Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  25
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Discovering the Driftless region

I think that, no matter where you go, Iowa, Minnesota, or Wisconsin, you'll have fun.

I would like to repeat that the Iowa DNR has a nifty map that they'll mail to you for free with all the trout streams in the state - pretty cool. If you dig enough on the Wisconsin DNR, you can also find most of the same information. Wisconsin's season, at least for C&R, starts January 2, so if winter fishing is your thing, you're not restricted to Iowa.

Generally, in the Driftless, most streams have trout, so it's a matter of finding one you can fish alongside legally. At least Wisconsin has done a good job in procuring easements along streamsides, which I find very nice.

2. Likes herchammer, GrtLksMarlin liked this post

Default Discovering the Driftless region

The Driftless region is amazing, here's some photos from a couple years ago, I'm happy to talk more via PM about location, flies etc!

Just got back from a long weekend in Decorah Iowa. I loved every minute I spent there! The drive from the western Chicago burbs was a bit frustrating due to "construction" (honestly, how many cones does Illinois have?!). But when my dad and I got there, it was amazing!

The town of Decorah is wonderful with a lot of really great restaurants to choose from for any type of food and any day of the week. Side note- like most small towns, Sundays are slow but a fair amount opens up around noon.

For those of us with better halves who aren't big into fishing, there's a decent bit to do in town. There are quite a few home decor stores and about 4 coffee houses. I'd suggest bringing a good book and posting up in a coffee place for a few hours.

The fishing is great no matter what the weather. We had about 50 degrees and raining on and off and the fish were still active. Although they're hatchery fish, they aren't "dumb" by any means and you still have to work for them. There's a few areas that we found that have great access and there are other areas that it takes a bit more creativity to get into the water.

We scouted Yellow River forest since that area has easy access and my dad has a bad hip making hiking a bit tricky. There's a few campground areas that are within 100 feet of the river so you can park, pitch, and fish! There's also a lot of equestrian trails through the park as well.

My dad and I are already planning our spring trips out there but since the season is year round, we might try to sneak back once more before the weather really falls apart.

One thing I will say is this. Contact the guys at Bear Creek Anglers! They are just two guys who love to fish and do guide trips for either half or full days. We reached out to them and both Kent and Tom were not only professional but they treated us like family. They weren't able to take us on the water but they put together a packet of info for us with maps, fly suggestions, equipment suggestions, restaurant recommendations and everything under the sun. They also had us stop by their fly shack and have a few beers, talk about fishing and everything else, and just really made you feel like you belonged.

Thanks to their advice, we were able to find places that were easier to get into with good results and found some really great places for dinner after a long day on the water.

There's a lot of VRBO's or AirBNB's in Decorah and there's also a few hotels. I'm hoping on the next trip, my dad and I can find a pet friendly place and I'll be able to have my wife and our dog join on the trip.

5. Likes weiliwen liked this post

My buddy sent me the below picture from his recent fishing trip to the Driftless.

Suddenly I'm not so excited to fish there.

-Rick Allen

7. Likes chi.fly.guy liked this post

Looks completely accurate! I have some awesome photos of cows checking me out while I was in Wisconsin fishing. There were about 5 calves all in this small area and one "nanny" for the day making sure they were fed and didn't misbehave. Meanwhile, I think the security for the day, was following me around always staying about 20 feet from me. Couldn't tell if she was stalking me to make sure I didn't do anything wrong or just cheering me on to catch some fish.

Cows are part of the equation on many Driftless streams. I've never worried about them; I steer (no pun intended) clear of the bulls, but the cows are merely curious. Yup, they walk in the streams, but it's never been an issue for fishing. They don't bother me, and I don't bother them.

In the Driftless, we don't have to worry about aggressive bears or venomous reptiles, so we shouldn't complain about the cows. On the other hand, we do have Wild Parsnip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12