killing the environment with my "evil domestic truck" ;). I averaged 20.5 mpg while driving around fishing without the popup. Understand I generally keep it below 10 MPH over the posted limit so I'm not lead footing it ... What's more the truck has tons of power in that little 5.3 liter v8. Would I pull something big and heavy with it? No.

At any rate... I thought I would share what it "Cost" to spend some time in a great place :) and give some due to Chevy for a truck that actually meets the fuel rating on the window sticker ;) . I can hardly wait to go back ;) (look out LARRY !)

Hope everyone finds a way to get out there and keep their lines tight :)

Rip Tide

Reaction score
On our trip last month I had everything that we needed for the week packed in the van before leaving. Every item on every list
That turned out to be very fortunate cuz I ended up forgetting my wallet. :eek:
I had some emergency money stashed and an extra copy of my fishing licence, but no debit or credit cards, no drivers licence or ID, no extra cash

And it all turned out okay.
Other than gas and a bottle of whisky, I didn't spend a cent all week. Even the campsite that we stayed in was free.

On the way back I still had plenty of cash left for some clam shack lunch and a bag of lobsters.
When I go home, my wallet was on top of the fridge where I'd left it. :rolleyes:

lonestarbrewer

Reaction score
$100 for a Wyo license seems cheap every time I head up there and don't have to fish shoulder to shoulder. Sounds like a great trip. I try to stay on NF land when I can to keep it free but having a toilet(even shower) handy is often times worth the campground fees. Glad to hear your new pickup is treating you well, I sell Silverados in NorCo and they make for happy customers long-term. The cylinder cutoff tech and VVT really help with mileage. Having said that, I drive an old Ford that gets about 13mpg but I paid cash and will drive it into the ground. Thanks for posting the cost report, sheds light on how affordable a trip can be if you're keeping an eye on expenditures. $1,250 for 11 days of fishing vacation is a bargain for sure.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Nice report, and it would take me a while to itemize let alone determine the final cost of our month long, 7,000 mile trip last year when fuel prices were high but if I had to guess I'd say $7-8,000.00 and that included a lot of extras, plus fuel used having the truck packed with stuff for camping (though was only used once), and hauling around the extra weight of 2-6gal. fuel and 2-6gal water, and 4-1gal kerosene cans.....also one place we stayed for 3 days ran $250-$350/day. Finally we were not frugal when it came to anything. So if we wanted it, we'd get it.

Lastly, except for a "general" route and a few "must sees" we planned nothing else.....Where to travel to, the route, where to eat, stay, fish all done on the fly.

That said let me suggest this when heading out west, and lets say you intend on doing little to no camping (which will hurt your fishing):
1. TAKE something that can connect to the internet via WiFi. Even most fast food places you can pull into the lot and do a quick google search (though the connections will be slow).
2. As you roll into a town, do a quick search of motels and call them stating bluntly "you're just looking for the least expensive room you can find." Health codes demand that most will be clean enough and on average we spent $50-60/night, spur of the moment....Don't be afraid to say "no thanks."
3. If you're old enough, pay the $17 membership fee and get an AARP card.....You will very likely pay that back on it's first use, each subsequent use a bonus and don't ask about using it UNTIL you have their lowest offered price.
4. If you see cheap gas fill-up even if just a 1/4 tank.
5. Eat early making your latest meal around 6:00PM.....We ended up having to eat bar food (burgers and fries) 80% of our meals in that a lot of towns restaurants were done serving when we'd roll in at 8:00 or so.
6. Don't let your wife start drinking early in the day, it will cost you more in volume, she'll want to stop at numerous bars, she'll constantly complain about the selection, and she'll be cranky by 5:00PM and each subsequent day of that increases the crankiness 5x......Naturally Husband "special time" decreasing proportionally.
7. Take water with you. Don't drink water? Fine, do it anyway. You will want it when you can't get it, and take more than what you think you'll drink.
8. Don't rush or schedule or worry about becoming lost.....In the end it is simply time, and though time has tangible value making it the focus will make all of the time leading up to what you think you should/must do be wasted.....So enjoy the day for how it plays out, that makes it an adventure.
9. That gal in the truckstop does not really think you're handsome like she says, and if you are, your wife will fix that problem if she sees you.....Though I'm still working out why my wife would ask for the keys, then go talk to those gals and hand them money pointing at me as she ran out the door.
10. Above all remember, this is your trip, you deserve this, and no dollar amount is equal to what you deserve.....So just enjoy.

B.E.F.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Thanks for posting this Steve, I’m a wanderer at heart and get just as jazzed reading about peoples travel to angling destinations as others might get, reading about the newest fly rods.

At least to me, this topic “ The cost of traveling to “ would be an interesting running thread for the forum membership to be able to contribute to, in order to build a traveling data base.

I read often of anglers trying to put together their “ trip of a lifetime “ or how they can‘t afford to fish for a certain species of fish, due the cost involved, distances, time or being unaware of their options.
I could see a thread like this as being of real value to others, who may not realize how many ways there are to achieve their fly fishing aspirations.

It could evolve into a best deals, tricks of travel, trip prep, where to stay and why - what makes one source of lodging better than the alternative. Plan B - what else is there to do there, if all else fails. Best eateries and the ones to avoid, righteous fly shops, earning and using reward points for air travel, lodging and ground transportation, easiest or least expensive destination fisheries to travel to and stay at, etc. etc.
Even boiling down the gear packing list to what you really need to have for a specific fishery - traveling light, the essentials.
It could be a DIY'ers dream come true.

Thanks again, Dave

Last edited:

repperson29

Reaction score
That's an excellent idea Dave. I'd have nothing to contribute to it but would benefit greatly from it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

cab

Reaction score
I won't give specific numbers, but say that our trip with Ard cost a bit less than most lodges in the area. This included the floatplane flight out, and all end tackle. The personalized (personable?) service is priceless. Not intended to be a plug, just facts.

I couldn't find anything in Colorado that cost less than twice what I could find in AK.

A word to the wise: ENSURE YOUR GUIDES ARE LOCAL!!! Double check this stuff! For week 2 of our vacation, G.G. and I assumed this, and it made for one of the worst vacation experiences of my life.

HTH,
CAB

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No star plunge? I never miss it when I go to Thermo!

Sounds like an awesome trip for sure. I also stay on NF or BLM, don't really care for parks. Most communities have a dump for black and grey.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
My long time fishing partner and I have gone on at least one week/10 day trip every year for the past 23 years. Sometimes 2
All with-in a day's drive, never with a guide, and always camping. It's almost cheaper than staying home. ;)
Camping is a big part of the experience for me. My buddy hasn't always been so convinced about that, but this year it didn't take him long to exclaim
"I love this place !"

I research where we're going as best that I can and then try to convince my friend that I know what I'm talking about :rolleyes:.
Most of the time it works out.

I make lists.
Fishing gear, camping gear, car stuff, food, clothing. Everything gets "tweaked" from experience.
This year I had 3 raincoats/jackets and and 4 hats and used them all.

The last few years we've been far enough away from civilization to make it inconvenient to drive to a store, so everything comes along from the start.
Food is prepped in advance and frozen. Chili, stew, and spaghetti sauce are staples
I even freeze cold cuts and pre-scrambled eggs.
Even with all the planning, there's always too much food. Often it's more important to fish than it is to eat.

It's been a long time since we have gone without a boat of some kind. Depending on where we're going it's a canoe, a couple of kayaks, or some float tubes.

This may sound too tame for some folks, but in 5 days of fishing this year I caught well over 100 native wild trout and saw more moose than fishermen, all within an 8 hour drive from home

markfrid

Reaction score
On our trip last month I had everything that we needed for the week packed in the van before leaving. Every item on every list
That turned out to be very fortunate cuz I ended up forgetting my wallet.
I am SO glad I'm not the only guy who does that stupid trick!! I guess with all the self-loathing that goes with forgetting my wallet, knowing I'm not alone gives me some comfort. Thank you, Mr Rip! Ha-ha!

Mark

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
That's good mileage you're getting pulling a popup. You're prepared for adventure and nothing wrong with a big truck. I get 14 mpg with my F150 pulling my tent camp in a utility trailer. I get 8 mpg pulling my travel trailer with my F350. Other costs are about the same.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I can hardly wait to go back (look out LARRY !)
Steve: Great report on the cost of your trip, thanks for sharing that! You're always welcome to come up to western Wyoming and fish with me, I had a great time camping and fishing with you as well.

Dave (aka Trout Trekker), I love your idea on developing a section in the forum dedicated to "The Cost of Traveling to........ with all the ideas you posted". Let me put a little thought on where to put it and we will make it happen.

Edit: Thanks to Dave's awesome suggestion I created a new sub-forum under General Discussion titled "The Cost of Traveling to........", hopefully we can build a data base to help others plan a fly fishing trip of a lifetime. For the first post I moved Steve's report on the cost of your trip, into the new sub-forum.

Last edited:

ts47

Reaction score
Rather than start a new thread... I just want to say what a great idea for a permanent section of the forum! Thanks to the mods for doing this and thanks to Steve for the initial post that led to the idea! :thmbup:

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Starting when I was on a college break 45 years ago, I have traveled to the Rocky Mountain West annually. I have missed two years during these decades. Back in the day, I would drive out taking a somewhat different rout each time and spend the summer. No longer feasible, so now I fly and spend a month tent camping along rivers and streams famous and little known. My partner over the last 25 years lives in Portland, OR so, generally, I fly there then drive with him in his Tahoe loaded with all our camping and fishing gear and sometimes towing a drift boat too. Our first camp might be in eastern Oregon or even Silver Creek in Idaho. After that we have a repertoire but no itinerary. We have a free standing, high BTU, two burner camp stove with a grill box and we both cook. Everything from eating schedules to where we are camping is a function of water flows, temperatures and insect hatches. We have cool camp sites we revisit on public land and rarely have stayed in a spot with a picnic table.

Other than my plane fare, gas, out of state season licenses for two or three sates, thick rib-eyes and good whiskey we have few other expenses. We have our extensive array of rods and reels (about ten between the two of us), spare lines and leader tying kits plus elaborate camping gear already. If we see something we want though, we buy it. It could be as simple as a cool, compact LED table lamp replacing our old propane lamp with ever disintegrating mantle, our my bud's mission to find a hand carved wooden trout to hang from our sun shade...found in Idaho. I have weakness for blackberry pie at the Calf-A and you can't go into a local fly shop (& we go into each and every one) and not buy a few flies even if you don't need them. But that, with apologies to the poor trout, is how I learned about hackle stacker emergers.

A month of tent camping does my aging body and spirit a world of good. And fishing every day often two full sessions a day from breakfast to lunch and after early dinner to 0'dark thirty followed by a late cocktail beneath the brightening Milky Way...which is no brighter anywhere than under the Big Sky, even saw the Aurora Borealis one night, affords me ample opportunity to critically analyze the most subtle traits of the newest rods and reels. Most years we have a new rod or two in camp complimenting those that have stood the test of time (which not all do). This year it was a brace of 6-weights, a Radian and NRX which will be back but I don't count their acquisition as part of our trip expenses...

Steaks with Crinkle Cut Fries

Tahoe Rod Rack

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Steve: Again, thanks for being the spark that ignited this idea.
Larry: Thanks for making it happen.

I’m not certain if we should snowball all of our ideas and tips into one thread now that there is a new section of the website on the subject. Or should we start separate threads to examine the separate subjects within the context of fly travel.
So here it goes. If this isn’t where it should be, it can be moved.

The fly fishing lodge.

Here‘s one that’s well known within the industry, I‘ve used it for my groups of friends and for fly shop groups and it’s something that well seasoned fly fishing clubs have at their disposal. It’s not applicable to all lodges, but it is at enough of them to make it worth knowing about.

The scenario can go something like this. Say a lodge typically promotes to the public, individual, six day / five night packages that includes daily guided fishing, meals, rooms ( usually based on double occupancy ) and possibly a shuttle to the nearest commercial airport.
In our model the lodge will set a published per angler price, possibly a second non angler price ( often for non - angling spouses ) and a third, unpublished package that is available to groups that can fill the lodge or a given portion of the lodge.
That third package can be firm or negotiable, depending on several factors. It often will revolve around a deal like this, book five anglers at the full individual rate and get the sixth spot free.
If you can put together a group of anglers that meets the lodges group size criteria, who are ready to pull the financial trigger when the deals struck, you could see some solid savings. For instance you may realize a savings of around 15% off of the price of the individual rate. That doesn’t sound like all that much, but here’s the break down on a package that goes for $5,500.00 per angler.

You’ve got six spots that if individually booked would go for:
6 x $5,500.00 = $33,000.00

Your group of six anglers, pay for five full individual packages and get the sixth spot free. All six anglers pay an equal share.
5 x $5,500.00 = $27,500.00
$27,500.00 divided between 6 anglers = $4,583.33
That’s a savings of $916.67 per angler.

Those savings might take care of each anglers airfare, layover lodging or some of the specialized tackle for that trip.

Still seem like it’s out of reach?
There are other programs / costs / savings that we can discuss as the subject / thread develops.

Challenges: Putting together your own group of anglers, each with the same destination in mind and the funding to make it happen. Partnering those anglers up with each other.

One word of advice to the novice traveler from a guy who developed and booked fly fishing travel programs. If you’re going to shop packages ( what’s included, etc. ) that’s one thing, ask away. But if you’re going to shop prices, be ready to pull the trigger. Many lodges aren’t going to negotiate down from their standard group rates. However some do for a variety of often temporary reasons. Those reduced prices often evaporate in a flash and can come with severe restrictions or you may find yourself trading away some of the polish and perks, normally associated with that lodge. Don’t expect a five star stay if you negotiate down to a one time, two star price.

On the other hand, if it gets you where you want to be and you’re an accomplished self starter, a package that offers a reduced number of days with a guide, off peak season fishing, two hot’s and a cot. That might be enough to make your dream trip a reality.

Dave

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I won't give specific numbers, but say that our trip with Ard cost a bit less than most lodges in the area. This included the floatplane flight out, and all end tackle. The personalized (personable?) service is priceless. Not intended to be a plug, just facts.
I try to make it doable, that lodge up on the hill we couldn't see charges 600.00 per day / per person, 300 for food and lodging & 300 for boats and guiding. I don't know how they work the float plane charges but they get a good rate and so maybe lump it into the rate.

BTW cab, the trout have come alive, I'm home for a couple days but fishing silvers Wednesday evening and Thursday all day, just an overnight on a river. Then it's off on an 11 day trip............

I've done all kinds of fishing trips, the most affordable were from a motorcycle using a small tent. Cheep, you bet but I had to find my own way and it was hard to lose the crowds. I did it every time but then a normal tri was 6 weeks. In that amount of time you can find a few out of the way spots you know. I've taken one day trips that cost 500 for a drift boat but never did a walk in guided trip. Here there are no roads to the remote spots so you either hire someone like me or book a lodge I guess. I applaud those who figure out the bet way to see America and all the incredible places within our boarders and do so within a budget. I did it for many, many years!