Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  47
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Cosmopolitan vacation with fishing

My wife and I usually take about one big vacation per year. We seem to alternate between "culture" type vacations (cities, museums, architecture) and "nature" type vacations (houseboating, camping or resort).
    2018 may be a "culture" vacation, but I've still got the fishing itch, especially freshwater/trout. My wife has no interest in fishing.
    Can you recommend a city/culture vacation that would have stream fishing really close nearby, perhaps in the city itself, for an afternoon of guided fishing?
    It can be stateside, or international.
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

Default Re: Cosmopolitan vacation with fishing

London - fly fishing for trout in reservoirs or pike on the river Thames or if you want a whole day fishing trout south and west of London within about 90-120 mins.

3. Likes mcnerney, yikes liked this post

Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

5. Likes mcnerney, yikes liked this post

Depending on how far you are willing to travel from the city, what about New York? lots of places in pa, nj, ct, upstate ny, Long Island and nj shore if you want salt, that's all within 1.5 to 3 hours from Manhattan. My wife and daughters went to the nutcracker ballet today while I was daydreaming of my day trip to central pa on Monday.

7. Likes mcnerney, yikes liked this post

You can go to downunder to Australia and New Zealand or Argentina or going to Slovenia and Ireland.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

9. Likes yikes liked this post

I'm not sure this would qualify as culture from the city angle, but how about Durango, CO? Using that as your base, within a few hours drive you have Mesa Verde, Chaco Canyon, and Bandelier, all world-renowned Indian ruins and cliff dwellings. Not far from Bandelier one also has Los Alamos, which ushered in the atomic age.

From a fishing angle, in or close to Durango is the Animas and San Juan, and many small streams within the area. Time of year is important based on run-off expectations.

Though there are many towns to use as your base in that area, Durango has the best restaurants, bars, attractions, and scenery, and offers a piece of the old West in its downtown hotels, all within walking distance of the aforementioned options. There is also the narrow-gauge railroad that runs between Durango and Silverton, for a spectacular day.

11. Likes trout trekker, yikes, wf0 liked this post
    Blog Entries

How about Vancouver, B.C. ? I've read there's good fishing real close to town.

13. Likes yikes, wf0 liked this post
  14. Default Re: Cosmopolitan vacation with fishing

Quote Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
    How about Vancouver, B.C. ? I've read there's good fishing real close to town.
    Grew up in Vancouver, you would have lots of options for fishing as well it you spent 1 or 2 days visiting Victoria and the Island. PM me if you want more info.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

15. Likes karstopo, yikes liked this post
  16. Default Re: Cosmopolitan vacation with fishing

Charleston SC. Saltwater fly fishing for redfish etc. look up lowcountry fly fishing. Go to shop/guides in the area. Plenty of "culture " as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Likes ejsell, karstopo, flyminded liked this post

Nemacolin Resort in Pennsylvania, in the middle of nowhere but the resort offers guided fly trips, five star restaurant, cigar and wine tastings, multimillion dollar art and car collection to tour and purchase from. Also 2 Frank Lloyd Wright homes are near the property including Fallingwater. The resort also has a world class spa, shooting lodge, a jeep 4x4 course and a private zoo. My wife's old boss held a Christmas party there a few years ago. Love to go back but I'd prefer to go for free again☺

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

19. Likes wf0 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast