Some Advice for an Englishman Planning a trout trip to the states?

Reaction score
Hi there,
as my title suggests I am in search of some preliminary advice as I plan a fly fishing road trip in the USA where I can bum around some uninhibited wild river fishing! I'm on a tight budget but I'll go for as long as I can afford!

As you may know, in the UK you're looking at almost the price of a one-way flight to America for just one day on a river worth casting onto. This is extremely suffocating on the urge to catch trout and having consumed plenty of content on the waterbodies in the magical Rocky Mountains, I think I'd like to make a trip out there.

I'm recently 23 and haven't yet swirled down into the vortex of a career but I have completed a Geography degree, I don't think I'll get much more of a chance to embark on a trip like this so I'm going to bloody well take it!

A few things about me & my agenda:

- On a relatively tight budget but planning on working my *******s off to save as much cash as possible before travelling out so if possible, some rudimentary budgeting advice would be great if possible from the info below. I'll be on my own - unfortunately the would be youthful flyfisherman accomplice is a rare breed in London where I live but I'm happy in the company of the country and I'm sure I'll meet people! I don't expect I'll be able to afford guiding either.

- I planned on renting a car/ SUV and camping wherever possible.

- Unsure of which (and how big an) area to choose from but I'm easy really, I'm sure you could guess what I'm looking for having read the works of Mr Maclean's, Gierach etc etc. But really I'll go and fish anywhere in the USA that's wild and secluded! As an englishman, I am by nature preferential to dry fly fishing but of course conditions dictate. Overall I'd say I'm a competent river fisherman.

- Also unsure when to go but I'll need until at least late May to stump up a decent enough wad of cash to make this happen! Is there a point in the year when things really drop off?

- As a 23 year old, it would be great to get to do some boozing in some local bars and exchange some witticisms and mime the lengths of some fish with you local folks!

So with these points in mind, and I realise they leave a tremendous amount of scope for answering them, where do I start!
Let me know if I need to clarify anything further.

Andrew.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
:welcome:

With all the above requirements you are going to love Western Montana! Just trust me on this one!!

Center out of Missoula (connection flights right into the city) for car/supplies/camping gear, unless what you've got packs down pretty tight. Thinking there is what airlines are now slapping on in the way of 'extra fees.' As far as fishing goes once the rivers 'open' for fishing (well before you get here) the 'season' runs well into December. 30 miles north of Missoula and you are in 'The Boonies.' :eek: Bring warm clothing, summers can get really warm but I've had weather just above freezing in late June.

Two things I caution folks about is Montana IS BIG, LIKE REALLY BIG so pick an area and stick with it. Not to worry about places to fish, Western Montana is loaded! The second is towns/cities are FAR apart so don't (if at all possible) don't let your Petrol tank get much below half empty. The next fill up stop could easily be 100 miles away (no kidding). As for a car do go the way of a small hatch-back so you have lots of room (even a small one will suck up a lot of 'stuff') for your kit.

Tonne of info on the Net as to where to fish, flies (almost everything you already have will work just fine), camping, etc. As you center down on where you want to go the folks here are a wealth if information; ASK AWAY!

deceiverbob

Reaction score
My tarpon fishing buddy is an Englishman who came to the States to go rock climbing and never went home. It was easier for him to do that as his father was a Reuters employee and was assigned to the New York area when my friend was born, so he had U.S. citizenship already established.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
First off, welcome to the forum. Just reading your post makes me wish I was 30 yrs. younger and going on an adventure like the one your planning.

Ok, here is what's happening in the Rockies, at least in Colorado. I'll let the folks from Wyo. & Mont. discuss their states water. We are having some incredible warm weather here right now. March is normally our snowiest month, so I am curious to see how this plays out. Right now, it's warm and dry. Lot's of wind lately. In so saying, if it stays warm, I expect to see the run off starting early. Normally it starts near the end of May and finishes in the beginning of July. After the first week of July it's incredible fishing all the way to Nov. But if the run off is early, it'll end early as well. Already I have noticed the rivers ever so slightly getting more water flow here near my house. Still frozen at 9000ft. We have a really good snow pack, but if March is to be dry, well, that will be a game changer. My advice to you is if you can wait till July, do it. But that's just my opinion, so you do what you want. If the run off does come early and finishes early, June would work just as good. But in the Rockies, weather can change quickly and unexpectantly as well.

I'm glad to hear you prefer dry fly fishing. I love dry flies, but occasionally will throw North Country Spiders. They work great in the creeks and streams here.
If you find yourself in Colorado, I'll be happy to buy you a pint and point you in some directions to fish. Bring a rod to handle the wind in Mont. and Wyo. It never stops blowing in Wyoming...at least that's what I have experienced, and therefore the reason I live in Colorado. I despise the wind. For smaller rivers and streams, a medium action 4wt will do it without being overkill. Maybe even a 3wt depending on the circumstances.

Last edited:

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Well, just because of your situation, I would give here in Nevada a thought. Its cheap. If you want to go boozing, there is no shortage of a nightlife here, plus way more debauchery than you could probably think of. Plus, the entire state is 87% open public land. Being that one of the first things you complained about is lack of areas and feeling suffocated, there's few places in the US that I can think of that can offer the isolation, besides Alaska, but adventuring Alaska and a budget don't always go together. VERY easy to find yourself a secluded and isolated area around here. And don't fall into thinking it's all desert and cactus. Pretty much our entire western border is rugged mountains filled with great trout water. For even more isolation you can check out places in the Ruby mountains.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Englishriverboy,

I'd go with Yellowstone National Park for at least part of your trip. If nothing else, go to see the sights as its probably America's most unique place as far as scenery and wildlife. There is also great trout fishing there.

A little hiking gets you away from the crowds.

Some things I'd emphasize:

1.) Make sure that you correctly anticipate driving distances in your planning. American distances are huge and especially in the western states. For instance, Montana is just over 1,000 kilometers across. It's around 3,800 kilometers from New York City to Missoula, Montana.

2.) As was said, keep your fuel tank full in the West. I found it's also good to fill up your water jug. In my western wandering, I sometimes found myself camping in a place for a night that did not have running water.

3.) Be sure to research "fishability" of streams when and where you plan to go. You don't want to show up when snow melt makes them impossible to fish.

4.) It can get cold in the mountain elevations. Be prepared for it if you are camping. For instance, here's a quote from the Yellowstone national park website: "Daytime temperatures are often in the 70s (25C) and occasionally in the 80s (30C) in lower elevations. Nights are usually cool and temperatures may drop below freezing at higher elevations."

jebuwh

Reaction score
Depending on how much you want to travel/spend... I would do some driving and hit some of the popular places here in the West.

Of course now living in Utah I am slightly partial to the state.

I think flying into Salt Lake, then hitting the rivers here, then the green river, up through wyoming and yellowstone, then across to Idaho for Henry's fork and the snake, then back to Utah. That would be a pretty solid fly fishing tour, along with some of the most beautiful country you can imagine!

spm

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, englishriverboy.

As you can see, there are plenty of people on here willing to help. Yellowstone National Park, western Montana, Nevada, Utah, all have something to offer. Whichever you choose, I second the advice that you watch your gasoline and water supply closely. You may not plan to hire a guide, but a stopping in a local fly shop when you arrive at your final destination is always a good idea. Most are friendly and willing to help.

Keep us posted on what you decide and don't be shy about asking more questions.

Travel safely,
steve

rockriver

Reaction score
I'd follow Fred's advice unless your on a totally unlimited budget with no time limits. Montana is the place.

:welcome:

With all the above requirements you are going to love Western Montana! Just trust me on this one!!

Center out of Missoula (connection flights right into the city) for car/supplies/camping gear, unless what you've got packs down pretty tight. Thinking there is what airlines are now slapping on in the way of 'extra fees.' As far as fishing goes once the rivers 'open' for fishing (well before you get here) the 'season' runs well into December. 30 miles north of Missoula and you are in 'The Boonies.' :eek: Bring warm clothing, summers can get really warm but I've had weather just above freezing in late June.

Two things I caution folks about is Montana IS BIG, LIKE REALLY BIG so pick an area and stick with it. Not to worry about places to fish, Western Montana is loaded! The second is towns/cities are FAR apart so don't (if at all possible) don't let your Petrol tank get much below half empty. The next fill up stop could easily be 100 miles away (no kidding). As for a car do go the way of a small hatch-back so you have lots of room (even a small one will suck up a lot of 'stuff') for your kit.

Tonne of info on the Net as to where to fish, flies (almost everything you already have will work just fine), camping, etc. As you center down on where you want to go the folks here are a wealth if information; ASK AWAY!

angledangle

Reaction score
I am biased but I would hit the Walker in California and fish right up into Nevada. With the increase in rain this year, California is shaping up a bit and folks are starting to get excited about multiple rivers here. Fly into vegas or Sacramento and have your fun and pick of direction and world class fishing. Sac River, Yuba, Truckee, Stanislaus, Mokelumne, Tuolumne, East and West Walker, or shoot north towards the Eel, Klamath, McLoud..... Get up to Oregon, skirt over to idaho and fish the Snake, short jaunt into Montana. Cut across Coeur d'alane Idaho and come back via Columbia river gorge hitting Mt Hood and Portland for some night life before heading south through Oregon and all the premier fisheriesbthe have to offer. Sky is the limit. Actually your bank roll is. If it were me I would look and see if amtrak still offers the euro tourist rail passes and plan my trip using that and just get off at premier spots rent a tiny little compact car to toss my backpack with hammock camping gear into for when I couldn't walk my way in.

If you make it my way I wuld gladly take a trip over the pass to meet and fish the walker. There are probably quite a few folks on here who would gladly head out for a few days of fishing if you found your way near their homes. Good luck.

bigspencer

Reaction score
Terrific streams/spring_creeks/rivers in the West...in the Rockies or approaching it. Montana, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and others...those are the five I've been to.
Pretty healthy groundwater and streambed conditions = healthy insect hatches plus healthy minnow populations. There's quite a bit of work over here...something to think about. Then a vehicle, gas $$$, food $$$ and a liveable roof over your head..

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Terrific streams/spring_creeks/rivers in the West...in the Rockies or approaching it. Montana, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and others...those are the five I've been to.
Pretty healthy groundwater and streambed conditions = healthy insect hatches plus healthy minnow populations. There's quite a bit of work over here...something to think about. Then a vehicle, gas $$$, food $$$ and a liveable roof over your head..
Steve, you are right, but there has been a couple of us here on the forum that have sent him a pm to extended our hand to help him out while he is here in an attempt to help cut the expenses.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Steve, you are right, but there has been a couple of us here on the forum that have sent him a pm to extended our hand to help him out while he is here in an attempt to help cut the expenses.
I'm 'in' if he wants to fish the Rogue River this Fall/Winter. :thumbsupu A small warning ... my 100 pound Yellow Lab is a 'lover not a fighter' so get used to sloppy smooch's. :rolleyes:

\fae

Forgot to add? The worst part he'll face is learning how to drive on the other side of the road. Remember my first trip to New Z and the auto rental guy had to teach me how to drive on the 'other side of the road.' It really is disorienting for the first day or two.

Last edited:

aziila

Reaction score
Here Ia m going to say that all the members have shared such nice nad informative posts here which are good. Being a traveler, It is always a great kind of experience for me to read such kind of valuable stuff and increase my knowledge. I will appreciate you all for this and keep doing this in future too.