Suches ,Georgia

mroma522

Reaction score
Hello all,
I just booked a trip to Sutches ,Georgia..great price for a beautiful log home on the Taccoa River...has anyone ever fished the Taccoa?

foulhook3160

Reaction score
Welcome from North Georgia. You certainly have chosen a beautiful area to go see.

As far as fishing the TOCCOA river, you have some options. The upper Toccoa has some spots for wade fishing and even a Delayed Harvest section. Check out GA 60, the community of Dial, Shallowford Bridge, and Aska road.

Below Blue Ridge lake it is a Dam controlled river and can be waded but the opportunities are limited. It is best floated. Google Unicoi Outfitters for info. You have several small creeks in the area that if you like small streams fishing will give you a good time, such as Rock, Coopers, Waters, and Dicks.

If you a fan of fine bamboo rods, make a trip into Blue Ridge, check out Oyster Rods. Blue Ridge also has some fine places to eat.

These are just a few in your area, plenty of more places to see/fish.

mroma522

Reaction score
Hello foulhook,
Sure looks like a beautiful spot.Im staying in the lower tailwater section.
Probably do most of my fishing right out back of the house. I did visit the Unicoi
website as I will be hiring a guide for at least 1 day possibly 2...seems like you know the area pretty well...I'll make it a point for sure to visit Oyster rods as I'm sure I'll be visiting Blue Ridge..
Thanks
Matt
Ps
And thanks to jayr for the Perfect Fly site...

JDR

Reaction score
Do not miss the opportunity to visit Bill Oyster's shop. His rods are superb, but his silver engraving is stunning. While you are there, see if you can get someone to tell you the story about what almost got engraved on the rod he made for President Jimmy Carter.

Post corrected since my memory didn't serve me as well as I had hoped.

Last edited:

foulhook3160

Reaction score
Hope you have a great time, you will be on a great tailwater, and if your house is like most I have seen, you will not have tons of access to the river. Think about heading to the DH section to get more wading water. Enjoy the visit to Oyster Rods but plan on traveling a few miles to get to fishable water from the shop.