Trip ideas please!

ryc72

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Long time stalker and first time poster. I would like some educated and experienced opinions. What would be a good fly fishing trip to take mid April with my wife? She likes fly fishing but not nearly obsessed with it like I am. Assume 5 days with no budgetary or geographic comstraints. Was toying with the idea of Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, or Idaho but the weather in mid April is way too volatile for me to risk going to any of those places with my wife. In a perfect world I would fish for 5 days while my wife fished for a couple of days and did her own thing for a couple of days. Couple of things I'm considering, north Georgia (Helen, Clarkesville), Asheville nc, charleston sc for redfish, bonefish and small tarpon in ascension bay Mexico. Any place else that I should look into? Location needs to have somewhat reliable good weather that time of year and be wife friendly. I'm not a purist so pellet fed stocked trout is okay. Any suggestions or comments or opinions??? Thank you in advance!

jayr

Reaction score
I would vote for western NC. April is about the prime time in the area including the Smokies. Look at towns like Waynesville, Hendersonville, Asheville, Brevard, etc.

In the immediate area you have the Smokies and both Pisgah NF's.

ontheflymn

Reaction score
Blue winged olives, gray caddis, and hungry trout in the Driftless. Buggers and nymphs in the AM, hatches in the afternoon. April is a great month to be in the Midwest.

ryc72

Reaction score
I'd be all over the Midwest. Not sure if it passes the sniff test with my wife though. May have save that to go with my buddies. Thank you for the suggestion!

cab

Reaction score
Gulf coast Florida. IIRC, the LMB are hot in Okechobee (sp?), and the seemingly endless opportunities on the slat flats. Bring spin gear too, if she's catching fish, she's having fun.

Just re-read the OP. No constraints? New Zealand.

If neither of these ideas work, dump the GF and head for the Bunny Ranch. :D

HTH,
CAB

JDR

Reaction score
I will second Jayr's suggestion of Western North Carolina. Lots of good water, plenty of good outfitters and guides, and quirky (Asheville) and quaint (Brevard) towns to spend your time off water. Also, some of the best climate in the US. April is the heart of spring with Dogwoods blooming in the forests.

yikes

Reaction score
Costa Rica.
Flyfishing combined with amazing scenery and other active outdoor pursuits. It's like Kauai on steroids.
Ocean fishing or freshwater.

mjkirshner

Reaction score
If you want variety, consider south Florida. I am in West Palm Beach, and can fish the surf or go out on a boat for deep sea fishing from here, or reach Lake Okeechobee for bass or Biscayne Bay for bonefish in about an hour. Mosquito Lagoon for redfish is about two hours north, Key Largo is about two hours south, and the Gulf of Mexico is two hours west. And if your wife wants to do anything besides fish, we have reasonably decent night life here, plus Ft Lauderdale and Miami nearby, more golf courses than anyone needs... and a s**t-load of shopping. The average temperature during the day here in April is in the low 80's.

qbadtrip

Reaction score
Try Belize Ambergris Caye. Plenty of guides and affordable accommodations.

My wife doesn't fish but loves going to Belize with me. She enjoys being on the boat all day but when she is not in mood there is plenty of stuff to do around town or take a tour outing with any of the local hotels. Good luck.

ryc72

Reaction score
All great ideas, thank you! Costa Rica is intriguing. I've never been to Costa Rica and have always wanted to go fishing there. Florida and Belize are both great too although my wife would probably choose Costa Rica as we've been to both Belize and all over Florida. If it were up to me I'd probably choose western nc or northern ga as of now but she's always partial to someplace warm and sunny with a beach. Thanks for all of the ideas. Please keep em coming!

ejsell

Reaction score
OK so it's not exotic or anything but why not Cleveland? You'll have easy access to a great steelhead fishery in Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania. You'll be right in the middle of the spring run for Ohio and Michigan. Plus if you time it right, you'll be able to catch a defending NBA Champions Cleveland Cavaliers game, the defending MLB Cleveland Indians opening day and the College Football National Championship Ohio State Buckeyes spring game all in mid April. Ok, so maybe those last 2 haven't happened yet but I have faith.:)

ryc72

Reaction score
Ha! I'm dying to go steelheading but the key component is the wife. I'm sure Cleveland is awesome but if I told my wife we are going to Cleveland for spring break without the kids I think I will have a lot of time to fish in the future but half the budget to do so.

fly12

Reaction score
a lot of great post here. Take trips that close to you and save up for ones that are longer distance from you.

missin44

Reaction score
Louisiana, redfish. Stay in French Quarter, only an hour at most from fishing, amazing food, history.
New Zealand - excellent exchange rate.
Argentina/Chile - excellent exchange rate, no radical time zone change.
(oops, missed the 5 day thing, nix NZ)
SA due to lack of time change 5 days a bit tight but 7 days very doable.

Last edited:

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Call early this AM ... "I need a time out your guest room still ready?"

"Let me know when your plane is due to land, dog and I will pick you up at the airport."

"Hear you are not in good health;" Respond: "Been eating shxt sandwichs since last December."

"I have a new lady frind, can I bring her?"

"Does she have another lady friend?"

Have not heard back on that one.

ryc72

Reaction score
Missin, that's an awesome suggestion although probably not this trip. Definitely on my list. Wife pushing hard to go scuba diving in little cayman since I can fish for bones and juvenile tarpon. Will keep folks posted. Happy thanksgiving!